DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/15/2023

The Natural

2 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I hope Tony Khan calls Dory Funk Jr or someone who actually knows the rules of Texas Death Matches before Jon Moxley vs. Hangman Page takes place. Texas Deathmatch ISN'T 'hardcore match and oh yeah they have until the count of 10 to stand up.' It's supposed to be a standard wrestling match with as many pinfalls/submissions that take place until the guy can't answer the ref's 10 count.

I mean, it's not like AEW actually has DQs anyways.

If we're talking "if this was a fight" strategy.. there is a logical reason for a non-ten count pin or two during this match for the sake of getting a brief break to do a 10 count. But a wrestler would have reason to not go for 'needless' pinfall attempts unless they think they can pin the other guy or pin him and get a 10 count.

Also... considering an hour of the show is MJF/Danielson... even with how long AEW PPVs can be, I'd think that they're not going much past 20-25 minutes with this Texas Death Match, especially since Moxley will be bleeding from the bell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I mean, it's not like AEW actually has DQs anyways.

If we're talking "if this was a fight" strategy.. there is a logical reason for a non-ten count pin or two during this match for the sake of getting a brief break to do a 10 count. But a wrestler would have reason to not go for 'needless' pinfall attempts unless they think they can pin the other guy or pin him and get a 10 count.

Also... considering an hour of the show is MJF/Danielson... even with how long AEW PPVs can be, I'd think that they're not going much past 20-25 minutes with this Texas Death Match, especially since Moxley will be bleeding from the bell.

Yeah, you're likely right. Moxley will get himself busted open, they'll brawl outside the ring, he'll do his lariat, Page will do his lariat, they'll hit each other with chairs, Moxley will probably go through a table, and Page will probably win.

If they wanted to do make similar to the Funks' Texas deathmatches....Page would spend 10 minutes doing a spinning toe hold on Moxley and there would be 50 million piledrivers.

• Like 1

<Hager voice> I LIKE this show.

Opener was a lot of fun, other than maybe burying Singh (who bumps like a guy 2/3 his size) a bit. Bowens gets to shine, we get a lot of comedy, the faces win and get to scissor.

Texas Tornado match was hella fun. Vance was the weak link but hit a .4 Ruby and didn’t look lost. Crowd brawl to start was kind of weak, mostly walking around. I think we’re maybe getting Claudio-Rush at the ROH PPV and that might get my money.

Briscoe-Woods was also enjoyable, Mark is fun and I’m a fan of Woods and wish he got to be more of a Steiner Brothers mashup. Also, I had been thinking recently that I wasn’t missing the Lucha Brothers so OF COURSE.

Best MJF promo I’ve seen, an actual excellent traditional heel promo and I, wondering who wrote the script for him. Chris Daniels comes out to do a 5 minute promo for the upcoming ROH programming. Also, that reminds me how awesome the bloody taped post-match Danielson promo was, take my money.

Perry-Cage was a match that happened and a post-match angle that happened. Funny to see them slowly phasing out “Jungle Boy”, but will the fans rebel if they get rid of Tarzana?

Sabian-Page was also a match that happened. Post-match was top notch work from Mox and solid work from Page, more take my money. Also, I can’t take Evil Uno seriously as a badass. I watch Dark/Elevation.

I guess Sabian and Swolverine serve a role as JTTS but I’m tired of them. I don’t have that AEW original loyalty, and in fact was shocked to find out that Kip Sabian was pushed early on.

Main was a perfectly fine 3-way in the way that there’s a lot of action, a lot of shenanigans, and a lot of awkwardness. I kind of expected Thunder Rosa. Saraya is cringe. Ruby deserves a belt, but with Jade squatting on the TNT title and Athena kicking ass with ROH, not sure what there is for her.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2

If JLowe liked a MJF promo, it might be tolerable to watch. Then again it's also MJF as the supposed World champion in a midcard segment (I thought World Champions were supposed to be at the main event/end of the show?).

I saw YT highlights from Jack Perry/Brian Cage....and oof at the crowd (half the arena looked darkened) and there was barely a reaction to anything.

Hard to believe that a little over two years ago, AEW had noticeably nearly full arenas. Gee I wonder why (maybe CM Punk is worth the trouble despite him being a professional disaster).

