DVDVR Message Board

THAT call

SirFozzie

THAT Call. Whaddaya think?   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Did the refs get this one right?

• Yeah. Good Call
    • I can see it. Not sure I would've called it there.
    • Are you effin kiddin me?

Anybody watching ESPN talk shows deserves all the "they shouldn't have called it" discussion that they're gonna get

The Bengals call inspired rando pundits to talk about changing the rules on late hits, so I'm sure that proposals are being worked out on holding penalties so that the defense can have a little bit of holding as a treat.

Once again, for me, it's the inconsistency. There was a significantly more blatant hold in the third quarter that didn't get called, for instance.

It's not a completely unjustifiable call, but they hadn't been calling it that tight all night, and the situation...

• Like 1

It was a ticky tack call that happened to have a visually huge impact due to the receiver ending up so far away from where the ball ended up landing. I'm actually not sure that the ball just wasn't plain overthrown but when you see the guy hold and the result is that... I see why they decided that they couldn't let it slide.

Referees (rightly) have the latitude to interpret what is and isn't Holding on the night, so if the one in the first half wasn't a penalty, then the one in the second wasn't a penalty and vice versa.

It sure as shit wasn't the time to throw the first Defensive Holding call of the game and I say that as someone who thinks that not calling penalties in finals when it would ordinarily be is the Coward's Path.

If I was going to bitch about refereeing, based on the game, I would start with the catch rules and continue with Delay of Game.

Edited by DangerMark

So it was a hold, it was just... the thing is if they had been calling that type of thing all game, I'd roll my eyes but think 'well at least they are consistent.' The referees waited 58 minutes of game time to call the first Hold and you can't convince me there wasn't a single hold up to that point. So if they are 'letting them play' unless they do something terrible, I'm ok with that, but I want the referees to call the same way for both teams from start to finish. I think that is the base of everyone's frustration, it had been such a penalty-free game for subjective calls (I want to say there were two such calls without looking it up, the PI and the Hands to the Face) that it felt out of place to wait until the last drive to make such a major call.

• Like 1

On the replays it looks like Bradberry interferes with Smith-Schuster twice.  It looks like he definitely grabs JuJu’s jersey when the play begins, as juJu crosses the line of scrimmage.  Then JuJu runs sideways to his left a few yards and Bradberry puts a hand on his back as Schuster-Smith starts to run downfield.  A lot of people are singling out the second contact and not replaying the first contact a second or two earlier.

Bradberry admitted he grabbed Smith-Schuster’s jersey.  He was hoping the refs wouldn’t call it.

Personally, I”m not in favor of letting them play.  If it’s a foul, you’re within your rights to call it.  Doesn’t matter what the score is, doesn’t matter how much time is left in the game, doesn’t matter if you didn’t call it a foul earlier.  I I hate to see games turn on minor fouls too, but it’s like arguing that I didn’t deserve a speeding ticket because I sped through the same area and passed the same cop yesterday too and he didn’t write me a ticket then.  And, honestly, if you”’re going to foul a guy in that instance, with the game on the line and almost no time on the clock, you need to be smarter than that.  I’m not very sympathetic to a dude that holds on a deciding play of the game but thinks the ref may not feel like calling it.  Why wouldn’t you call “ticky-tac” fouls on a play that important?  Deciding to swallow your whistle is another way of deciding the game.

Also, I played golf with Don Nehlen a few times after he retired and once asked him about a game WVU lost in the last minute on a debatable call.  His attitude was that teams have 59 mins to build a lead and, if you don’t want to lose a game on a bad call at the buzzer, you should probably do enough in those 59 min to make sure the call can’t hurt you.  That advice works for me.

That said, it certainly looks like Mahomes just overthrew the ball so I am not at all certain it was catchable to begin with.  Not certain it wasn’t catchable though.

Edited by Doc Townsend

At least in college/high school (and I think it's the same in the NFL), 'catchable' only matters if you're making it a PI call.  Otherwise, Holding/Illegal Contact is the right call to make. 

Replaying it, I see what the ref called.  At the time, my thought was it was a ticky tack and with everything that's on the line there...  me personally... I'd have kept my flag in my pocket.   

The counterargument to that though, and this is with the benefit of 12+ hours of hindsight...  KC threw to the guy who'd been fouled.  And I think that's the difference.  Had he gone anywhere else, it's probably a no call, mainly because it wasn't super egregious. Like has been said many times before, you could literally call Defensive Holding/Illegal Contact/Pass Interference on almost every play.  

God, I think I'm talking myself into 'good call, ref.'   But I'm not there yet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...