DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/8/2023

The Natural

6 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Last week, DEAN's poll was a near-impossible choice between Joe vs Darby, Mox vs Hanger, and Bryan vs Thatcher. This week we need to try and choose between Dragon vs Roosh and Takeshita vs MJF! I am in favour of Dynamite just WRECKING the poll every week.

RUSH/ DANIELSON WAS MOST AWESOME.  That was Hansen vs Tenryu-level shit.

• Like 7

Love that title switch. Actual heels and actual swerves and actual crowd shock reactions that make sense in the broader story being told, with good work beforehand. This was necessary to keep The Acclaimed's act from getting stale and I'm glad they were proactive about it.

A lot to like on this show. My mortal eyes did not deserve Danielson/Rush but they will gladly accept what they have seen.

• Like 10

Rush vs Danielson was fucking good.

Hope The Bunny is okay. That T Bone timing was off and Hater landed full force on her face. Honestly surprised they let Hayter pick her up and hit that Lariat. At least she took care of her on it and hopefully didn't make the possible concussion any worse.

Gunns getting the tag belts is fine if it's a short bump in the road. Whether they drop them back to The Acclaimed at the ppv, or to FTR right after it's fine. But they don't have as much heat as they're booked to have.

• Like 5

The Gunns need a mouthpiece to complete the act IMO, even if physical charisma-wise Austin Gunn is Brian Christopher 2.0.

I know he's with Sanjay, Lethal and Satnam but I loved the fantasy booking a few weeks ago of Dubba J as Col. Robert Parker being the man for the job here. Keep Satnam around as Meng. Tough for Lethal to stick as a heel after the Briscoe match anyway. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 3

I got home right in time for Danielson breaking down the door. Killer stuff. Bryan slowly crumbling on the floor after the dropkick on the outside was awesome, and then he comes up with the blood running... which ended up ON THE CAMERAS. Rush's no-selling can be an irritant but here he came off like the miniboss that always frustrated you. Vega or Sagat, or if you wanna go Mega Man pick any damn boss. 

Didn't pay much attention to the flippy-doos or the main but the crowd reaction to that finish was greaaaaaat. Total disappointment and hostility. Tony has balls the size of Gibraltar to book that. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

With the way they're setting up pieces for the future, would anyone be too surprised if the Gunns eventually dropped to Top Flight? 

STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT!

• Like 2

I think the Gunns win tonight was surprising because this was run a little faster than the average AEW storyline?

The Blade might be up there for guys who outkicked their coverage in regards to marital bliss. Congrats to him. But, i'm not sure how high The Bunny could really go if she's tied onscreen to the Butcher/Blade team.

• Like 1

I agree with Billy not turning on The Acclaimed being the bigger swerve considering how much people were predicting it would happen. The Ass Boys cheated to win after a good bunch of chicanery and it was the perfect way for a heel team to steal the belts. The Acclaimed are hot enough that they'll stay over even after losing, and people will get behind their path to regain the belts and hopefully get more heat on the Gunns every time they weasel out of defending them or cheat to retain them. Unless they drop the belts back in the next few weeks, which would be kind of on brand for AEW.

When Starks rolled through 2.0 I thought for sure he was going to win but nope, he's still carrying that boulder that is Chris Jericho up the hill every week.

Did MJF confess to vehicular manslaughter? At least I think he suggested he wrecked while drunk and getting road head, then covered up what really happened. The match with Takeshita was one of the best matches I think he's had. I'd put that up as an example of anyone who thinks he can't wrestle.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

With the way they're setting up pieces for the future, would anyone be too surprised if the Gunns eventually dropped to Top Flight? 

That might salvage things some, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t Jarrett-Lethal. Or maybe they’ll remember Gunns are in The Firm and have Jungle Hook take the belts, so I can go ahead and cancel my cable.

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thinking how Daniel Bryan retired on this date 7 years ago, lucky to get him back as Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson and he's still the best wrestler in the world. The GOAT.

Since Bryan was cleared to wrestle again:

Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles, WWE TLC 2018. *****.

Daniel Bryan vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton vs. Jeff Hardy. WWE Elimination Chamber 2019.

Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston. WWE WrestleMania XXXV.

Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles. WWE Smackdown, 12th June 2020. *****.

Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns. WWE Smackdown Live, 30th April 2021.

Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October 2021.

Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 11th January 2023.

Bryan Danielson vs. Bandido. AEW Dynamite, 18th January 2023.

Bryan Danielson vs. Timothy Thatcher. AEW Dynamite, 1st February 2023.

Bryan Danielson vs. Rush. AEW Dynamite, 8th February 2023.

---

Incredible additions to an already HOF record from 1999-2015.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If they can't get FTR back from their stint in the Aaron Rodgers Darkness Room... sure?

Also, it's sorta amusing that AEW has a bunch of managers and none of the heel champs are being managed by any of the 100 managers in this promotion. Like the Gunns had to get away from Stoke to actually win something.

• Like 1

I think Bryan Danielson vs. Rush is my new AEW Match of the Year. I'd have it second only to Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 I gave *****. Looking forward to watch Danielson vs. Rush back.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was talking to my buddy all day about how I wanted The Elite to lose the Trios belts so I could get Omega back in singles (I like Bucks matches, but really don't care about them one way or the other). However after watching that,I actually think is the perfect spot for the Elite right now.  Top Flight/Fox came out of that match looking like made men(in my opinion) and while everyone chastises the Bucks booking, you can't say that people don't come out of feuding/matches with them coming out better.  I'll probably end up beating a dead horse, and I'm a huge fan of Jericho, but jesus christ, Top Flight/AR compared to Starks is apples to oranges.  Top Flight/Fox look amazing and like they almost beat the Elite and Starks comes out looking like a fucking goon and stifling his progress.  Compare Starks now to after THAT promo/match against MJF.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JLowe said:

That might salvage things some, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t Jarrett-Lethal. Or maybe they’ll remember Gunns are in The Firm and have Jungle Hook take the belts, so I can go ahead and cancel my cable.

You're safe from that, Jungle Boy said in his interview segment last week that he's staying solo.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I agree with Billy not turning on The Acclaimed being the bigger swerve considering how much people were predicting it would happen. The Ass Boys cheated to win after a good bunch of chicanery and it was the perfect way for a heel team to steal the belts. The Acclaimed are hot enough that they'll stay over even after losing, and people will get behind their path to regain the belts and hopefully get more heat on the Gunns every time they weasel out of defending them or cheat to retain them. Unless they drop the belts back in the next few weeks, which would be kind of on brand for AEW.

When Starks rolled through 2.0 I thought for sure he was going to win but nope, he's still carrying that boulder that is Chris Jericho up the hill every week.

Did MJF confess to vehicular manslaughter? At least I think he suggested he wrecked while drunk and getting road head, then covered up what really happened. The match with Takeshita was one of the best matches I think he's had. I'd put that up as an example of anyone who thinks he can't wrestle.

Nope, hit a lightpole, and then framed his girlfriend for it.  Crime, but not a felony, statute of limitations expired on it too, he's in the clear.

• Like 1