DVDVR Message Board

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA - 2/17/2023

I saw it.  I loved it.

It had everything I was looking for from an Ant-Man movie and some deeper emotional stuff too. I'd say I enjoyed this more than Love & Thunder and BP2 but not quite as much as Strange 2 but only because of the Illuminati part.

I thought Kang was a great villian and I'm looking forward to the other versions being expanded. I really liked his dialogue during the plot-type scenes and then in the climactic battle he was great mowing down NPCs before he got to the Ant-family.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I saw it.  I loved it.

It had everything I was looking for from an Ant-Man movie and some deeper emotional stuff too. I'd say I enjoyed this more than Love & Thunder and BP2 but not quite as much as Strange 2 but only because of the Illuminati part.

I told a friend that hasn’t seen it yet that I liked it more than Wakanda Forever but less than Dr. Strange 2, but it turns out wasn’t helpful because he has those two flipped.

It felt like it needed one more draft to tighten up some things maybe, like the freedom fighters' characterization, giving Hope more of a driving story other than not trusting her mom for ten minutes, and nailing the humor on MODOK just a little bit more. Overall though, it was still fun.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:02 PM, Matt D said:

It felt like it needed one more draft to tighten up some things maybe, like the freedom fighters' characterization, giving Hope more of a driving story other than not trusting her mom for ten minutes, and nailing the humor on MODOK just a little bit more. Overall though, it was still fun.

I agree with all this.  I was excited to see Chidi at first, then bummed because I would have liked to see him in a bigger role.  

MODOK should have been played 100% serious or completely absurd.  It felt like they didn’t fully embrace the absurdity, so some of the stuff at the end felt just a little off.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I agree with all this.  I was excited to see Chidi at first, then bummed because I would have liked to see him in a bigger role.  

MODOK should have been played 100% serious or completely absurd.  It felt like they didn’t fully embrace the absurdity, so some of the stuff at the end felt just a little off.

Agreed on both points.  

MODOK just felt like the MCU's standard "you nerds actually like this stuff?" character for this movie.  His death at the end didn't register to me as funny as much as mean spirited.  Like, why give him a redemption arc if you're just going to shit on him at the end?   

The rest was... fine, I guess

Took the 10 year old last weekend and I liked it more on a second watch. The Jan/Kang stuff hits well. Kang is such an amazing villain because he's so full of shit, down to when he's giving the big speech at the end to his minions which is basically all about his own bullshit and totally unnecessary. Loveness and Majors absolutely get it. Best thing in the movie is Bill Murray speaking out the MODOK acronym; talk about something that would have been wild to imagine twenty years ago. 

• Like 2

Finally caught this earlier tonight with my brother and father. We all enjoyed it. I really liked the Ant Family dynamic, and Majors was wonderful as Kang. Really dug how he has played each version so far. Loved how dangerous he was. I enjoyed the MODOK stuff though it felt like his redemption arc was a bit rushed. Pretty fun and solid movie overall. Not sure its better than BP2, but it is more fun.

Was nice seeing the Kang plot put into the forefront. This did well tying back into what we learned in the Loki tv series while also not making that show necessary to understand what is going on per say. Curious to see what other Phase 5 movies tie in though admittedly I'm mostly excited for when we finally get F4.

I think I'm buying more and more into the fan theory that Scott and Hope were not brought back to their world or they're stuck in some kind of Kang simulation. There's just way too much shit at the end of the movie for it to all be a coincidence. If it all was just a coincidence, from people doing double takes at Scott on the street and giving him concerned looks, to all of the purple and green, to extras appearing on a loop, to Scott's inner monologue, then it's the biggest coincidence of all time.

The simulation theory would have some weight if not for the mid credits scene which disproves it completely. To be fair the ending does kind of push those weird theories slightly with Scott's inner monologue, but that was more about questioning if he made the wrong decision in the end as the what if? weight of Kang's claims finally started to hit him all at once.