DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/8/2023

The Natural

Looking forward to Bryan Danielson vs. Rush the most but for Danielson's last opponent to beat in order to get MJF for the AEW World Championship at AEW Revolution 2023 feels anticlimactic. Also looking forward to MJF vs. Konosuke Takeshita and Jamie Hayter vs. The Bunny.

Don't really care for Ricky Starks running the JAS gauntlet and I've got a feeling the Acclaimed drop the AEW World Tag Team Titles to the Gunns by a Billy Gunn heel turn. Didn't Billy turn on the Acclaimed previously or am I misremembering?

If we squint we can say that Danielson vs RUSH is a match between my favorite two wrestlers of 2014.

For Starks, my thought was that he should have done the gauntlet over 6 weeks leading up to Revolution before ever having a match against Chris Jericho. Ah well.

I'm very much looking forward to MJF putting Takeshita in an abdominal stretch and hanging on to the top rope.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Didn't Billy turn on the Acclaimed previously or am I misremembering?

Yeah, I can't remember all the specifics, but it definitely happened. I think his kids turned on him again not long after to join The Firm, and Max and Anthony were there to help Billy back up or something like that.

It was all memory-holed pretty quickly because Billy is so over with the Acclaimed. I would think the catchphrase "scissor me daddy ass" is too much of a money-maker to break them up, but I guess we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dang! Almost everything that has been announced so far for this week's Dynamite feels like a showcase for that unique way AEW has of mixing ridiculous horseshit with truly excellent professional wrestling. And doing so in a variety of ways. 

Kenny and the Bucks are the all time masters and innovators  when it comes to mixing ridiculous  horseshit with truly excellent professional wrestling! And AEW stands for All ELITE Wrestling. So maybe THAT is the house style. Top Flight & AR Fox are IDEAL dance partners who can match Kenny, Matt, and Nick's creativity and athleticism. This match should be NUTS.

Jamie Hayter is the hardest-hitting wrestler in AEW. Maybe third or fourth in the world (the competition being: MiSu, Ishii, WALTER in my opinion) The Bunny is GREAT but she's often primarily shtick in the ring. Will Hayter drag out Bunny's violent side? (We know it's there. She probably will)  BUT: It's an Eliminator Match. We cannot completely dismiss the possibility that Bunny will steal a horseshit win so we can get a second (much more violent) match between the two! It's possible!

The Acclaimed (C) vs The Gunns for the AEW World Tag Team Championship is LIKELY to lean more toward the horseshit side of things, for storytelling reasons, and the storytelling has been good enough that the outcome is actually in doubt! Plus, these guys can go, they keep improving, and they have developed great chemistry. 

MJF brings the old school heel horseshit and Konosuke Takeshita brings the athletic, hard-hitting wrestling to their AEW World Championship Eliminator Match. I hope either Soup or Bun Bun wins their Eliminator! I wouldn't mind a repeat of either match.

The Garcia-Guevara Gauntlet is ABSOLUTELY gonna be showcase-level horseshit/wrestling mixture! With the first stage mostly the former and the second stage mostly (entirely?) the latter, I am assuming. 

Rush and Bryan Danielson bring the professional wrestling. TRENCH and Boudreaux bring the horseshit! 

It's gonna be TOO MUCH FUN!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Considering the storyline coming in is that Billy was a bad Dad because he is a personal life fuckup, my guess is that the Gunn Club win the titles when Billy's attempt to interfere (on the Acclaimed's behalf) backfires.

• Like 1

The big Vince to Regal advice is to cut off something hot before people get sick of it so you can always go back to it, but Acclaimed is such a merch seller and the scissor me thing is big and the belts are a big part of the act and there are a lot of big matches still yet to be paid off. I can't imagine they derail the train now, especially not for the Gunns unless it's some sort of personal favor to Billy. 

• Like 4

On 2/6/2023 at 7:28 AM, The Natural said:

Looking forward to Bryan Danielson vs. Rush the most but for Danielson's last opponent to beat in order to get MJF for the AEW World Championship at AEW Revolution 2023 feels anticlimactic. Also looking forward to MJF vs. Konosuke Takeshita and Jamie Hayter vs. The Bunny.

Don't really care for Ricky Starks running the JAS gauntlet and I've got a feeling the Acclaimed drop the AEW World Tag Team Titles to the Gunns by a Billy Gunn heel turn. Didn't Billy turn on the Acclaimed previously or am I misremembering?

The Gunns (all three) turned on the Acclaimed, Then The Ass Boys turned on Daddy Ass with Daddy Ass's other two sons making the save. (to me this felt like a course correction with the booking rather than the original plan)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Things I remember from this episode of Dynamite

There wasn't much space from the ramp to the non-ringside seats in El Paso. Also nice barn roof in the place.

MJF and Takeshita had a pretty fun match.

I don't remember anything from Hayter/Bunny except that Hayter won.

I think tonight was the first time I saw Leva Bates in 3 years.

Ricky Starks will never escape his feud with Chris Jericho.

MJF had one of those 1960s teen tragedy songs, only with kayfabe fraud.

Danielson and Rush had a hell of a time with blood. If they didn't do the "count him out for not showing up" thing, could have teased a screwjob stoppage due to blood

Top Flight and the Elite had a hell of a match too.

The Gunns are the champs and ringside fans are reacting like Lesnar beat the Undertaker.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, StuntmanCrowley said:

I loved this show....except for the ending of the Gauntlet.

