DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-EVOLUTION IV - 3/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So apparently it wasn't water that was thrown in the kids face,  it was tequila.  Did MJF know that?  Obviously not.   But the man is playing a dangerous game in the effort of being a heel.   He is lucky that it was a woman with the kid and he was lucky that Tony Khan was able to bribe the family enough to not make it a big deal

And I know people are going to play the "all these snowflakes being mad at the heel must not know shit about history" card.   That is fair but if you are going to mess with the fans like that you better make sure that you can fight back.   

Holy shit, the water being tequila does in fact make it way worse. Especially when tossing it on a kid. There's a line somewhere in there and that is definitely crossing it. I don't care if you're a heel or not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

This discussion re: Punk is making me feel less naive about my being open to the possibility at the time that the show was wrapping up early not so that the iron man match could go into OT but so that Punk could come out.

That's what I fully expected and I was a little disappointed. I hope he comes back.

6 minutes ago, Krone said:

Holy shit, the water being tequila does in fact make it way worse. Especially when tossing it on a kid. There's a line somewhere in there and that is definitely crossing it. I don't care if you're a heel or not.

One day MJF is going to "best heel" the wrong person and get fucking mauled and he'll deserve it.

Fuck Max.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

That's what I fully expected and I was a little disappointed. I hope he comes back.

In a perfect world gone mad when the orange light came back on and HoB were already leaving the ring it would have been because Punk was standing over Omega ready to throw down.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

And I know people are going to play the "all these snowflakes being mad at the heel must not know shit about history" card.   That is fair but if you are going to mess with the fans like that you better make sure that you can fight back.   

Ironically the same tuff guys who take this stance also never shut up about "omg this one time this old hick who was a heel died and they announced it in the arena and the fans cheered the fans are so mean they don't respect that we're human beings"

Really liked this show. The Elite jobbing clean as a sheet made my night. I hope this is a start of many good things for HOB. 

Loved Starks winning. Was ready for an Andretti turn but was pleasantly surprised.

Page/Mox was all the good things. They murdered each other.

The tag title match was a bit goofy but was great in moments. Where does the Acclaimed go from here?

I'm just not an MJF fan. I was really hoping Dragon would take the title off of him. 

• Like 3

After having slept on it,  that was the best AEW PPV ever.  It was obviously the most well paced and easy to digest show they've ever done and the match quality top to bottom surpassed every other show I can think of..   Stylistically, it was great to have such a diverse card as well.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

The tag title match was a bit goofy but was great in moments. Where does the Acclaimed go from here?

I'm concerned about this myself as for obvious reasons neither then or FTR should 1) be heels or 2) lose anytime soon. I think put the belts on FTR, turn them heel in 6 months and have the Acclaimed win the belts back is probably the most generous scenario for both teams. Still runs the risk of the Acclaimed going cold though. Maybe the answer is...a secondary tag team title 😄 😄 😄

Long-term I still think Bowens as a singles main eventer is a thing they need to explore but I would never break up the team, just have them work singles while still teaming regularly. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I'm concerned about this myself as for obvious reasons neither then or FTR should 1) be heels or 2) lose anytime soon. I think put the belts on FTR, turn them heel in 6 months and have the Acclaimed win the belts back is probably the most generous scenario for both teams. Still runs the risk of the Acclaimed going cold though. Maybe the answer is...a secondary tag team title 😄 😄 😄

Long-term I still think Bowens as a singles main eventer is a thing they need to explore but I would never break up the team, just have them work singles while still teaming regularly. 

The problem is that they had them face almost everyone when they had the titles. It was successful as they're better off now and probably don't need the belts. Best choice might be to put them up against the Elite, put them over with Billy, and then have them face the House of Black? Meanwhile, you can spin off the Elite to Omega vs Takeshita and Bucks vs FTR III.

