DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

On 3/15/2023 at 8:36 PM, SirFozzie said:

When even a fan of the winning team says the refs completely botched the last few minutes of a game, you know it was bad.

They were pretty bad in the lead up (missing a Goubert elbow to Jaylen Brown who is wearing a mask because of injury, but catching the retaliation), but it was prime refshow in the last few seconds.

Celtics get an offensive rebound with a few seconds left. Wolves try desperately to steal and/or foul . Celtics coach comes running out on the floor to call timeout. Despite the celtics player having the ball when this happened, the refs ignore this, and don't call a foul either, deciding it's a jump ball. (edit: They don't T up the Celtics coach for running halfway across the floor in his attempt to call timeout)

Then it goes the other way, Grant Williams basically steals the ball out of the refs hands on the jump ball, and Celtics get possession, and two free throws which basically ice the game (up 4 with 1.1 on the clock), The refs then eject two Timberwolves players for complaining about the jump ball result, Celtics hit one free throw, and the Wolves hit a meaningless buzzer beater to make it a 2 point game at the end.

Not biased referees, just SHIT referees.

In fact, the last two minutes report should just be two pictures: 1 of the refs taken pre-game, the other being the betting area after 10 rounds of cow chip bingo.

edit 2: For reference, here was Grant completely ignoring the "wait for ball to hit peak" before slapping it to a teammate

LOL. He hit the ball straight down like a volleyball spike. WTF. 

Dillion Brooks got hit with this 18th technical of the season (for taunting... again) and will get hit with a 1 game suspension (again)

Granted the game he is gonna miss is against the Rockets... some punishment

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Heat beat the Knicks last night.

Eric Spoelstra is now only the 4th coach to reach the 700 wins club. 

I don't know why but realizing Spoelstra has been coaching the Heat since 2008 makes me feel a million years old

• Like 3

The Mavericks are filing an official protest of their 127-125 loss to Golden State.

The refs in their opinion incorrectly awarded the Warriors a foul at the end of the game with two free throws that made the difference.  

Right now, Phoenix is 4th in the West. New Orleans is 12th, but just three games behind them.

Between Minnesota in 7th and New Orleans there is only one game. The play-in race could be insane. 

That controversial Dallas loss put them ninth, having to potentially win twice to get in, and puts Golden State in sixth, clear of the play-in for now. Had it gone the other day, they'd be flipped.

(Apparently the protest is actually a play late in the third where Cuban claims the refs ruled it Dallas ball, changed the call during a timeout, didn't tell the Mavs, and handed it to Golden State to inbound with all the Mavs on the other end of the court, resulting in an unguarded dunk. The ref claims the on court call was always Dubs ball, and was signaled as such, followed by signaling an automatic timeout charged to Dallas.)

So Dallas has now slipped to 11th, currently out of the play-in (though only a game and half back of 7th)

If they miss the playoffs, especially even the play-in... It really feels like the clock starts ticking loud on the "do they need to trade Luka before he hits free agency" watch.

I got to go to the Mavs-Hornets game yesterday. Dallas is fucking rotten, but getting to see Luka have a "Luka game" in person is quite an experience that everyone should have.

At this point, I want Dallas to punt the rest of the season, since we get our pick if it's top 10. I don't think Luka is as eager to leave as the ESPN types really want you to think, but I also know he's not Dirk, and he's not going to deal with years of losing.  Let Kyrie do what he wants to do in the offseason, and make a real effort to retool the roster. Luka, Green and Kleber should be the only people safe on this team.

Also get that terrorist Jason Kidd out of town.

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Knicks Twitter yesterday was basically nothing but TRADE THE WORLD FOR LUKA!

Yeah but then you don't have anybody around Luka and you look like... Well, Dallas.

Though if they could get him for their trove of picks without giving up Brunson, Randle, Quickley, etc... But I think Dallas could find a better deal than that.

I also don't think Dallas trades him unless he demands it or it gets close to him hitting free agency without a new deal, so it's probably a moot point right now.

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah but then you don't have anybody around Luka and you look like... Well, Dallas.

I'm enjoying that you expect logic from Knicks fans

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Portland has got to finally blow it up in the off-season. They can't keep dragging this out.

Well this looks like a late attempt to at least slightly improve their lottery odds.