DVDVR Message Board

2023 SPRING TRAINING

RIPPA

Unless i'm at the game and it's a hot day game, the length of the game doesn't really matter to me. Although if the team sucks, faster games is probably a plus. Most people tolerate that every College Football game will go 3 1/2 hours. Baseball, for whatever reason (possibly to unsuccessfully try to hold salaries in check), has a way of undercutting their current product.

I'm pretty confident that Bob Costas will still have plenty to complain about in the upcoming seasons.

The Padres Joe Musgrove fractured his left big toe after dropping a kettlebell on it

While no official time table has been given - manager Bob Melvin says he won't be able to throw for a minimum of two weeks

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Padres Joe Musgrove fractured his left big toe after dropping a kettlebell on it

While no official time table has been given - manager Bob Melvin says he won't be able to throw for a minimum of two weeks

I'll give that a 2.5 on the dumb baseball injury scale.(out of 10)

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Gavin Lux torched either his ankle or knee today running the bases

Don't watch the video

Per Dave Roberts - Lux tore his ACL and is out for the season

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Unless i'm at the game and it's a hot day game, the length of the game doesn't really matter to me. Although if the team sucks, faster games is probably a plus. Most people tolerate that every College Football game will go 3 1/2 hours. Baseball, for whatever reason (possibly to unsuccessfully try to hold salaries in check), has a way of undercutting their current product.

I'm pretty confident that Bob Costas will still have plenty to complain about in the upcoming seasons.

College football is a 15-game season. Baseball is over 200 with spring training and playoffs. And has a clock to ensure some action happens every so often. With baseball, so often the "action" is a taken pitch followed by 30 or more seconds of everyone involved actively trying to make sure the next pitch doesn't happen. 

I've been to several hundred minor league games over the last two decades. The games being so long wears on me after awhile. Going to a game last year with the pitch clock was a BIG difference. The game itself wasn't different. The play wasn't different. It just gets rid of the farting around. I don't see how anybody can have a gripe with that. 

• Like 2

Also, Trea Turner has been wearing special protective gloves ("oven mitts") so he doesn't mess up his hands on the bases -- like when he jammed his finger in the World Series last year. 

Spoiler

022623ovenmitts_1920x1080.jpg

Apparently the pitch clock is too fast for the bat boy to bring him the gloves, so he has to run with them in his pockets.  Also, he despises wearing them, but you know, his hands make him his money, so... 

• Haha 1

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35755087/no-umps-orioles-pirates-play-unneeded-bottom-9th

There was no umpire behind the plate calling balls and strikes, or even one of those so-called robo umps that could become part of the game in the future, when the Baltimore Orioles and Pittsburgh Pirates kept playing Tuesday.

Umpires left the field after Baltimore's Josh Lester grounded out to end the top of the ninth inning with the Orioles trailing 7-4, officially ending the spring training contest.

But the teams went ahead and played the bottom of the ninth inning after Pirates manager Derek Shelton and Baltimore skipper Brandon Hyde had a quick discussion.

The Orioles wanted to get some work on the mound for right-hander Ofreidy Gómez. Teams occasionally agree to shorten or lengthen spring training games depending on needs.

With the umpires gone, the balls and strikes were called by the catcher, just like is done in so many backyard games. Maverick Handley, a non-roster invitee who has never played about the Double-A level, was behind the plate for the Orioles.

The Royals have the most random of random dudes playing in the back half of games this Spring. Overall they don't really have any acclaimed prospects aside from a guy or two, so the later parts of the games are like "dudes who could start in Double A that can say that people don't believe in them" going up against the other teams equivalents of that.

The Royals are 4-1 so far. They've done this before in Arizona before not having good regular seasons.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

SD Jones would be proud:

That's such a horrible corruption of the timeless pastoral joy that is baseball. Slow down! WHY ARE YOU RUSHING??? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

i'm calling on one of the major wrestling promotions to institute a Moves Clock gimmick where the wrestlers have to do or receive a move every 20 seconds or else they lose a point and they get disqualified for violating the clock five times

If Jarrett was still running TNA no doubt this would happen. C'mon Jarrett do it on Dark!