AEW let go of Cody as well and he was a top draw, which was stupid of AEW.

Tonight was an off-show. The crowd sounded dead or low energy for most of it. I don't get the point of that spray can spot, but I guess they wanted spray paint all over Britt's face? I was happy to see Ruby Soho get the win in the main event at least.

I still don't see the value in Ring of Honor right now and running ROH TV tapings, unless you are in dire need of getting guys under contract more in-ring time. 

The sitdown interview with Wardlow was awkward. Wardlow isn't a good talker, and he's not good when he talks for extended periods of time. Charisma isn't all about talking, and extended promos simply aren't Wardlow's strength.

Jose with the chair!  Yuta hits Jose!  CLaudio with the Spear! FOR TWO!  So Preston Vance and Jon Moxley need a best of seven series.  WHO KNEW!?  I assume RUSH/ Claudio is happening on the ROH PPV.  That is going to rule.  Who is the best in amongst Rush, MOX and Claudio?  Currently, I would go with RUSH.  Preston Vance was a surprising secret weapon in that match.  MARK BRISCOE!  JOSH WOODS!  LUCHA BROTHERS!  Mark bumps like a FREAK to get Josh Woods over.  Woods looks GREAT in picture in picture!  This match is GREAT!  Woods goes Full Steiner!  Briscoe with the Toprope Elbow for the win!  I could see Mark Briscoe becoming the super over babyface to carry the company to the next level.  MJF is a HEAT MACHINE!  More Ass Boys!  It's Jack Perry!  It's Brian Cage!  So I guess they are testing the waters for Samoa Joe versus Jack Perry?  Or maybe Powerhouse Hobbs or some other monster?  GREAT fucking Suplex by Cage in Picture in Picture.  Cage is slaughtering Perry and the crowd is behind Perry's struggle to survive the Kanyon-inspired offense of Brian Cage!  Perry makes the super babyface comeback to end up with a roll-up for the win.  Brian Cage looked great in that match.  Perry looked fine.  Not Darby Allin great, but we'll see where they are going.  And it's Christian!  Maybe we are settling this first?  Kip Sabian is so fun!  I love how he doesn't realize that Hangman is going to destroy him.  Sabian gets in wads of stuff!  Even more during picture in picture!  We come back and Hangman will now destroy Sabian.  And he does!  EVIL UNO! GOES STRAIGHT UP WITH MOX!  That was great.  I don't understand what is going on here but it is leading up to Hangman versus MOX so I'm going to ride this to the end.  TONI STORM!  RUBY SOHO!  BRITT BAKER!  Ah crap, it's a TRIPLE THREAT!  Nice Dangerous Backdrop as they drive home the story of the match-  which side is RUBY ON?!?  Toni Storm lays it the fuck in during picture in picture.  Man, Storm is just at a higher level.  I love evil Saraya painting Storm's buttocks to BRAND Baker with the WRECKED EM!  And Ruby steals the win!  And everybody yells at her!  That was good.  I assume this is morphing into Stardom stables, but not as elaborate.  Toni Storm is so fucking good.   AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tonight was a good show as usual. It wasn't spectacular, but it was good which is all one can ask for when watching. I missed most of the opening eight man but saw the ending with the Scissor spot. I guess it's officially the new WHAAAAATTTTTSSS UPPPPPPP headbutt. Props to Jeff for wrestling tonight.  This golden globe thing has to have a payoff at some point.

The texas tornado match was chaos. I think i'm getting tired of seeing Moxley bleed every week for no apparent reason. Preston on the other hand tapped a nice gusher. Claudio vs. RUSH should be a fun feud whenever ROH is back.

Mark Briscoe vs. Josh Woods was a fun match. I love the FroggyBow and everything about Mark with his redneck kung fu. It's sad it took Jay's death to give us Mark as a singles star, but I hope they know they got something with him.

MJF is such a jerk. It's beautiful. I liked the story he was telling and then bringing out Daniels to shit on Bryan only for Daniels to turn it around and throw it in his face was a nice touch. Bryan is on a hot streak right now so I'm looking forward to the Iron Man Match.

Jack Perry vs. Brian Cage was all right for a little man vs. big man match. Before it started I wondered about Christian and wouldn't you know he shows up after the match is over. I'm looking forward to Christian vs. Jungleboy so I'm glad it's finally on the map again.