It's AEW so the roster always gives them a lot of choices but Acclaimed feuded with most of the heel teams.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily think The Acclaimed need the tag titles to remain popular and do their thing, they can have feuds on TV without the belts. I'm glad they won them and had a bit of a run but I don't think that was ever the long term plan, it was just right place/right time. AEW has so many good tag teams that haven't been in the title scene ever or in awhile that I want to see go after the titles/feud with FTR, such as Top Flight, Private Party, Young Bucks, Dark Order, and Lucha Bros (I know the YB held the belts last year but the feud with FTR writes itself). I'd rather see one of them involved then going back to The Acclaimed this year, it feels like Acclaimed/Gunns have been the focus of the tag title scene for long enough and I'm ready for something new.

• Like 2

Eh, as a parent, the whole drink think doesn't bother me.

If it happened to my kid, and he was upset, I wouldn't be happy. But, it seems like AEW did everything they could to make it up to the family.

I'm sure MJF got a "don't ever do that again" backstage afterwards.

They kid may have been upset in the moment, rightfully so, but he'll have an awesome story for his friends at school today.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The problem is that they had them face almost everyone when they had the titles. It was successful as they're better off now and probably don't need the belts. Best choice might be to put them up against the Elite, put them over with Billy, and then have them face the House of Black? Meanwhile, you can spin off the Elite to Omega vs Takeshita and Bucks vs FTR III.

It's AEW so the roster always gives them a lot of choices but Acclaimed feuded with most of the heel teams.

Fair enough, and I do like the idea of them feuding with the Elite. Keith Lee will also need partners besides Dustin once Trench starts working and the Mogul Affiliates are officially a trio. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, just drew said:

Really liked this show. The Elite jobbing clean as a sheet made my night. I hope this is a start of many good things for HOB. 

Loved Starks winning. Was ready for an Andretti turn but was pleasantly surprised.

Page/Mox was all the good things. They murdered each other.

I'm just not an MJF fan. I was really hoping Dragon would take the title off of him. 

Using this post as my outline since I agree with all of this (although I don't hate The Elite and I don't care about HoB).

Glad to see Starks get the big win in a good match, like the codebreaker-spear reversal. Also glad it was clean and Andretti was minimally involved. Hopefully they can actually move Ricky up the card.

Jungle Boy-Christian didn't do much for me, other than Christian's turtleneck gear. Having this on the same show with a higher card Texas death match meant that this was relatively tame. I guess if I had been watching since 2019 I would be really bought into Jack Perry as a future star, but I didn't and I'm not. I don't know, needed more true hate and less wishy-washy.

The Trios title is almost as meaningless as the TBS title at this point, but it was a very good match in the sense that everyone got to do their best work, and I enjoyed it especially when Brody King got to just maul people.

Women's three-way had some moments but never fully clicked. Ruby as "the third way" was super interesting, we need more stories where someone says "No, I don't have to choose a side, I choose myself and the title". Her turn makes no sense to me and felt very much like some of the dumb NWO turns that really killed people's heat, but hey, at least she was able to eat the pin to protect Saraya's undefeated record.

Texas Death Match was just a great all-out brawl that made good use of the barbed wire and felt like Page's graduation from the BCC training fights except this was about hate, not respect. The bricks were a new thing for me.

I don't actually remember much about Joe-Wardlow other than Wardlow not hitting the symphony and instead beating Joe with one of his own moves (a theme for the night). Other than winning the Face of the Revolution match, I'm not sure Hobbs has really shown enough to earn a title run so we'll see where they go with this. I like the idea of this as a hoss belt, maybe we can get Keith Lee involved.

Tag match had lots of Memphis, comedy, and fanservice but once OC and Danhausen were the 4th team it was obvious who was going to eat the pin, only minor doubt was whether it would be Gunns or Triple J. Glad FTR is back, but feel like Acclaimed are getting kind of screwed.

I was very into the main event, there was actually a lot less stalling and chickenshit hiding from MJF than I expected. It's funny because after Danielson won the first fall my immediate thought was "he should immediately go for another pin!" and then that came into play a couple of minutes later. Lots of hardway blood in this, still not sure how MJF got that huge knot on his head but he was about a .6 Ruby after that. The table spot almost went really bad, some of the metal frame was sticking out right by Danielson's head. Like many, I was surprised Chekov's water bottle didn't pay off (but not surprised Max needed water after dehydrating himself for his thirst trap photo). MJF impressed me as a wrestler, but also did a lot of the things that make me hate him as a heel in the "I don't want to see this asshole have any success" way more than the "I hope some good guy really sticks it to this bad guy".  Punk, Mox, and now Danielson have put MJF over. I'm not sure he will ever pay that forward.

