DVDVR Message Board

Does AEW need a new top babyface?

DEAN

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I was happier five minutes ago.

Jericho is a huge reason why most of the people listed in this thread as "next top babyface" are even being considered. He's a great heel and trying to make stars. He might be the best heel they have by that criteria.

FIGHT MEEEEE MAAAAATTTTT

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think you actually need to turn one of them heel (or Mox). Who's the #2 heel in AEW? Swerve? Joe? Jarrett?

If we're excluding Jericho (in part to having his stable in the mix), best stand alone heel and #2 would be Joe.

It's a shame we need to have this awkward conversation, because the hot babyface that could be driving business against MJF is headlining WrestleMania this year. They did one match with Cody and MJF surely intending to get back around to it later. MJF is guy who cost Cody the match where he put up that stipulation. Now would be the time to manufacture an issue where people beg babyface Cody to break his word and do what is necessary. Oh well, it'll make a great main event for WrestleMania 40. 

Adam Cole is your guy. People love a comeback story, absence makes the heart grow fonder, been a while since he's had an extended babyface run, media savvy, is already accepted as a top guy. Heat him up, don't let him fall into the bucket of other guys. Only issue would be health. He said in an interview with Dave recently he's going to need to build up to main event length matches or something to that effect. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They already have one, her name is Jamie Hayter. 

Jade would also be a good choice down the line, she pretty much is in my eyes already. Rarely does anything heelish, brings her cute daughter to ringside. She could be huge as a face.

While we're on the subject of going outside the norms... Takeshita. He's young, he's an amazing wrestler. Need a mouthpiece for a while but he could easily be the guy in a few years.

Edited by Leonidas
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Adam Cole is your guy. People love a comeback story, absence makes the heart grow fonder, been a while since he's had an extended babyface run, media savvy, is already accepted as a top guy. Heat him up, don't let him fall into the bucket of other guys. Only issue would be health. 

The other issue is he sucks and tbarrie hates him, which clearly means he can't be a commercial success. 

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:

Takeshita. He's young, he's an amazing wrestler. Need a mouthpiece for a while but he could easily be the guy in a few years.

Takeshita has lost so much that his recent matches have been the lowest-rated segments on TV

He couldn't even win a non-title match - casual fans think he's a loser

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Darby Allin could be that guy, but I think -- and this may be a spicy take -- he needs to get away from Sting and move up the card on his own.  

Sting is looking to call it a career soon so that may happen, I feel Darby COULD be the one to dethrone MJF but as other have said you worry about him holding up

6 hours ago, DEAN said:

Of course, I think Meltzer is thinking the WWE method, I could assume AEW could use the NWA method of just having a WILDLY over heel (Ric Flair) and a bunch of over faces chasing him (Dusty, Sting, Steamboat.)  Getting MJF as over as Flair would be a fun trick.

I said this a ways back MJF as Flair with say Starks, Jungle Boy, Darby as Steamboat, Dusty, Sting (maybe Lard Lad). The thing is they do need to new top YOUNG babyface. Guys like Kenny, MOX, Miro, Bryan are all pushing 40, right now best bet is Hangman

• Thanks 1

I saw Gordlow mention in his list but Anthony Bowens has that potential.

I still see Claudio and wonder how he wasn't a WWE world champion. He's not ever going to be your top mic guy but he has a lot of in-ring charisma to go with some goofiness that makes him relatable.

I like Darby or Eddie as the ones to take down MJF but I also agree that I don't think Darby would ultimately work as your classic top babyface unless you're feeding him monster heels all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BABYFACE FUN FRIEND DERP

I think Mox is the Ace and very much the MVP of the promotion when he was needed most. Very likely he will always be that figure of the protector of AEW. I will exclude him from this super baby face list. I will also exclude Jericho who is the original big name and Danielson who I don’t believe wants the role. Any of these people could be put as the face of the company and do a wacky cereal commercial, but this ramble derp is for new potential top stars. 

Also, I’m not going off of personal favorites. This is more throwing names on how I think it might work to sell toys.

Adam Cole - Merch mover and beloved by his fans. He is a sweetheart and a I am dearly in love with him while he plays video games. Likely could be a genuine kind believable babyface. My concern is that he plays the character of cocky arrogant slimeball so perfectly, can he muster that cool aura as a face? I’m not familiar enough with his work to know an example. His kindness points to him as a potential face. But on UUDD he is very ditzy and self-deprecating to the point of being the butt of the joke. I’m not sure that can be transitioned into top star, but maybe? If he can combine the confidence of his heel persona with his real life softness, you got a star. 

Hangman Adam Page - He was the focal point in what may be the best story arc of the company (so far). Great baby face that adds a relatable dimension of overcoming personal flaws and shortcomings. He could be an advocate for mental health and a positive role model. My concern is what is next for him to transcend him to the next level of super star? More Elite stories? Another title run? Like everyone else, it’ll be completely depended on booking.

