DVDVR Message Board

2023 SPRING TRAINING

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Fuck the purists, I like the new rules, even if I was against banning the shift.

The only one I dislike is the ghost runner. The rest are great. 

• Like 2

My "only" issue (and it isn't something that I really care about) is how they are doing it all at once in addition to saying they are cracking down on balks AND the use of sticky stuff

The umps are already bad. Throwing this all on them at once and walking away is peak Manfred (which btw - MLB has flat out admitted they know it will be a shit show. Their argument is it it will just get it all over with quicker)

• Thanks 1

The pitch clock in action:

And our first violation goes to.... (OMG what an upset!)   Manny Machado!

jfc, that's fast.  I'm definitely buying any beer before the game starts because I'm gonna miss half the damned game with those long ass Yankee/Citi lines. 

It's also gonna suck for a tired pitcher in the 8th who's going to lose a perfect game when a batter walks because it's a 3-2 count and the batter has fouled off like 10 pitches.

I am deeply amused that it literally took only till the first full day of ST games to have the "game ends with clock violation in the Bottom of the 9th with bases loaded" scenario

• Like 1

considering the self-flagellating that some baseball fans specialize in, i'm ready for the "thing we were wanting for years is actually bad" pivot from some

meanwhile, the MLB App hasn't borked their Radio feed features yet this season, so i'm ready to spend the next month listening to random local radio feeds to find out how many teams are sponsored by Louisiana Hot Sauce this year

Spring Training umpire crews aren't necessarily gonna be regular season crews, so i'm not expecting Bucknor and Angel Hernandez to be on the same crew but I just remembered how quickly they realized that Joe West and Angel Hernandez couldn't be allowed to work together.

Angel always had more of a reputation as an overt angry guy so when he's the voice of reason compared to CB Bucknor (whose reputation involves being a little more subtly petty)..

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Angel and CB being on the same crew would kill baseball far quicker than any rule change

"We decided to improve our umpiring by clustering our worst umps into their own crews. Sorta like the Simpsons episode where Skinner plots to trap the worst students when the Superintendent visits"

"But that's not a good comparison"

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Think of all the disasters waiting to happen.

Kudos to the guy who clipped that highlight in such a way as to show absolutely none of the play.

Yeah I need a longer version of that walk off violation because I don't have a clue what is going on here.   

OH I SEE.  They don't do extra innings in spring training.  I was trying to figure why that stopped the game.   Yeah they need to make it 20 - 25 seconds.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah I need a longer version of that walk off violation because I don't have a clue what is going on here.   

OH I SEE.  They don't do extra innings in spring training.  I was trying to figure why that stopped the game.   Yeah they need to make it 20 - 25 seconds.  

It's 17 with guys on base.

And again - the umps have been told to call things insanely strict in Spring Training

I think if this was say September - he is probably gonna get a second or two more

Also, anecdotally, I have seen more than one report where hitters have said they are going to push things in ST so they can figure out their timing