I was fully expecting Punk to walk in at the end.

Finally, if this is Danielson's last run, you really need to give him a short time with your main title to have his name be a part of that lineage.

• Like 1

Here's my take on what Max did. I don't want to sound like a tough guy, but he does that to my kid? I'm going to try to fuck him up. We're told as fans that when you cross that barricade you're in their world and you're fair game to get fucked up or worse by the wrestlers. The same should apply if wrestlers cross that same barricade to go into the crowd and then proceed to throw your drink in your child's face. Folks, that is assault and you're totally within your right to defend yourself at that point. Max is fucking lucky he's surrounded by security when he's out there and he was especially lucky in this instance.

But this is also the perfect example of Max's character as a human being. If anything, this just exposes him more as a real life piece of shit. There's zero reason to pull that stunt. You have a million ways to get over as a heel without resorting to some lame Bubba Ray type shit. One day Max is going to fuck around and find out with the wrong person.

My opinion on the show is pretty much the same as everyone else's. Great show, Wardlow vs Joe was the weakest match, main event really surprised me in how much it pulled me in.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Maybe in 1983 somewhere MJF could pull those stunts and it'd cause a riot and everyone would praise him as a legendary Roddy Piper type figure but even then doing it with a kid who isn't a plant is pretty messed up. I appreciate the efforts MJF goes to be an asshole but that tells me no he's probably just an asshole.. 

Not to turn this into an AEW vs. WWE thing but MJF would probably be fired today if he did that at a WWE show.  Let's be honest.. 

• Like 6

On a side note regarding the drink, holy shit, that's a big fucking cup for a drink with tequila in it. I didn't realize you could get a margarita Big Gulp sized at arenas. Must have cost her at least $50 if a shitty little mix drink typically runs $10 and $12 for a "craft" beer like Blue Moon...

• Haha 4

Reading that Amanda Huber was the one out there trying to make things right with the kid makes me hope she's well financially compensated for whatever other backstage roles she has. Being called upon to be the adult in a situation involving adults behaving like children is the worst. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

On a side note regarding the drink, holy shit, that's a big fucking cup for a drink with tequila in it. I didn't realize you could get a margarita Big Gulp sized at arenas. Must have cost her at least $50 if a shitty little mix drink typically runs $10 and $12 for a "craft" beer like Blue Moon...

Lmao yeah not to downplay the contents of the cup at all because it's just as bad in principle whether it was water or tequila but I am almost certain we're going to get confirmation in the next 24 hours that it was in fact water (again, just as bad in principle). 

• Like 1

I'm mostly mad at MJF for doing that because now I have to read all this pearl clutching for a week.

It was a shitty thing to do. Yes. But the kid got to have a great experience afterwards and it's not like he was physically injured or anything.

Like I said, I'm sure MJF has been told that under no circumstances is he allowed to do anything like that again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Maybe in 1983 somewhere MJF could pull those stunts and it'd cause a riot and everyone would praise him as a legendary Roddy Piper type figure but even then doing it with a kid who isn't a plant is pretty messed up. I appreciate the efforts MJF goes to be an asshole but that tells me no he's probably just an asshole.. 

Not to turn this into an AEW vs. WWE thing but MJF would probably be fired today if he did that at a WWE show.  Let's be honest.. 

Eh, that's really tough to say. If it's some dude who is just on Main Event then yeah, they're probably going to be fired. If it's MJF or someone else at the top of the card, then they'll probably get chewed out or fined. 

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

She had front row seats so maybe a $50 drink is just change to her.   If MJF really truly wants to test free agency in 2024 man he's gonna be in for a rude awakening. WWE would probably offer him a deal but everything changes for him.  Everything.  Nick Khan or Triple H (or Vince) now own you and everything about you and if you don't play ball they'll have you jobbing on Main Event to Jinder fucking Mahal. 

• Like 3