DVDVR Message Board

AEW RAMPAGE - 2/17/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I disagreed with JR when he said it was "ironic" that all 6 guys in the match are basketball fans,but - ironically - I agreed with Ex when he said "Nakazawa played football... Ironically" after JR disrespected Nakazawa. Jericho's Stryper shout-out made me lol, too. Orange vs Wheeler should be great. Jericho got a second lol outa me with "undertaking" because I understood that reference .

y6F4ox0.jpg  

I like matches based around bodypart selling! I am maybe getting jaded by all those short Cargill squashes. Swerve vs Dustin gets the main event slot! Is Keith Lee coming back to make the save and the full face turn? More chain wrestling! Cinder block! Lee is DEFINITELY coming back! Hooray! Looking like a 400-pound Captain Holt. I love it!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm late!  It is on at an odd time!  It's The Elite!  It's AR Fox and Top Flight!  There is a basketball theme!  FUN!  AR Fox is the George Gervin of highflyers-  so classy and elegant.  Okay, I am now tired of the basketball crap.  AR Fox is a great Ricky Morton.  Dante Martin and Kenny Omega is as good as Omega and Fox!  Then all kinds of stuff happens and this is just an overstuffed crust pizza of a wrestling match.  ONE WINGED ANGEL on Darius!  OH NO! THE LIGHTS WENT OUT!  BRODY KING! MALAKAI BLACK!  Oh!  That'll be good!  Oh man, Yuta vs Orange Cassidy!  That'll be good.  It's Daniel Garcia!  It's Ricky Starks!  Oh man!  Nice punch by Starks!  Garcia hits a beautiful Dragonscrew to start his FORAY  into beating the crap out of Starks.  So Starks is wrestling like Jerry Lawler.  He punches to transition.  Great Lariat by Starks to counter his mangled knee!  Garcia looks fucking GREAT in this. ACTION ANDRETTI!  SAMMY!  Ricky Starks goes all out on ADRENALINE and hits a lot of offense.  GREAT finish. That match was pretty great.  Garcia and Starks have a real chemistry and I hope they battle it out for many years to come.  It's Dustin Rhodes!  It's Shane Swerve Strickland!  DUSTIN BLEEDS after Swerve drops a GNARLY dropkick to Dustin's face.  Swerve is fucking great in picture in picture beating on the open wound.  CODE RED!  FOR TWO!  GREAT DEATH VALLEY DRIVER ON THE APRON by Swerve!  GREAT SUPERPLEX by Dustin!  INTO A PILEDRIVER!  FOR TWO!  Parker Boudreaux!  DQ~!  BOUDREAUX IS WARDLOW!  KEITH LEE! I would like to see more Dustin/Strickland matches. Well that was an awesome batch of wrestling.  AEW RULES THE E E MOTHREFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Basketball Match maybe my new favorite gimmick match. Starting with the tipoff was hilarious. The Elite calling a timeout. He hit him with a three pointer! All balls legal!

Nice to see Vertvixen for a minute.  Dustin/Swerve ruled. Very bloody and the super rare DQ

• Like 3

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Keith Lee is your pissed off grandpa

Keith Lee is a bizarro world babyface Uncle Rukus and Swerve is a heel Riley Freeman

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

That six man with the "legal basketballs" was fucking terrible. 

Nice of Know to allow use of international objects

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

JR drags down anything he commentates on and he needs to disappear

I agree with the first part but after reading his book and how hard he took Jan's death I kinda want him to do this until he dies cause its all he has left 

Wish they would do something sustained with Dustin, loved with countered Swerve's somersault thingamabob with a CRACKYAINTHEMOUTH kick

Also nice little heel promo from Yuta , continuing BCC being tweeners with MOX heeling on Hangman lately 

• Like 2

You crazy motherfuckers can't have really liked that basketball shit. It was fucking phony. It was worse than the RAW Bowl. At least that didn't have Razor throwing a fucking football at Kid to distract him from actually fighting, like a fucking moron. They fucking did a shitty cosplay Globetrotters routine. Omega should have thrown a bucket of confetti at the dopey ref.  Curley Neal is spinning a ball on his head in his grave. 
Top Flight and AR Fox deserve better than this horseshit. I was watching this with my nephew. When Top Flight came out he popped cause they were his favorite act he saw at the Dynamite we went to a few months ago. A few minutes into the Bucks basketball bullshit, and he checked out .

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

The lack of DQ finishes makes an actual DQ finish kinda sorta exciting. Especially knowing there's another Swerve v Dustin bout to come. Keith Lee's hair, uh, hmmm, ahhh? Are we trying to age him? I was very much looking forward to Top Fox v the Elite, but the goofy Basketball shenanigans wasn't quite what I had in mind. Still some fun stuff in there, but a slight disappointment. I was also hoping for a little more from Starks v Garcia, but certainly it was fine. Oh man, I hate to say it, but right now the 'she's cold' complaint department on Jade is unfortunately very much correct. Wheeler-Orange promo was total cheese whiz, but I like seeing Mark Henry sitting down with the stars. Let's make that a weekly thing. There are few things I truly hate on AEW TV, but I find the constant bottom left 'Coming up' graphics extremely distracting and completely unnecessary. It's foolish to assume viewers are going to remember all that stuff, And(!) stay focused on the match. Just cut a goddamn segment and properly preview at the start of the show and the finish. It'd be fine if it were one graphic and shown at an appropriate time, but an appropriate time is not during the match. You're pulling away focus from the bouts with this bullshit dearest AEW production team! Stop trying to shoehorn so much stuff in. Hey hey, ho ho, the ADD promoting has got to go! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

The Yuta-OC segment with Henry looked to have been filmed in the courtyard of the La Posada Hotel, which is in the historic district less than a mile from the border. Stayed there a couple of times, it’s nothing super special but does have some old parts and a decent steakhouse.

