DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/8/2023

The Natural

Impressive how 'tour tight' MJF keeps his game working so little. That said, I've never entirely bought him as a master of breaking down the arm. And a guy who wins matches with a fujiwara armbar. I'm always overcoming this, but I do. Pretty terrific opener with the truly wonderful Konsuke Takeshita. Hayter and the Bunny followed nicely, and was strong while they were well and able. Hayter continues to be such a refreshing champion for this division. I really like this Saraya and Toni duo, but they need to tighten up there shit with these segments. Leva Bates' acting abilities might be better suited for BTE. Unsettling promo from MJF. Not surprised to see the negative reaction. Ha, I just saw that Starks-Cody-Royal Rumble security photo. The photo makes me curious how long Ricky's AEW deal is? Gauntlet felt McMahon booked with Menard and Parker going down fast. I wish that portion had been more clever and fun. Garcia-Starks and the Sammy tease was tremendous. Pretty great crowd throughout. I loved the finish here. Some strong anti-Jericho sentiment in the thread. I'm not with you. This to me is a fun low to midcard feud. It's a good test for the charismatic Starks. Thus far, Rick's been good, but it also suggests he's still a ways from his true potential. I had no doubt a Rush-Danielson match wouldn't be special, but it still exceeded my expectations. Pleasantly surprised by the angle that preceded. I wish the entire audience had seen that nasty promo Roosh cut on the Road To. Tonight might've been Roosh's coming out party. Danielson's blood on the camera was a great added visual. Top Flight/AR Fox v Bucks/Kenny was fucking firing on all 6 cylinders. I very much would like to see Fox go one on one with Kenny. I liked the Main Event. Great Castor rhymes this week. I love the Gunns, but much less so the decision to change the titles. The extended filler time after the bell certainly didn't help matters. All that said, maybe the audience that grows for the Acclaimed have been lured in further? I have no complaints. I love this show, and I love it pretty much every week. Very thankful for this tasty flavour of pro wrestling. 

• Like 8

MJF vs. Takeshita was an awesome opener. Also, the match was completely uninterrupted from start to finish. No commercial breaks to hurt the flow of the match, and the crowd was really into it and all in for Takeshita by the end. Takeshita is really good at the genuine babyface role.

I'm glad the Gunns won the titles. They got the whole Ass Boys thing over and they are solid heels. This will be a chance to see what they can really do. Also, you need good heel teams for the babyface teams to chase for the belts.

That whole MJF car accident promo kind of got awkward really fast. It was almost starting to veer into Katie Vick territory. Even if the statute of limitations expired, why would he want to admit to that? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Did they ever have an on-screen explanation for why the Gunns are no longer aligned with The Firm? 

Why doesn't the BCC have Bryan's back anymore?

Because TK's terrible at booking factions without Jericho in them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That whole MJF car accident promo kind of got awkward really fast

I didn't even realize it at the time but someone else on the internet pointed out "hey, didn't this promotion just have one of their* champions die in a car accident 3 weeks ago?"

(*- pretend for the purposes of conversation that ROH champions can be referred to as "their")

it's no "World Class announcers equating the storyline blinding of Chris Adams with the real death of Gino Hernandez" thing but the MJF thing would get ripped up if it was done by a less popular promotion.

Also, it being MJF, there's probably an MLW promo about it from 4 years ago that only 15 people watched.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I completely ignore MJF for weeks and....then he does a promo proving why he will never make it in the WWE? If he can't get to the point or not have it total indie cringe, he shouldn't talk on the mic. I've seen the promo and I'm just wondering why the hell he's given TV time or given a live mic at this point. Notice how his promo hasn't shown up on AEW YT.

When Eddie Kingston is calling him out and wondering in public why MJF is the World Champion, there's problems. Tony Khan needs to take control and tell MJF that he will run his promos by him before they make it to air otherwise they are cutting off the mic. Would MJF have done the promo we saw on Wednesday if he were in the WWE and Vince McMahon was overseeing the show? I doubt it.

I saw highlights of the match for Takeshita vs MJF and Takeshita looks more like a World Champion than MJF does. MJF looks positively tiny compared to him. But Great Value Miz is the World champion while on WWE Roman Reigns is having an absolutely compelling feud with Sami Zayn.

• Haha 2

I'll comment more a bit later on, but the MJF backstage promo /story/confessional was distubing, but also bullshit! This guy did NOT score in high school (the MJF character, no idea about the actual person). I do believe he would have switched places with one of the less wealthy members of lacrosse team if they would have crashed the car like that. The Rush match was added a lot of bells and whistles on top of the sheer brutality to make it a story worth telling. I think it worked splendidly. Also, Rush being 5-0 pretty much made him a contender before this match (the commentary said as much).

