DVDVR Message Board

NJPW - Battle in the Valley 2/18/23

Web Conn

They got the full card up on the English Language website. I’m going to be in attendance I’ve been toying with starting a thread for the show but fuck it here we are this kinda means I gotta write a road report but cool let’s do this!

https://www.njpw1972.com/142769

Kickoff Show:

Coughlin_Kratos-1024x576.jpg

Finlay_Fish-1024x576.jpg

Main Show:

8_Man-1024x576.jpg

Rosser_Kenta-1024x576.jpg

MCMG_WCWC-1024x576.jpg

Kingston_White-1024x576.jpgHomicide_Lawlor-1024x576.jpg

ZSJ_Connors-1024x576.jpg

Kairi_Banks-1-1024x576.jpg

Okada_Tanahashi-1024x576.jpg

Edited by Web Conn
I posted on accident before I was finished.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Nice, I’ll be there as well. 

That’s cool. Do you live in the San Jose area? I only ask cuz I’m flying in from Washington State for the show. I’m pumped for this show it looks like a stacked card.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

That’s cool. Do you live in the San Jose area? I only ask cuz I’m flying in from Washington State for the show. I’m pumped for this show it looks like a stacked card.

I live by Oakland in the east bay. This has turned into a really unique card compared to a typical nj usa show. Fans are gonna be hot inside the building, but I’m disappointed with them going head to head with extreme rules, that’s going to get all the buzz that night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I live by Oakland in the east bay. This has turned into a really unique card compared to a typical nj usa show. Fans are gonna be hot inside the building, but I’m disappointed with them going head to head with extreme rules, that’s going to get all the buzz that night. 

*Elimination Chamber but I know what you mean. It’s like WWE put Roman vs Sami up against Mercedes vs Kari or something. That’s uncharacteristic of them so it must just be circumstantial.

Kingston was pulled from this past Saturdays Defy show for an undisclosed injury, I wonder if he’s gonna show up or not for the Jay White match. I don’t even know who you’d have sub for Kingston.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Great card. How did Tanahashi receive the title match vs. Okada ? 

Also, I plan on ordering the show and also watching Elimination Chamber so hopefully because this starts at 10pm ET I'll only be running about an hour behind.

At New beginning in Osaka this past weekend 

Spoiler

Okada beat shingo and after the match he was saying how he had a big rival and wanted to show the US the best of New Japan so he challenged Tanahashi for Battle in the Valley. 

@Web Conn Eddie Kingston responded to Jay Whites video promo sounding like it’s on. Dave says he’s supposed to be at dynamite Wednesday as well. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Enjoy, @Web Conn and @matt925. Most excited for Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, one of the best in ring rivalries ever and KAIRI vs. Mercedes Monet.

I’m really looking forward to the show, those two matches in particular. Plus what’s likely Jay Whites final new japan match. We got Jushin Ligers final US match as well, although it wasnt treated as much, being a tag match with Aaron solow in the second match on the card. Dave meltzer had a great line “everyone in the building understood the importance of that match, other than the new japan officials”. 

Super excited for Kairi vs Mercedes. Huge fan of both and I think it will have a big fight feel. 

• Like 1

I’m pumped to see Mercedes Vs Kairi I bought my tickets two days after Wrestle Kingdom I bought tickets based on that match. Okada Vs Tanahashi is an added bonus and I haven’t seen Kenta live since Wrestlemania 31.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, matt925 said:

I’m really looking forward to the show, those two matches in particular. Plus what’s likely Jay Whites final new japan match. We got Jushin Ligers final US match as well, although it wasnt treated as much, being a tag match with Aaron solow in the second match on the card. Dave meltzer had a great line “everyone in the building understood the importance of that match, other than the new japan officials”. 

Super excited for Kairi vs Mercedes. Huge fan of both and I think it will have a big fight feel. 

11 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I’m pumped to see Mercedes Vs Kairi I bought my tickets two days after Wrestle Kingdom I bought tickets based on that match. Okada Vs Tanahashi is an added bonus and I haven’t seen Kenta live since Wrestlemania 31.

Tags are fucked so quoting you both instead. If the merchandise is imported from Japan, go up a size. I purchased a NJPW Lion Mark zip up hoodie (2019) from the official site. I take a L but bought an XL. When it came, it looked so small and I thought I was in trouble. It fits more like a M. Tightest hoodie I have.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

White/Kingston is loser leaves NJPW now. Guessing Jays heading to WWE if he loses since even if he signed with AEW or Impact he’s likely still make NJPW appearances 

Edited by Sublime

On 2/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, Dolphman 3000 said:

Happy for Rosser getting the KENTA matchup

New Japan has been uploading all their Strong episodes to YouTube the last few weeks, and someone turned me onto Fred Rosser vs. Tom Lawlor from the 6/25/2022 episode. It's SO GOOD and I recommend it if you haven't seen either guy recently:

The Rosser-Lawlor rivalry is a trilogy at this point, and the previous two matches are also very strongly recommended.

I'd love to see Fred Rosser in the G1 this year, as well as Lawlor returning. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Evil Otto said:

This looks like an absolutely tremendous card, from top to bottom.  

Romero across from Volador as well. I haven’t watched the matches but I’ve heard about them and I bet the crowd will react to the matchup. It’s gonna be a fun crowd. 

On 2/13/2023 at 2:37 PM, Web Conn said:

*Elimination Chamber but I know what you mean. It’s like WWE put Roman vs Sami up against Mercedes vs Kari or something.

🙄

Because it's impossible that Bushiroad deliberately booked Mercedes' debut opposite a WWE event that's been advertised for a year. Nope. Bushiroad is apparently run by saints.

So as of 10 minutes ago, the FITE feed is a complete mess.  Totally unwatchable and no sound.  Luckily for them most of the fans aren't watching it because of the Elimination Chamber main event.  But if they don't get it fixed soon then it is going to be a real issue

Apparently they have it fixed.  And apparently CM Punk is at the show

Edited by hammerva

Spoiler

Kenta won.

Jay is completely done with NJPW. I dunno what Finlay is doing? Taking over BC?

Mercedes wore Hana inspired gear. Her ass looked good in that gear tbh. She won the IWGP Women' title, the title is more of a NJPW belt with ex WWE champions.

Okada won. He and Sasha closed the show with their 3rd Gen inspired belts.