DVDVR Message Board

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA - 2/17/2023

OHHH OHHH... QUANTUMANIA! ... FIGHTING TO SURVIVE!...  JUST LIKE THAT!... JUST LIKE THAT! 

Less than 10 days away, the red carpet premiere happened yesterday, and reviews are coming out. 

As always, please use Spoiler Tags (that cute eyeball in the toolbar) until the movie's released.

I have tickets for Saturday. 

I'm going up to JMU to treat my daughter to lunch and a movie, which will probably turn into dinner and a shopping spree at WalMart and Target because college kids always need stuff and my kid barely asks for anything.

I thought I was going to have to treat my daughter's posse to movie and pizza, but my child has decided to be selfish with my time.  I am flattered.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Scarlet Centurion is a lot of letters to use in a tweet. 

Here's the longer blurb: 

After an eleventh-hour topic change*  in honor of the upcoming Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania movie, we look at the convoluted continuity of Kang the Conqueror, which sort of starts before his first appearance. Or does it? Let's discuss Kang, Rama Tut, the Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, Doctor Doom, Nathaniel Richards, Ravonna, the Council of Cross Time Kangs, the TIme Variance Authority, Mobius M. Mobius and ... Merlin the Magician? Is this one character biography or four? Or is it five? Let's try and figure this one out without once using the word multiverse.

* - the last minute change was realizing the wedding of Hank and Jan is even too hot in 2023 for me to discuss on a pod. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Scarlet Centurion is a lot of letters to use in a tweet. 

Here's the longer blurb: 

After an eleventh-hour topic change*  in honor of the upcoming Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania movie, we look at the convoluted continuity of Kang the Conqueror, which sort of starts before his first appearance. Or does it? Let's discuss Kang, Rama Tut, the Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, Doctor Doom, Nathaniel Richards, Ravonna, the Council of Cross Time Kangs, the TIme Variance Authority, Mobius M. Mobius and ... Merlin the Magician? Is this one character biography or four? Or is it five? Let's try and figure this one out without once using the word multiverse.

* - the last minute change was realizing the wedding of Hank and Jan is even too hot in 2023 for me to discuss on a pod. 

Kang was wibbly wobbly timey wimey before there was even such a term..  

I think we can rule out Nathaniel Richards as one of MCU Kang's incarnations since Kang is a black man and the odds of Feige race flipping MCU Reed Richards are slim thanks to John K's cameo in Multiverse of Madness.

Edited by J.T.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Kang was wibbly wobbly timey wimey before there was even such a term..  

I think we can rule out Nathaniel Richards as one of MCU Kang's incarnations since Kang is a black man and the odds of Feige race flipping MCU Reed Richards are slim thanks to John K's cameo in Multiverse of Madness.

He is a descendant separated by hundreds of years. I don't think they need a race swap to explain Kang being a black man vs. Reed being white.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

He is a descendant separated by hundreds of years. I don't think they need a race swap to explain Kang being a black man vs. Reed being white.

My sarcastic barb thrown at anti-diversity neckbeards was thrown in vain.  Everyone takes me far too seriously.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have my tickets for Saturday. Pretty pumped to see it. The Ant-Man movies have been some of my favorites in the MCU and I love the connection Scott has with Cassie. It's definitely something I've thought about before - if I had the chance to go back in time to relive those days where my older daughter was so much younger and when there was less drama would I take it...The answer is always no because then I'm deprived of seeing everything she's doing now in middle school and then I'd also miss out on raising my youngest daughter now.

So Scott, coming off the heels of using time travel to undo what Thanos did, would reasonably want to use time travel again to get his time back he missed with Cassie. But doing so would seem to unleash a horrible version of Kang on the universe.

If I were to guess, they either defeat Kang because he's not as powerful as some of his other versions and he either dies or remains trapped in the Quantum realm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

64% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes right now compared to 83% fresh for Ant-Man (2015) with Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) 87% fresh. That score still baffles me.

Dude. There's only 1 or 2 reviews for it even out.

I'll also never understand the fascination with referring to tomato scores.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, it's down to 58% on 95 reviews.  Metacritic has it at 50.  

It's honestly a who cares moment because Marvel movies are all but review-proof at this point.  But it seems the consensus is that Kang is great, the rest is... yikes. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's honestly a who cares moment because Marvel movies are all but review-proof at this point.   

Planning to go this weekend with the wife and some friends.  A couple of us were talking last night that maybe we should go to something else since Quantumania is getting bad reviews.  The consensus was “nah, this is fine”.  All we really want out of it is some special expensive-looking fx and elaborate stunts.

Superhero movies rarely work for me when I watch the, at home, but they are well-suited for the crowded movie theater experience.

9 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Planning to go this weekend with the wife and some friends.  A couple of us were talking last night that maybe we should go to something else since Quantumania is getting bad reviews.  The consensus was “nah, this is fine”.  All we really want out of it is some special expensive-looking fx and elaborate stunts.

Superhero movies rarely work for me when I watch the, at home, but they are well-suited for the crowded movie theater experience.

Judging by the last few Marvel movies, you may be disappointed there.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:40 PM, Craig H said:

I do for fun and to see a consensus while making your own opinion away from.

Find it interesting this is the only the second rotten MCU films when the likes of The Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World, Ant-Man and the Wasp avoided that fate.

I feel like I could almost guarantee that if reviewers went back to review the MCU movies today, they'd all get worse reviews than they initially received. For what it's worth, I still really like most of the MCU movies. I'll rewatch them from time to time when I'm watching my youngest or I'll have them on in the background while doing housework. I just see it more as reviewers course correcting their reviews for a movie series that largely follows the same formula from movie to movie and the stakes are too high. It's the DBZ effect. Once you go the route of Endgame, it's hard to not make everything a world or universe saving event. I'm not endorsing that approach, I think there's a time to save the world or universe and all that, I'm just saying that's what's happening.

And that's why Civil Rules so hard because Zemo has no super powers, he was just smart enough to play on everyone's vulnerabilities and insecurities to turn the heroes against each other. 

But anyway, most of the word of mouth I've seen is that it's largely the same when it comes to the characters. Everyone is charming, Scott is his usual funny self, Janet is great, Kang is awesome, the CGI is iffy, the story feels too big for an Ant-Man movie, but if you liked the previous Ant-Man movies then you'll like this.

I really like Ant-Man movies. I'm sure I'll like this. I'm only looking for Paul Rudd to just be Paul Rudd, I'm looking for Hank to be grumpy, I'm looking for father-daughter stuff between Scott and Cassie, and I'm looking for the story and villain to not suck. I'm just here to be entertained. It isn't hard.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I guess the one good thing about this movie is they aren't killing off the villain. Unless of course each movie is a different version of Kang, which would be clever and a way to wink at the MCU formula. 

You just put a bullseye on MODOK.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I guess the one good thing about this movie is they aren't killing off the villain. Unless of course each movie is a different version of Kang, which would be clever and a way to wink at the MCU formula. 

They'd have to alternate, since MCU has a sub .500 record on killing villans.

I love the vast difference in opinion on Rotten Tomatoes when it comes to audiences (84%) vs critics (48%). I don’t care what some dude who reviews movies for the New Yorker thinks about a comic book movie.

• Like 2