DVDVR Message Board

2023 SPRING TRAINING

RIPPA

checks Baseball-Reference and finds that Kyle Schwarber has made 9 career starts at first base, all with Boston

so maybe not that.. the only notable first baseman who's a free agent is Miguel Sano (who I'd imagine isn't gonna be ready to play baseball in a week), but it really might be easier to pick up another outfielder who's not making an opening day roster and move somebody else to first base for the next few months

wonder if Bryce could play first base instead of DH in an emergency coming off of his elbow injury

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

wonder if Bryce could play first base instead of DH in an emergency coming off of his elbow injury

Bryce is starting on the 60 day so that ain’t happening

if Luke Voit was smart - he would opt out of his Brewers deal. He would be a cheap option until he eventually got hurt too

• Like 1

Yeah I had heard that Harper was starting the year on the IL but I didn’t know how long he’d be there.

Also since this is a baseball roster and you don’t have to make a move until you have to make a move, Harper’s not on the IL right now so when that comes, it opens a slot for someone to be on the 26 or 40 man roster

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Yeah I had heard that Harper was starting the year on the IL but I didn’t know how long he’d be there.

The optimistic reports are him returning basically around Memorial Day

More likely it will be early-mid June

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm gonna need them to find Charlie Hough.  Because I'm sure even at 75, he'll be able to knuckle one across the plate in these.

Today I learned that Hough was the last player born in the 40s to play in MLB

If anyone is curious

• Julio Franco last person from the 50s
  • Mariano Rivera last person from the 60s
  • Ichiro/Fernando Rodney where the last two from the 70s (they both retired after the 2019 season)

There are roughly 20 players left from the 80s and that number is going down quick (BR hasn't updated the list so it still includes recently retired people like Pujols, Molina, Sergio Romo and Jed Lowrie)

• Like 4

The 'fun' part about a team getting Harper back in June-ish is that they can sell that as being sorta like a mid-season acquisition if the team is in a spot where they need something after the first 2 months.

Meanwhile in KC, Zack Greinke starts opening day, which isn't too surprising and Brady Singer spending time at the WBC where he didn't pitch after the Mexico game probably put him offschedule to start an opening day.

I'd say a certain amount of the 2023 Royals is a test of how much of a positive change happens when you fire Mike Matheny and Cal Eldred and hire a new manager/pitching coach who have experience with Tampa Bay/Cleveland.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jordan Walker has broken camp with the Cards and Anthony Volpe has broken camp with the Yankees

I'm legit shocked that Cashman actually let him make the roster before May 15th.