I didn’t hate the opener but the basketball bits took away from a potentially excellent match and went on too long, and I don’t know why they ran with a rematch to give The Elite a decisive victory, burying the young guys who they were supposedly elevating. I wish we were getting more Omega singles matches. HoB vs Elite is going to be...interesting.

Starks-Garcia felt short and had too much of the action during PiP, but was good during what we saw. Would like to see a much longer match with less Action.

Oh, another Jade squash. Put this angle out of our misery.

Took a while for Swerve and Dustin to click, and Dustin’s usually excellent punches and kicks had a lot of daylight in them. Got hot towards the end. Wondered what the point of Parker was given how close Swerve was to getting pinned. Keith Lee is still massive but looks as old as me.

This was a disappointing episode.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

Also nice little heel promo from Yuta , continuing BCC being tweeners with MOX heeling on Hangman lately 

See I thought Yuta came off as whiney again. I mean he left Best Friends it's not like he was kicked out or anything. I can see him wanting to get revenge but the promo came off wrong IMO. 

Since Jade can do a semi-competitive squash, I thought we were getting one, but nope! 

Garcia/Starks was good stuff.

Keith deciding to not bother with the Grecian Formula anymore is different and I'm not sure if it's a good look or not. 

We watched Rampage this morning before my son’s basketball game. He was totally into the basketball spots. It was corny as hell, but at least there were a few fun, athletic spots thrown in there. 

Like that Swerve is being featured more. I’ve really come around on him. Doesn’t hurt to be in there with Dustin bleeding like a stuck pig. Look forward to his match with Lee, hopefully at Revolution. 

• Like 3

Opener was crazy, again, but The Elite put their opponents away more convicingly, this time. House of Black challenging is the right move, but the fuck was the point of all the Eddie Kingston stuff prior to this? Just to lead to a match between Eddie and Ortiz on the Buy In/Zero Hour?!?

Jade gave Vertvixen pretty much nothing. And that didn't even lead to anything on the PPV yet, but another win for Jade I guess?

Garcia vs Starks was good enough, Sammy vs Andretti should be nice, too!

Yay, Dustin! Big, although tainted win. Swerve needs to get another go at this. He and Parker were about to end Rhodes for good until some old, grey, bald guy used Keith Lee's music to distract the two so he could make a save. He apparently also took out Trench.

Mox vs Uno is probably a massacre, but you'll know Uno will go out swinging.

OC vs Wheeler should be pretty emotional, I guess this would be a consolation prize since Darby vs OC champion vs champion match can no longer happen, for the time being. Although, Wheeler hasn't exactly been a fighting champion so far.

Shit, I hope Aussie Open would get one of the spots in the 4-way, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

• Like 1

I was thinking they could keep things going with the Elite vs Too Flight but let AR Fox walk off into the sunset by having Fox step back and cut like a "I'm holding you boys back, you gotta do it without me" kind of promo. Then you keep doing variations of the Martins vs the Elite in singles and tag matches while Elite feuds with HoB. Then finally by the summer ppv Too Flight are like "we found a new trios partner. This guy's from ROH too but he knows more about tag team wrestling, and more about fighting the Young Bucks, then just about anybody" and you have Too Flight and Mark Briscoe win the trios titles. 

Uhhh… the NBA All Star game is the big BIG deal. AEW and WWE are both trying to piggyback popularity here.

It’s not “Let’s encourage Wrestling fans to watch Basketball” it’s “Let’s hope some Basketball fans watch Wrestling.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shartnado said:

OC vs Wheeler should be pretty emotional, I guess this would be a consolation prize since Darby vs OC champion vs champion match can no longer happen, for the time being. Although, Wheeler hasn't exactly been a fighting champion so far.

I really hope the play here is OC beating Wheeler for the AA, Wheeler challenging him to a match for the Pure title, where Orange gives away all his rope breaks in the first 10 seconds by leaning against the ropes during a handshake or something, and loses by submission/ref stoppage, then tie-breaker of some description from there.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 1:02 AM, Gordlow said:

I disagreed with JR when he said it was "ironic" that all 6 guys in the match are basketball fans,but - ironically - I agreed with Ex when he said "Nakazawa played football... Ironically" after JR disrespected Nakazawa. Jericho's Stryper shout-out made me lol, too. Orange vs Wheeler should be great. Jericho got a second lol outa me with "undertaking" because I understood that reference .

y6F4ox0.jpg  

I like matches based around bodypart selling! I am maybe getting jaded by all those short Cargill squashes. Swerve vs Dustin gets the main event slot! Is Keith Lee coming back to make the save and the full face turn? More chain wrestling! Cinder block! Lee is DEFINITELY coming back! Hooray! Looking like a 400-pound Captain Holt. I love it!

Looking good, my friend xxx.

• Thanks 1