DVDVR Message Board

2023 SPRING TRAINING

RIPPA

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I think that is a risk that MLB will allow teams to take, unless it becomes incredibly commonplace across the league. Its a much bigger risk/reward situation than just doing the infield as a hit down the other line would almost be an automatic triple (or HR, depending on the speed of the hitter).

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

countout length is reduced from 10 seconds to 5 seconds

Once in Steel City Wrestling, we had a crooked referee (Chris Wood) who did a fast countout. Mark Madden said, "What happened? My life just went into fast forward!"

On 3/3/2023 at 3:46 PM, Cobra Commander said:

i'm calling on one of the major wrestling promotions to institute a Moves Clock gimmick where the wrestlers have to do or receive a move every 20 seconds or else they lose a point and they get disqualified for violating the clock five times

they could just start enforcing the "five count to jump off the turnbuckle" rule again

Justin Turner took a pitch to the face during today's game

Apparently he required 16 stitches. His wife posted that Turner is home from the hospital and obviously has a lot of swelling in his face

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Holy shit, I didn't know the Gashouse Gorillas were in MLB now.

Who's the hitter? Greiner is 6'6" - hitter makes him look 7'2".

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

Who's the hitter? Greiner is 6'6" - hitter makes him look 7'2".

Jonathan Davis, who's listed at 5'8"

Speaking of the Tigers, always fun to listen to their Spring Training games with commercials for the all-American soft drink Faygo, knowing that Faygo is much more known for the Insane Clown Posse outside of Michigan.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Jonathan Davis, who's listed at 5'8"

Speaking of the Tigers, always fun to listen to their Spring Training games with commercials for the all-American soft drink Faygo, knowing that Faygo is much more known for the Insane Clown Posse outside of Michigan.

Faygo rules. EASILY the best soft drink company on the planet. 

Jesus... I haven't seen this mentioned much yet, but this has a potential to be a catastrophic bit of news:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/inq2/astroturf-vet-artificial-turf-pfas-forever-chemicals-glioblastoma-cancer-phillies-1980-20230307.html

It's paywalled, but the Philadelphia Inquirer has found dangerous "forever" chemicals were present in the years the Vet had astroturf in it.  Those chemicals are linked as agents for kidney & testicular cancer and a bunch of other really horrible things.  Phillies players had a rate of cancer three times higher than normal, six of whom (Tug McGraw, Darren Daulton, John Vukovich, John Oates, Ken Brett, and David West) all died of a very aggressive form of brain cancer. 

45 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jesus... I haven't seen this mentioned much yet, but this has a potential to be a catastrophic bit of news:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/inq2/astroturf-vet-artificial-turf-pfas-forever-chemicals-glioblastoma-cancer-phillies-1980-20230307.html

It's paywalled, but the Philadelphia Inquirer has found dangerous "forever" chemicals were present in the years the Vet had astroturf in it.  Those chemicals are linked as agents for kidney & testicular cancer and a bunch of other really horrible things.  Phillies players had a rate of cancer three times higher than normal, six of whom (Tug McGraw, Darren Daulton, John Vukovich, John Oates, Ken Brett, and David West) all died of a very aggressive form of brain cancer. 

And didn't John Kruk have testicular cancer?

I know I brought it up when the most recent person of that list had passed away and folks were pointing to the field.

I think that is what prompted the Inquirer to look into it (the last death, not my post)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Do the Eagles have a similar list(hopefully not)? They played on the same turf, right?

Yes (to playing on the same field) - but more likely no (to having the same issue) since there is a big difference in playing 8 games a year vs 81 games a year on the turf (and then times the number of seasons).

Like you are less likely to have issues with a building with asbestos if you only went there twice vs working there every single day for a decade

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yes (to playing on the same field) - but more likely no (to having the same issue) since there is a big difference in playing 8 games a year vs 81 games a year on the turf (and then times the number of seasons).

Like you are less likely to have issues with a building with asbestos if you only went there twice vs working there every single day for a decade

Fair enough, wasn't thinking about the number of games. . . .Did the Vet use a different type of turf, or did it happen everywhere and I havent seen the stories?

I should know this since I'm worried about most cancers and the causes for them, but the astroturf exposure is one that I don't understand. Is it just that similar to carpeting or other flooring that there is an off gassing effect, except instead of carpet doing that for a day, astroturf does it forever and so you're breathing in fumes from the materials used in the surface?

It is gonna be tough to say unless folks are able to get samples and test all the old turf surfaces

For what it is worth (and this isn't surprising) - the Phillies statement was "we have consulted several brain cancer experts and they so there is no link between the turf and their disease"  (With the counter being as I said - no one was really testing prior)

However - than you can counter counter by saying 6 out of however many Phillies played their over the time is way too small of a sample size and just a sad coincidence

I should also note that there has been debate for the last 15-20 years synthetic fields in general leading to higher risks in cancers (especially in children)

another variable might involve the clubhouses in the Vet compared to other clubhouses, which is information that might have gone away when they demolished that stadium

meanwhile in baseball, the Dominican Republic is pounding the Atlanta Braves 9-0