DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

38 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Kevin Durant will finally make his home debut for the Phoenix Suns tonight, unless y’know, someone steps on a crack and breaks his mother’s back, a piano falls on him, a black cat crosses his path, or something else equally unlikely.  

Just keep him away from the brain tonic, the shrink(who makes you cluck like a chicken) or the night shift at the nuclear plant. . . 

• Haha 3

I guess the good news for Phoenix is as long as he's healthy, there's probably never been an MVP caliber player who can more easily just slip into basically any system or lineup with almost no adjustment time than him.

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Jrue put 51/8/8 on Indiana in only 32 minutes tonight. Giannis had 38/17/12. Preposterous.

Just to add to the fun, Brook Lopez tossed in 21/8/1. Not a bad line from the third most productive guy you put on the court.

I still don't quite know why people sit and spin on Jrue Holiday so much. I get how good he is defensively, but when you've got Brook Lopez and Giannis behind you, it's easy to take some more chances, too.  But his offense.  Yeesh, this kind of see-saw thing, between 'career night' and 'do nothing' is why I think he's not THE MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER OF HIS GENERATION like some do, I think he's rated exactly where he ought to be.  He's the kind of guy who ought to be the third option at best.

But yeah, I'll take it.  Please win out and at least put some pressure on these guys (tough ask, though; Boston's remaining is NASTY).

4 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I haven't seen a lot of the Kings this year, but surely that 6th spot is the one everyone below should be aiming for here?

On one hand, they have no or virtually no playoff experience on the entire roster, they don't play a whole lot of defense, and they're pretty young.

On the other, they're bouncy, athletic, and technically the most efficient scoring offense in NBA history. (Granted this is something like the fourth time in six years that record has been broken, and a lot of it is that offense is more efficient now than ever before across the NBA. But they're still the most efficient offense in the league by a decent margin.)

Also, if you believe "clutch" is a real thing, Fox has been an absolute killer at the end of games.

I could see them being a surprise easy out. But I could also see them just running an older, more established team out the gym like OKC did that one year to San Antonio. (Particularly, I think the Kings might be a nightmare for the Clippers)

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

Joel Embiid against Boston - 52 pts, 13 Reb, 20-25 from the floor. 

First player to score half his team's points while shooting 80%.

Second player (Wilt) to go 50 & 10 while shooting 80%.

Not bad. 

The Mavs are sitting 5 players including Kyrie in what is essentially both a "must win" and "must lose" game

All-Star guard Kyrie Irving and four key Dallas Mavericks role players will sit out Friday night's home game against the Chicago Bulls, a game the Mavs must win to avoid being eliminated from the play-in scenario.

The team announced late Friday morning that Irving (right foot injury recovery), shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr. (left ankle soreness), small forward Josh Green (rest), and power forward/centers Maxi Kleber (right hamstring injury recovery) and Christian Wood (rest) would all sit out against the Bulls, essentially for precautionary reasons.

Dallas (38-42) is tied with the Bulls for the 10th-best lottery odds and owes the New York Knicks a top-10 protected pick as the final payment for the Kristaps Porzingis trade.

The Mavericks must win Friday night and Sunday afternoon against the San Antonio Spurs, and the Oklahoma City Thunder must lose at home Sunday to the Memphis Grizzlies, for Dallas to qualify for the play-in as the Western Conference's No. 10 seed.

All-Star guard Luka Doncic is listed as probable because of left thigh injury recovery. On Tuesday, Doncic publicly rejected the idea of sitting out down the stretch as a tanking measure to protect the Mavs' lottery position.

"When there's still a chance, I'm going to play," Doncic said Tuesday when asked about sitting out down the stretch. "So that's not gonna happen yet."

Mavs governor Mark Cuban, who paid a $600,000 fine in 2018 for publicly admitting the Mavs were tanking, said Wednesday night that "of course I understand" the thought process from fans that protecting the lottery position is Dallas' smartest strategy down the stretch.

"The guys don't wanna do that," Cuban said. "Players aren't gonna do that. Players don't do that."

I'm not saying this to target anyone, because I like everyone here, but one of the most frustrating things about this Mavs season is having to listen to all the takes from people who don't closely follow the team and their actual problems. You get fucking conmen like Stephen A, Perkins or whoever, and that stuff gets ran with. Folks are looking at surface level stuff and immediately wanting to put the blame solely on Kyrie or Luka, and neither of them should be taking the blame.

I've gone on record multiple times about my feelings on Kyrie, and I was against the trade. However, I have to be fair to him, because he was a model teammate and roster member during his entire tenure. People are saying his "tanked another team", when his only crime was being an incompatible player with this team. That is the team's fault, not his. Luka is Luka and has been dissected to death. At this point you know what he is and what you need to put around him, and again that is a failure by the team.

The team's issues were deeper than that. Namely it's coaching. Jason Kidd is always and forever a rotten coach, and I miss Carlisle more everyday. I wouldn't trust that man to build my rotation on 2K, but less on a professional team. There is no reason for all the hokey pokey with Christian Wood's minutes, or not just letting Jaden Hardy go out and get some buckets. 

Then there is the defense. It stunk before the trade, and got worse after trading the guy who is probably a top 10-15 man to man defender in the league. Guys like Bullock, Green and Kleber are decent, but not lockdown guys, and two of them are showing their age badly. Then there was the rebounding. I like Dwight Powell, but when the coach feels like he is your best option at starting center, you are already cooked.

All that said, tanking the last leg of the season was the right move.

• Like 3

As a kid who used to look at Cal Ripken Jr's baseball card and wonder why he had a consecutive-games streak, when I knew the seasons were 162 games long but he only played 161 sometimes, I am 1 million percent here for Bridges doing this.