Hangman vs. Kip was all right. The bigger story was after the match with Mox talking shit and it bringing out The Dark Order. I loved Evil Uno stepping up to Mox like he did and we should get a good match out of it next week.

The main event was all right. I don't get this story of outsiders vs. originals. Trying to have Ruby caught in the middle makes no real sense.

Overall a good show tonight. Not spectacular, but good.

• Like 3

The day after my dad died, I could barely bring myself to go out and interact with people in simple manners like grocery shopping. I can't imagine performing live in front of thousands of people while hundreds of thousands more watched on TV.

• Like 11

8 man was a fun opener. Texas Tornado ruled. I dug the Wardlow seg making the Joe feud more personal.  Mark Briscoe continues to shine, love it. Solid MJF/Daniels segment. Great to see Christian back. Womens triple threat main eventing was interesting/different, I thought for sure being in that spot meant something big was going to happen but then nothing really did.  Pretty good show overall. 

Looking forward to Rampage SLAM DUNK! with another Vertvixen sighting + the Top Fox/Elite rematch, and then two weeks of tag team battle royals on Dynamite should be fun

• Like 2

That Page/Sabian match was probably one of the worst matches given ten minutes or more you'll see in AEW.

The blind leading the blind to pointless spot after pointless spot, no selling, no structure. They didn't even look lost so much as just a belief that this was perfectly fine.

The crowd was rightfully apathetic until Mox showed up 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

The day after my dad died, I could barely bring myself to go out and interact with people in simple manners like grocery shopping. I can't imagine performing live in front of thousands of people while hundreds of thousands more watched on TV.

Same when I lost my Mum 9 years ago this June. Kudos to Jeff Jarrett.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Mark Briscoe vs. Josh Woods was a fun match. I love the FroggyBow and everything about Mark with his redneck kung fu. It's sad it took Jay's death to give us Mark as a singles star, but I hope they know they got something with him.

FpDsFJwXwAA9ytO?format=jpg&name=small

Couldn't have put it better. Mark Briscoe's a standout.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

I'm only through the first match due to some technical difficulties, but Jarrett was completely on last night. Some of it is that I was never an avid TNA watcher, that I never sought him out in AAA, or GFW, or whatever else, that I don't listen to his podcast, that when I do encounter him these days it's 1990 USWA, and I'm sure some of it is my frustration with certain parts of the current Elite-driven style. But he's very welcome on my screen right now. He stands out as contrast, is credible, works the crowd, is totally willing to be made a fool of. There are thirty people on the roster I'd like to see him work, from Evil Uno to Bryan Danielson to Dante Martin a Cassidy singles to Jon Moxley to one last battle with Dustin. It's another case like Danielson and RUSH where it feels like borrowed time too. I thought the match was put together well in general. Clever use of Sonjay. The unexpected FIP from Billy. Teases of Satnam. The endless cycling on the build to the payoff of Sonjay getting nailed at the end, etc.

The Gunns straddle that line between people wanting to see them get beaten and beaten up and people just wanting to change the channel because it's embarrassing to watch them. That is a line no matter what people say and I do think they could be more effective while still not being an iota more likable. Austin was best when he was channeling Brian Christopher at his most annoying. Colten should be more disinterested and aloof. Nepo Babies are in the zeitgeist. They've lucked into a certain amount of timing but they haven't cracked the code yet. Garcia, for instance, can channel youthful petulance in the ring way better than they can, and that seems to be as far as possible from who he actually is. In out of character interviews, they just don't always come off as the sharpest knives, maybe, though I'm sure they're getting all the best coaching and advice possible. 

• Like 10

I remember Alvarez saying Luchasaurus's shoulder was legit fucked up, so I assumed he was taking some time off after the cage match. It has been a few months though.

AEW has a problem where there's three months between PPVs but they don't get around to building any matches until two weeks out.

The AEW originals vs former WWE gals feud is pretty pointless without Sasha Banks. At least it led to Paige being a heel, Britt being a face, and Ruby winning some matches.