So yeah, the opener was wonderful and it let MJF actually show something in-ring for a change.

Bunny had a nice showing but it got a bit messy in the end there, but Hayter then just put the end to that nonsense right away.

Trios title was crazy, it was nice that Kenny put AR away with a counter wrestling move rather than 3 finishers like they did with Cassidy.

The main event was the "shocking" tag title change I expected, but at least Billy was trying to do the right thing.

It was cool to see the banged up Takeshita still take the bullet for Danielson and keep Jose and Vance busy so Bryan could, erm, RUSH to the ring.

The gauntlet wasn't much, but Jericho found a smart way to avoid having a match with Starks and gave Garcia a big win in the process.

Also, about the made-up MJF promo, I don't think he would have said anything unless the statue of limitations hadn't already expired, and unless the imaginary chick he supposedly scored with actually ended up surviving the crash.

Edited by Shartnado
More comments
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

If the Gunns don't lose the titles back to the Acclaimed, then the only satisfying and cathartic way for them to drop them would be to the Kings of the Black Throne where they just maul the fuck out of the Gunns Demolition style.

When you say Demolition-style, do you mean the way Colossal Connection evicerated Demolition for the belts on Superstars?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Foif0NOXwAAI-TY?format=jpg&name=large

I...

Ooh, maybe a Nassau County policeman costs him the title because he's the knucklehead who made their job that much more difficult for a few days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Meltzer:

MJF vs. Konouske Takeshita: ****1/4.

Bryan Danielson vs. RUSH: ****3/4.

The Elite (c) vs AR Fox/Top Flight: ****1/2.

Natural:

MJF vs. Konouske Takeshita: ****1/2.

Bryan Danielson vs. RUSH: ****3/4.

The Elite (c) vs AR Fox/Top Flight: ****.

• Like 3

No arguments to speak of - I'm not a star guy (my personality is such that I want to rate most matches I watch as 'Everyone tried really hard, hopefully had fun, and made good money') but just for fun/boredom's sake, if I had to rate these three, I think I'm with you Natural on Friedman/Takeshita, and I'm with Dave on the six-man.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Shartnado said:

When you say Demolition-style, do you mean the way Colossal Connection evicerated Demolition for the belts on Superstars?

Which never would have happened if Tully had just shared his nose candy with Vince 

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Which never would have happened if Tully had just shared his nose candy with Vince 

"It's miiiinnnneee! All MIIIIINNNNEEE!" *snooooooooooooorrrrt* "Ok, now I'm ready to put over The Bushwhackers in a non-title match for the third time this week... fired? The hell you mean fired?!?"

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Ooh, maybe a Nassau County policeman costs him the title because he's the knucklehead who made their job that much more difficult for a few days.

Apparently, that post was a fake or highly exaggerated. Never heard of The 434 before.

https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1623786592950263820

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 9:59 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Back in my day, all you needed to impress a woman was a '95 Plymouth Acclaim and a decent array of Hardyz merch

Back in my day, all you needed to impress a woman was an '82 Mustang 4 cylinder, a mullet, and an "I broke Wahoo's leg" shirt.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just rewatched the Rush-Danielson match with my full attention (and muting during PiP so I can focus on the tiny screen a little better) and I liked it a lot more, except the unprotected headbutt by Rush. Right after Bryan bladed Rush grabbed him in a hold with a camera closeup and you could see the gash pulled apart some, gnarly. The throw from the apron to the floor leading into the long PiP segment worked really well, as it allowed for a lot of Rush heel stooging and Danielson recovering to kill time. Only mistake was having the Bulls Horns fakeout during PiP. Bryan's tope by the corner was nuts. And we didn't get a cord choke spot, which is worth an extra 1/4* for me.

The Hayter-Bunny match was also quite good, very stiff. I think the trouble started with the faceslam on the apron, and then Bunny's foot slid on the throw which led to her not being able to complete a good rotation and Hayter falling right on top of her face. And yet Bunny still sold the shit out of the lariat finisher, even though Hayter definitely held back on the impact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I wonder if Bunny v HHHH when home early after the weird landing on suplex. BUNNY = RATINGS but I don't like seeing her do quick jobs.

Say what you will about MJF at least he's going whole hog on being a scumbag heel. No cool heel business here

May be an image of 1 person, standing and indoor

Gonna guess that’s some overpriced trendy mezcal?

• Like 1