DVDVR Message Board

2023 SPRING TRAINING

RIPPA

If you are participating in the WBC you actually had to report to Spring Training yesterday (Feb 13)

Otherwise, pitchers and catchers start reporting for many teams tomorrow (Feb 15)

• Like 1

Was going to cancel MLB At Bat (formerly Game Day audio) because it overlaps with being able to listen to the games on SiriusXM streaming, but this may keep me for another year. $30 ain't bad for audio of major leagues and being able to watch AAA/AA games?

Included for 2023: Minor League Baseball

For 2023, we’re bringing you more live baseball than ever before, with access to Minor League Baseball (MiLB) included as part of your At Bat subscription. At Bat subscribers can watch more than 7,000 streamed games for affiliates of all 30 MLB Clubs, including all 60 Triple-A and Double-A Clubs

• Like 1

Hopefully, Nestor Cortes injury isn't too serious. If I were Brian Cashman, I'd be checking in on Trevor Bauer. It's not like the Yankees haven't had/have players of questionable moral fiber in Aroldis Chapman and Domingo German. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 2/14/2023 at 2:43 PM, SirFozzie said:

Was going to cancel MLB At Bat (formerly Game Day audio) because it overlaps with being able to listen to the games on SiriusXM streaming, but this may keep me for another year. $30 ain't bad for audio of major leagues and being able to watch AAA/AA games?

Included for 2023: Minor League Baseball

For 2023, we’re bringing you more live baseball than ever before, with access to Minor League Baseball (MiLB) included as part of your At Bat subscription. At Bat subscribers can watch more than 7,000 streamed games for affiliates of all 30 MLB Clubs, including all 60 Triple-A and Double-A Clubs

Interesting. I'll have to see if that works on my Roku TV

This seems like a big deal, the broadcaster with rights to 14 MLB teams may miss their payment and declare bankruptcy, which would allow MLB teams to terminate the contract. Current backup plan for the short term it seems is to allow fans to watch local games on mlb.tv, which is a major change in policy.  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35668388/rob-manfred-mlb-ready-diamond-sports-group-pay-teams

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Stephen Strasburg already suffered a setback 

I am at the point where I don’t think he is ever gonna pitch again

shit, been so long since I heard that name I thought he'd already decided he's never going to pitch again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

This seems like a big deal, the broadcaster with rights to 14 MLB teams may miss their payment and declare bankruptcy, which would allow MLB teams to terminate the contract. Current backup plan for the short term it seems is to allow fans to watch local games on mlb.tv, which is a major change in policy.  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35668388/rob-manfred-mlb-ready-diamond-sports-group-pay-teams

I'm sure that the planning has been going on for a little bit, but having a situation where half the league's local TV rights get terminated around 2 weeks before opening day is less than ideal

Not to mention a bunch of teams not getting paid for their rights, or not getting paid at the rate that they're used to once MLB takes it over. Which is gonna put some teams into more of a revenue crunch.

Half the league is gonna be off of local TV and a bunch of people who would just watch through the way they've watched for years maybe might get to watch through MLB.tv but who really knows. It's possible this could work out long term, or this could be the event that pushes MLS ahead of MLB for March-October sports in this country.

Speaking of baseball finances - one of the stories that made the rounds this week is the realization that the Padres, at the end of the season, will become one of the teams paying into the revenue sharing fund after years of receiving revenue sharing. (In fact - prior to 2012 when the new owners bought the team, the Padres were the largest revenue sharing recipient)

What really entertains me about this is every story you read involves a large portion talking about how most of the other owners hate what they are doing

Around baseball, the Padres’ spending has caused consternation among many team owners.

Seidler does not possess anywhere near the personal wealth held by Mets owner Steve Cohen, whose estimated net worth is by far the largest of the any MLB owner. Additionally, in contrast to New York’s ranking as the nation’s largest media market, San Diego ranks 27th. There are 20 MLB teams playing in larger population centers than greater San Diego.

“What the Padres are doing, I don’t 100 percent agree with,” Rockies owner Dick Monfort said recently.

He went on to contend the Padres’ roster has significant holes and intimated they will need to spend even more.

The overall tone of Monfort’s comments to the Denver Post last month seemed to essentially be “Why bother?” That is in contrast to Seidler’s “art of the possible” assessment the day after the Padres traded for Juan Soto last August.

A frequent question posed to Padres executives by others in the game goes something like this: “How the hell are you doing this?” Seidler is fond of touting that the “business of baseball is good.” He is optimistic about the direction of MLB as a whole and where his franchise is headed.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2023-02-12/padres-payroll-salaries-revenue-sharing-greupner-preller-seidler

• Thanks 1

Ryan Thompson of the Rays posted a giant Twitter thread detail the arbitration process he just went through

One of the biggest takeaways seems to be that, unsurprisingly, arbitrators don't seem to be very knowledgeable about baseball and teams know how to take advantage of that

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

We find out what the Red Sox clubhouse was concerned about on their way to last place

Yeah, next time pound some liquor in the locker room instead!