• Like 1

Just saw MJF's segment on YT (that had to be cut up into two separate videos) and goddamn am I ready for MJF to fuck off forever. They are building up this match as a 'test' for MJF but he'll be absolutely pedestrian in the match and will squeak by a win against Danielson. Unless Tony Khan is seeing that the experiment of having MJF as World champion has failed and gives the title to Danielson on 3/5.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Just saw MJF's segment on YT (that had to be cut up into two separate videos) and goddamn am I ready for MJF to fuck off forever. They are building up this match as a 'test' for MJF but he'll be absolutely pedestrian in the match and will squeak by a win against Danielson. Unless Tony Khan is seeing that the experiment of having MJF as World champion has failed and gives the title to Danielson on 3/5.

I'm of two minds on the MJF reign so far: has it been a slightly underwhelming start? Yes. But, do I think it was really important to go with a young, homegrown star on top after the last champ's public display of 'affection' to his co-workers and bosses? Also yes.

I don't have access to any internal numbers, obviously, and I can't speak to any particular thought processes outside of baseless speculation, but it might be a situation where TK weighed what they might lose in eyeballs and asses, and decided it was worth it to reinvigorate and/or reassure the locker room.

(As an aside, I feel there's a realistic possibility that Darby's brief TNT title reign and OC's AA title victory may have even served similar purposes)

I think the intended vibe was supposed to be something like when Rock won the WWF title at the Survivor Series Deadly Game tournament in '98, where it's obvious you've got this young, future champ on your hands, and you're gonna roll with it even though the guy is probably in reality still 6 months to a year away from solidifying themselves. 

Now let's see if Danielson can do his best Foley; if anyone can, it's him.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Lost my Mom in August on a Tuesday. I could not imagine traveling to another town, interacting with others and doing my job.  I think I was meeting with the funeral director the next day with my Dad but that week is a just a tangled hairball of memories.

• Like 1

With Mox now, he is getting to the point like a Dusty,Flair or Harley where they had a place that was able to be cut open with no problem. I keep seeing these pics of Harley from the late 70s, early 80s and his forehead over his left eye is perpetually discolored. Mox elevating Preston Vance would be great. RUSH is amazing and can seriously see putting the world title on him.  Every time he gets into the ring it is great work. 

Kudos for AEW for putting the belts on talent and teams they started. Accliamed, the Gunns, MJF etc. Takes both some confidence and risk taking. It would be easy to put the belts on someone else who has a higher brand value. Now can these new folks carry the ball? MJF - not sure yet frankly.  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

I remember Alvarez saying Luchasaurus's shoulder was legit fucked up, so I assumed he was taking some time off after the cage match. It has been a few months though.

During his short feud with Jungle Boy, he was doing power moves like the chokeslam with his other hand/arm.

41 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm of two minds on the MJF reign so far: has it been a slightly underwhelming start? Yes. But, do I think it was really important to go with a young, homegrown star on top after the last champ's public display of 'affection' to his co-workers and bosses? Also yes.

I don't have access to any internal numbers, obviously, and I can't speak to any particular thought processes outside of baseless speculation, but it might be a situation where TK weighed what they might lose in eyeballs and asses, and decided it was worth it to reinvigorate and/or reassure the locker room.

(As an aside, I feel there's a realistic possibility that Darby's brief TNT title reign and OC's AA title victory may have even served similar purposes)

I think the intended vibe was supposed to be something like when Rock won the WWF title at the Survivor Series Deadly Game tournament in '98, where it's obvious you've got this young, future champ on your hands, and you're gonna roll with it even though the guy is probably in reality still 6 months to a year away from solidifying themselves. 

Thing is, does MJF really have the love and respect of the locker room? He fucked over Wardlow big time and ruined his huge moment. He doesn’t really work with the other guys, saving himself for a special attraction.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The problem is the entire title reign for MJF has been underwhelming. It's lead to great matches....for Bryan Danielson. It's lead to cringe segments with MJF (last week's weird car accident segment, couple of weeks before his borderline racist remarks about Takeshita, this week's remarks off camera to get under the fans' skin with abortion).

It really proves to me that MJF needs a mouthpiece for him (like a Paul Heyman or a William Regal before he left) that can guide him along a bit and do the heavy lifting on talking for him.

Because MJF by himself....oof. He needs someone to tell him not to say what he's saying because it won't lead to heel heat, it'll lead to "X-Pac / Justin Credible / fuck this, I won't come back to AEW and I'll go to the bathroom / get a beer when he's on" heat.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1