The Elite - BTE was a big part of why this company exists. The Bullet Club merch was insane. They have super fans. Elite is in the name of the company. My concern is they prefer being kinda heels. They’re odd tweeners at times, which I like but maybe might not be good examples for what I’m rambling about. 

Brit Baker - So much charisma. Already a big part of the company and it’s history. She’s been in great matches and as a heel has won the respect and admiration of the fans. My concern is she’s a better heel. Even getting cheers, her being mean to rebel and mocking the fans might be the best way to go. 

Eddie Kingston - He’s your Mic Foley. When he defies the odds and becomes Champion we will all cry and celebrate. My concern is that never happens. Be it booking reasons cutting off his momentum or just the opportunities not being there. Hopefully he is the one to beat MJF. 

Darby Allin - All the children will paint their face like his. He could be the It guy. Sting giving him the super rub and pass the torch could be what leads him. Very daring and tackles all comings head first (literally). My concern is he’ll be booked to always be beatable because of his style. Which may not be a bad thing, maybe fearless vulnerability adds to the aura. A few of you want him to beat MJF. Personally, I want him to overcome a monster.

Swerve Strickland - He has the cool factor and a lot of connections. He could legitimately be in movies and music videos with Rick Ross and other cool artists. It just makes sense after his heel run to eventually turn him face. He seems like a nice person in interviews. My concern is I really haven’t seen enough of his work and I’m speaking out of my ass here. He just comes across like a star. 

Ricky Starks - Hot dang he has charisma. Very unorthodox with his delivery and stature but I feel that’s what makes him special. Like a lot of the people I mentioned, very handsome. He looks like money. Could be a great face or heel. My concern is he is in the Jericho vortex. Once he wins that feud, hopefully he can capitalize on some big moments.

Jade Cargill - SHE JUST LOOKS LIKE A STAR. Everything about her presentation is just so money. My concern is the experience level. She’s not ready now. But if she keeps improving, the world is her oyster.

Wardlow - I don’t think he’s ruined. With the right booking and the right wrestler, anyone can bounce back from loss of momentum. The trick is after his biggest feud, he should derp against the Sterling Studs. Powerbomb Symphony is cool and the fans get into it. If done right, him fighting Joe will be good and get him back on to. If he can manage good competitive matches while still looking strong, neat. My concern is that after powerbombing fools does he have enough to maintain interest from the core fan base? I assume so but I’m an optimist. 

Fennix - He had a singles run before his first injury that was very impressive! He wowed a lot of people. I assume he can do that again if booked in a position to be a singles star. My concern is his manager. Also, I do  the will be given the opportunity and will stay either a trio or a tag. 

Pentagon - The perfect wrestler. No concerns.

Jungle Boy - Super cute. Son of an actor. My concern is he’s nowhere near ready and an awkward promo. I don’t see it anytime soon. But he is very young and very good looking. 

Hook - read Jungle Boy but replace actor with Taz.

Luther - read Jungle Boy and Hook but replace actor and Taz with Satan.

Will Hobbs - He’s the right answer. My concern is we don’t deserve nice things.

CM Punk - Whaaaaat? Probably not but if it is true that the Young Bucks will leave, why not keep the biggest draw they’ve ever had? My concern is everyone fights each other and he gets hurt after winning the title again. Not worth it despite how much I loved his run here.

I’m tired of typing. The end.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Im reminded of that recent interview Sami Zayn did where he said he could be Champion but would never be the face of the company. OC might be a bit old and a bit to comedic if the idea is to have a face analog to MJF. Kinda the same with Eddie Kingston, sure you can build him up to the foley title win but he's not going to be the face of the company 

• Like 1

My list: (in no particular order)

Immediately ready:
Orange Cassidy
Claudio
Konosuke Takeshita
Hook

Need a story line fix/correction:
Eddie Kingston
Powerhouse Hobbs
Samoa Joe
The Butcher & The Blade
Penta
Hangman

Darkhorses:
MJF (they were on the cusp of it happening)
Matt Menard
Nick Comoroto

On Deck:
Dante Martin
Action Andretti
Jungle Boy

On 2/9/2023 at 10:13 PM, Craig H said:

Weird no one is talking about Orange Cassidy.

I kinda think he's at the right level now, but no doubt he can work, and an angle where he "doesn't care" his way to the world title then finally breaks down with emotion would be some awesome tv.

On 2/12/2023 at 4:39 AM, Dolphman 3000 said:

Funny that no one mentions Yuta

Down the line, having him finally get a victory over Moxley would be a great springboard for a face push

Wheeler being MIA in this conversation just shows how ridiculously stacked the AEW roster is. He's got all the tools for sure, and he's young, so there's not a lot of urgency to make him the next top face.

• Like 6