Jericho needs to take a good 6-12months off.

Very few come out well with a Chris Jericho feud in AEW, Eddie Kingston the biggest example of the latter. Jericho feuds go way too long.

Don't have time for a full write-up, but:

I LOVE that Dragon and Takeshita are friends.

Last week, DEAN's poll was a near-impossible choice between Joe vs Darby, Mox vs Hanger, and Bryan vs Thatcher. This week we need to try and choose between Dragon vs Roosh and Takeshita vs MJF! I am in favour of Dynamite just WRECKING the poll every week. 

In my opinion: MJF as a wrestler > MJF as a promo guy > MJF on commentary. YMMV, obviously.

There is TOO MUCH great wrestling, and I am LOVING IT!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am sorting out my post hospital/current layabout sleeping schedule.  Let us use the greatness of professional wrestling to take us on a JOURNEY OF FAUNTASY!!!  Tony needs to hit the swear jar early!  A LOT!  MJF!  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA! I'm just going to sit back and watch this. Soooo MJF is Takeshita's best opponent.  This match is FUCKING GREAT.  I would like to see them wrestle a best of 57.  Konosuke bleeds like a KING!  MJF channeling Tully Blanchard to create that match is genius.  I assume that will headline the Tokyo Dome at some point.  YAAAY!  WRESTLING!  JAMIE MOTHERFUCKING HAYTER!!  THE BUNNY!  Hayter is so fucking awesome, as she brings up Bunny's game to make her look like she should be there.  MAAAN, the section on the apron makes me yearn for tomorrow's International Feed!  Bunny matching Hayter's stiffness is glorious to behold.  Whoop!  Something went horribly wrong.  YIKES!  It's the gauntlet match!  Daddy Magic and Coolhand Ainge put in a Dark Elevation level appearance and the you are reminded that Daniel Garcia will beat folks' asses.  International Feed will be on fire tomorrow.  GREAT GUILLOTINE SEQUENCE!  Oh man, this REALLY makes me want to see Starks/ Garcia in a singles match.  CHRIS JERICHO!  HAD A PLAN!  That was best Ricky Starks has looked so far.  AmDrag MASTERS the obstacle course!  RUSH DRINKS HIS BLOOD!  It's a .5 on the Ruby Scale!  This match is fucking AWESOME.  Is this the most awesome match?  Yes.  Yes.  It is the most awesome match.  THE MOST AWESOME MATCH!  RUSH and BRYAN DANIELSON ARE FUCKING AWESOME.  That was fucking MOST AWESOME.  Oh yeah, I forgot about the Top Flight/ Young Bucks match.  AR Fox and Kenny Omega are awesome in this.  Fox is a 1998 EMLL midcard technico and is thus spectacular and grounded.  Matt Jackson IS Scott Norton!  THERE IS A LOT GOING ON IN THIS MATCH! AR Fox is the BEST!  That was GREAT.  Not the MOST AWESOME.  But it was great.  So we need a Kenny Omega/ AR Fox singles match.  The Acclaimed and the Ass Boys have a Wild Eyed Southern Boys versus the Midnight Express 1986 Southern tag match.  Caster is our face in peril in picture in picture!  Austin Gunn is your HEAT MACHINE~!  REF BUMP OF THE YEAR!  GUNNS WIN! GUNNS WIN! GUNNS WIN!  I see that Jeff Jarrett came up with that finish.  AEW really REALLY really RULES THE FUCKING WORLD!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

MJF-Takeshita was great, MJF really made him look like a main eventer. Too bad everything else MJF does is bush league troll shit.

Of course, it seems like Hayter-Bunny ended way early because of the botch and so they probably decided to just let MJF talk even more than normal.

Too much of the gauntlet was in PiP, and the ending was pretty lame.

I feel like I just read about an angle where someone was locked in a room and was counted out, maybe in the Nitro recaps? I also seem to recall AEW did this last year, maybe with Wardlow? Match was just a bloody slugfest, I guess they decided to just go with attrition at this point because the first couple of matches were so great and from then on it's just been about hurting Danielson as much as possible.

Due to work, I wasn't able to pay as much attention to the Trios match as I would have liked but wow what I did see was quite the impressive show by Top Flight and AR Fox especially. I was biting on a couple of those nearfalls.

For a minute during the main, I thought they might be working an angle where The Acclaimed are so busy playing to the crowd and Caster being Caster that it was going to cost them against The Gunns who seemed very focused and serious. Might have liked that better. I think this was a dumb title switch and I think they'll quickly regret it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Very few come out well with a Chris Jericho feud in AEW, Eddie Kingston the biggest example of the latter. Jericho feuds go way too long.

Jericho feuds are booked like there's a groundhog that tells them to keep the feud going for 6 more weeks

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Great show, but not having Billy turn on The Acclaimed was an odd choice

There is such a thing as not doing something because people keep fantasy booking it.

The reaction without a turn seemed sufficiently shocked enough because the Acclaimed is way more loved than the Gunns are hated.

After tonight, Orange Cassidy is pretty much the highest ranking babyface champ in AEW? depending on what side of the bed the Elite rolled off of before the show.

The other champs are MJF, Samoa Joe, The Gunns, Hayter, and I forget if Jade is supposed to be a babyface or not. But with Joe and the Gunns winning in the last two weeks, it's been a rough month for babyface champs in this promotion.

• Like 5