DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NBA: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also fun fact: there have been 13 70+ point games in NBA history. 7 players did it once each and Wilt the other 6.

Also, this is the first season in NBA history that there are two 70+ point games.  

I don't know what the NBA equivalent is of raising the pitching mound... but I think we're rapidly approaching the need for it. 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, this is the first season in NBA history that there are two 70+ point games.  

I don't know what the NBA equivalent is of raising the pitching mound... but I think we're rapidly approaching the need for it. 

Move the three point line?

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Move the three point line?

When guys like Dame and Steph can hit threes regularly from basically one step inside the half court line - moving the three alone won't do anything

It would have to be a combination raising the height of the basket AND moving the three point line back

That being said the NBA - like all other leagues - have decided/realized that people want to see scoring so I highly doubt they are in a rush to make any changes

Dame is wild. He's on the shortest list of my favorite players ever. Dude's a real-life folk hero. He kind of was forgotten about after last year and the Blazers ended the Dame Time era. But man that dude can be the most scorched earth player and biggest assassin in one package. We're lucky to have him. 

I think he's a great "real life babyface." He's not going to win a title unless he ends up on a team when he's 38. But nobody appreciates the journey more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Dame is wild. He's on the shortest list of my favorite players ever. Dude's a real-life folk hero. He kind of was forgotten about after last year and the Blazers ended the Dame Time era. But man that dude can be the most scorched earth player and biggest assassin in one package. We're lucky to have him. I think he's a great "real life babyface." He's not going to win a title unless he ends up on a team when he's 38. But nobody appreciates the journey more. 

In my 2K save, the Blazers got the top pick next year and drafted Wembanyama. 

I've got half a mind to up the difficulty and get swept in the Finals by them just because. 

• Like 1

So the Warriors have won three straight (granted, Houston, Minnesota, and Portland isn't a murderers row) and are a half game up on Dallas for the sixth seed and avoiding the play-in.

Right now Sacramento is third, and while I love the vibes and story for them, if they end up against the Dubs in the first round, and GS has gotten healthy... I do not like that matchup for the Kings.

There's a reason only one team has ever made a run from sixth all the way to the title, but if Steph and Wiggins and GPII all get back in time to get in a rhythm... I wouldn't want to have my team need to beat them.

I dig how the Clippers got Westbrook and have gone 0-3 since.  Title push!

Also, Kings/Warriors would be a great series, but don't forget GS is mostly OLLLLLLD and Sacto has two really fast guards in Monk & Fox.  That's part of why they were able to run the Clips in the 351 game.  I'd love to see a Blitzball series between Sacramento/GS, whatever round it happens.

Edited by Contentious C

Oh, I've seen this look a million times before on a bunch of girls' faces, and it's always "If this guy didn't have the best coke I've ever had... ugh."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

so, apparently the NBA and NBPA are working a thing into the next CBA that a player must play a minimum amount of games to be eligible for season awards. You know this will mean players playing one or two minutes, tops in games instead.

edit: https://hoopswire.com/nba-union-nearing-agreement-on-load-management-rule/

Edited by SirFozzie

Ja checked into somewhere in Florida for counseling. If it’s for that or addiction (as people are speculating because Ja put up a lot online about some expensive thing he likes to drink)… hope he gets help and straight. The stories that came out about him these past few weeks and the supposed photos of rhe $50K he dropped at the strip club he flashed his piece at are just nuts.

Ja is the one shirsey I have ever purchased. I loved him starting at Murray. Him and the shit-talking Grizzlies are national treasures waiting to hatch. I really hope he figure out his health beyond anything else and gets back to dunking on the world.

• Like 1

Lol, Ja’s agent and pr people are earning their money.  As someone on ESPN radio observed this morning, one of the easiest ways to avoid taking real responsibility is saying “addiction”.  “Mental health issue” works too.  Say either of those two buzzwords and you get a lot of sympathy and often a pass to keep doing what you’ve been doing, at least for awhile.

i’m curious to see where this goes.  It seems less like a mental health/addiction issue and more like an entitlement/didn’t leave the lifestyle behind issue.

Jay Williams was something on his ESPN radio show today.  Basically he went on a rant that circulating stories and pics from the strip club amount to a smear campaign because lots of nba players go to strip clubs daily while on the road and throw lots of money at the dancers.  It’s the polite thing to do, you see.  Nothing unusual about it at all.  I like Jay and listen to the radio show a few days a week, but this had me laughing hard.  Although, if you’re spending that much time in a strip club, maybe you do have an addiction issue.

Anyway, good for Ja’s people for trying to save the brand before he does too much damage.  And maybe he is legitimately getting help?  If it is a mental health or addiction issue, we shouldn’t see him again this season, at a minimum.  I’m going to be skeptical when he fixes himself and rejoins the club just in time for the playoffs.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 9:30 PM, Greggulator said:

Ja checked into somewhere in Florida for counseling. If it’s for that or addiction (as people are speculating because Ja put up a lot online about some expensive thing he likes to drink)… hope he gets help and straight. The stories that came out about him these past few weeks and the supposed photos of rhe $50K he dropped at the strip club he flashed his piece at are just nuts.

Ja is the one shirsey I have ever purchased. I loved him starting at Murray. Him and the shit-talking Grizzlies are national treasures waiting to hatch. I really hope he figure out his health beyond anything else and gets back to dunking on the world.

Apparently it was one of those 48 hour counseling places because he's already out and meeting with Silver trying to get back on the floor.

E: You know that thing in AEW where a wrestler will challenge someone to a match and then like 10 seconds later they already have graphics made up for it?  Just thinking of that for no reason.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

The eight game suspension includes the six games Morant already missed.   He’ll be eligible to play Monday.

I hope his wrist was injured in that slapping, , , ,

• Like 2

When even a fan of the winning team says the refs completely botched the last few minutes of a game, you know it was bad.

They were pretty bad in the lead up (missing a Goubert elbow to Jaylen Brown who is wearing a mask because of injury, but catching the retaliation), but it was prime refshow in the last few seconds.

Celtics get an offensive rebound with a few seconds left. Wolves try desperately to steal and/or foul . Celtics coach comes running out on the floor to call timeout. Despite the celtics player having the ball when this happened, the refs ignore this, and don't call a foul either, deciding it's a jump ball. (edit: They don't T up the Celtics coach for running halfway across the floor in his attempt to call timeout)

Then it goes the other way, Grant Williams basically steals the ball out of the refs hands on the jump ball, and Celtics get possession, and two free throws which basically ice the game (up 4 with 1.1 on the clock), The refs then eject two Timberwolves players for complaining about the jump ball result, Celtics hit one free throw, and the Wolves hit a meaningless buzzer beater to make it a 2 point game at the end.

Not biased referees, just SHIT referees.

In fact, the last two minutes report should just be two pictures: 1 of the refs taken pre-game, the other being the betting area after 10 rounds of cow chip bingo.

edit 2: For reference, here was Grant completely ignoring the "wait for ball to hit peak" before slapping it to a teammate

Edited by SirFozzie