DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-EVOLUTION IV - 3/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I decided this time to take in the PPV theater experience, and after checking just now, it seems like I'm the only one who will be there.

I don't necessarily think that it's indicative of anything besides the fact that they're probably not going to come back to North Carolina any time soon. (A shame we're missing out on the sing-songy Justin Roberts "North Carolina" as opposed to the Ray Clay version that it's based off of.)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StarChief EagleDemon said:

I decided this time to take in the PPV theater experience, and after checking just now, it seems like I'm the only one who will be there.

I don't necessarily think that it's indicative of anything besides the fact that they're probably not going to come back to North Carolina any time soon. (A shame we're missing out on the sing-songy Justin Roberts "North Carolina" as opposed to the Ray Clay version that it's based off of.)

I checked my local theater and that’s only sold 1 ticket. I don’t think these do much business. @Nice Guy Eddiehas done it before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I checked my local theater and that’s only sold 1 ticket. I don’t think these do much business. @Nice Guy Eddiehas done it before. 

My local theater had about 15 seats sold, if it were just me and my wife we'd get tickets to the theater showing as it boils to the same price per head but we're having friends over so we just ordered it instead.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm actually in the middle of pre-gaming. I like to have a nice buzz going before watching wrestling. 

I’m gonna head to the city soon to pre game myself. Beers at chase are $17.50 lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

This is the highest attended Revolution so far, with a hair over 9,000 tickets sold. They’ve moved 1k tickets in 24 hours.

Pockets of seats on the floor still available, but nothing major. The parts that have the most still available are the upper most decks.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4

Just now, Casey said:

Yeah I totally rather have generic interviewer #14 Lexy Nair.

Tony Khan could take a dump in the ring on live television and a majority of this board would defend it as artistic genius, so I'm not surprised RJ City stinking up the joint with his overacting has found an audience here

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm really loving the pre-show stuff with Renee & RJ City. Fantastic use of those two.

I like how they have it set up with all the tangential characters. Britt talks about women's match. Sonjay talks about the tag match. Hobbs talks about the TNT title match. Etc.

• Like 3

Dragon didn't get his wish to open the show, by the way:

https://itrwrestling.com/news/bryan-danielson-reveals-the-biggest-challenge-of-his-career/

We’re going to be following a lot of great stuff, including the Mox-‘Hangman’ Texas Deathmatch. The promoters from yesteryear would say that you don’t follow blood with wrestling, but that’s exactly what we’re doing. So it presents those types of challenges. To me, that’s exciting.

This is maybe the biggest challenge I’ve put in front of myself in my entire career. I can’t think of anything else with more pressure mentally or physically.”

22 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

If he was a manager or something it would be fine but as an interviewer it's like having an amateur comedian show up and try to loudly do his set overtop of the pro set you actually paid to see. 

Well he is kind of a comedian since he doesn't wrestle anymore already so it makes sense. 

I must say this pre show felt like a WWE YouTube pre show.  That isn't a compliment 

Edited by hammerva

AEW ppvs almost always overachieve. Fun show, only match that didn't do anything for me was Joe-Wardlow, but I got my dishes done so it was useful.

Bryce did some god tier reffing at the end of that Iron Man.

• Like 3

The iron man match meant that a significant amount of the program was going to be set aside for that one event, but the PPV as a whole had a lot less extraneous bullshit. Even the in-between match segments didn't have any lengthy recaps.

The preshow match was a faced paced showcase of all the guys involved and what you'd expect of a Lucha Bros match. Nice showcase of Mark Briscoe as well.

There was no reason for Starks and Jericho to be wrestling again, but the match itself was totally fine. Starks went over clean as he should and there weren't any post-match shenanigans to suck the heat back out of the results. Now let's hope Starks can move into a feud with someone not tied to Jericho.

Jungle Boy/Christian was another match I didn't care about but get they needed to resolve the feud after Christian's injury put a halt to it earlier. Two NHB matches on one card was a bit too many and the gimmick was a bit too sports entertainment for me, but the match wasn't actively bad.

The trios match was pretty much the selling point of the show for me. I was hoping The Elite would keep their goofy bullshit to a minimum and put effort into having a serious sprint, and wasn't let down. There was too much action going on to really call and a refreshing lack of outside interference from The Elite's goons or Julia Hart (even that apron bump wasn't a big factor in it). It was nice seeing HOB win clean and I wouldn't mind seeing some singles matches between Omega and Matthews or Black.

The women's match was there. Jamie Hayter looked like a star. Didn't much care about Ruby's turn

Page and Moxley have had enough matches and I don't have a ton of intereset in either guy, but this match was better than I was expecting.

The TV titles match was a case of neither guy really needing to lose. It was also a match that should have featured a bunch of meat slapping and a finish in short order

Tag match would have been fine on Dynamite but I guess a cooler match was needed before the main event. FTR showing up made the whole segment worthwhile.

I get the storyline decision around the world title match stipulation, but still don't agree that it was necessary. That being said, this was one of the better iron man matches I can remember. The hour just flew by and there were not a whole lot of dead spots/rest holds. Lenghty pin reversal segments, brawling segments, chain segments, and ending with an extended dueling submission segment. Danielson could get a good match out of a moldy bag of vegatables, but MJF more than carried his weight here. It's pretty much impossible to naysay MJF's in-ring ability after this. I wasn't sure if they were going to go for juice after Page/Moxley but holy shit did MJF ever hit a gusher towards the end. Kinda surprised there was no post-match segment.

For me this was a two match show, with the main event being an easy MOTYC.

• Like 3