DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 2/6 - 2/12/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I honestly can’t disagree more with the idea that Bron is “main roster ready,” and I feel like the Vengeance Day main event just perfectly captured that. In his first time main eventing a big show outside the NXT Zone, he did not feel big time at all. That whole match felt like what you might get if you picked a good bar band and booked them to play the main stage at Lollapalooza. They did their act fine, but they didn’t rise to meet the size of the moment.

On top of that, dude can’t promo or act to save his life, and he only has notable matches when he’s being led around by a great veteran. And he’s not even really that big, so a lot of what he does isn’t going to fly among all the big meaty men on the main roster. I really don’t think “another guy who does a spear” is going to get over.

He’s definitely going to be called up within 6 months, but I think it’s fairly likely that he gets exposed as not ready in a hurry. Like, not Hit Row-level not ready, but closer to Kross-level “I guess this is fine but why are we doing this?”-level not ready.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Is anything on the last TakeOver worth checking out? I don't watch NXT but I usually watch the TakeOvers. The one in December really seemed like a waste of time. 

Lee/Dijak was good and the tag titles match was chaotic fun, but if you didn't like Deadline I'm not sure you would like vengeance Day. I thought the Iron Survivor matches from the former along with Pretty Deadly vs. New Day made for a far better show. 

6 hours ago, EVA said:

I honestly can’t disagree more with the idea that Bron is “main roster ready,” and I feel like the Vengeance Day main event just perfectly captured that. In his first time main eventing a big show outside the NXT Zone, he did not feel big time at all. That whole match felt like what you might get if you picked a good bar band and booked them to play the main stage at Lollapalooza. They did their act fine, but they didn’t rise to meet the size of the moment.

On top of that, dude can’t promo or act to save his life, and he only has notable matches when he’s being led around by a great veteran. And he’s not even really that big, so a lot of what he does isn’t going to fly among all the big meaty men on the main roster. I really don’t think “another guy who does a spear” is going to get over.

He’s definitely going to be called up within 6 months, but I think it’s fairly likely that he gets exposed as not ready in a hurry. Like, not Hit Row-level not ready, but closer to Kross-level “I guess this is fine but why are we doing this?”-level not ready.

I think Bron is far better off than Hit Row and Kross. Hit Row were pushed the main roster a good year or two before they were ready. Kross just doesn't have much charisma or general star appeal along with being a bit flat in the ring. Bron has more charisma than Kross and is a lot damn better in the ring than Hit Row and Kross. The issue is people thinking he is strap a rocket to hs back good and ready which is ridiculous. Bron will take time and decent building if they want him to reach far. He is mostly just at a point where there is nothing left for him in NXT. His next step of growth feels like it can only happen on the main roster or outside of WWE. 

I think Bron is simply someone who can't be the more experienced wrestler in a match and have it be really good, which if we are honest isn't that unusual for a wrestler only in their second year active. This is where the lack of a bunch of veterans on current NXT is an issue as I think he's pretty much learned about what he is going to from wrestling other young wrestlers, you can put him on the main roster and protect him while giving him reps with several experienced hands which will give everyone a better chance to evaluate exactly how he is progressing and what his potential truly is.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, username said:

I think Bron is simply someone who can't be the more experienced wrestler in a match and have it be really good, which if we are honest isn't that unusual for a wrestler only in their second year active. This is where the lack of a bunch of veterans on current NXT is an issue as I think he's pretty much learned about what he is going to from wrestling other young wrestlers, you can put him on the main roster and protect him while giving him reps with several experienced hands which will give everyone a better chance to evaluate exactly how he is progressing and what his potential truly is.

More Ziggler! Followed by Miz! and an interminable series of victories over Gable!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, username said:

I think Bron is simply someone who can't be the more experienced wrestler in a match and have it be really good, which if we are honest isn't that unusual for a wrestler only in their second year active. 

Alright, so you want his first main roster feud to be with Dolph "Hey kid you don't belong up here" Ziggler.   Got it.  😉 

• Sad 1

On 2/8/2023 at 2:02 PM, The Comedian said:

I feel like a lot of people are preparing for a fan turn on Cody that's not gonna happen, or at least not for a while. Certainly not before Mania. Keep in mind Cody's actually got a closer storyline to Bryan than Sami does. "Evil WWE Creative tried to bury me but I persevered and now I'm gonna take the gold to prove them wrong once and for all." That will carry him through this. And WWE won't let him do the kind of dumb "Codyverse" shit he got away with in AEW.

This isn't like giving the fans a choice between Bryan or Batista, it's like giving them a choice between Bryan or Punk. Either way they're gonna cheer. It's a win/win...

Respectfully, the bolded part doesn't feel true for me. Bryan's arc involved a shockingly quick loss at Mania, a MITB cash-in after a grueling match, and a whole lot of verbal abuse, and way better in-ring performances than his position on the card warranted.

Cody already enters the game on second or third, gamely does some family-based stories, seems to enjoy Stardust at the time, and hits a lower, but still respectable, ceiling. The properties of the respective ebbs to their arcs are very different, to the point where "I'm gonna take the gold and prove them wrong" on the part of Cody feels transparently like his function is to roll out a red carpet for more compelling AEW hires. It also doesn't help Cody that he comes off as Homelander. Sami can be a lot, but IMO he communicates a lot more fundamental human decency and authenticity than Cody.

• Like 1

Sheamus and Drew McIntyre take on Hit Row!  Ashante the Adonis bumps all over the ring for Drew! Then for Sheamus! Then Sheamus beats on Top Dollah! Then he goes back to beating on Adonis.  Yakuza Kick by Sheamus for the win!  Hit Row's push looks a little suspect and appears to have hit a sort of roadblock.  It's Lacey Evans!  It's Little Mean Kathleen!  Evans lays it in!  COBRA CLUTCH!  It's Ricochet and Brawn Strohman!  They are up against JIMMY!  And suddenly JEY!  Ricochet gets in a lot of offense and Brawn Strohman and he hit some really great double teams before Ricochet settles into taking an ass beating from the Usos.  Strowman is lumbering freight train of a house afire!  Several SUPERKICKZ PAAARTAY! Ricochet tags in and it all kinda comes to a halt.  On the Shoulders Swanton FOR TWO!  Jey ducks Strowman into the POUNCE AREA!  FUN finish as Jey secretly tags Jimmy and Ricochet hits a Shooting Star Press on Jimmy as Jey hits the Splash on Ricochet for the win!  That was good.  Allright!  Chelsea Green and Sonya Deville are tagging together.  AWESOME!  They get to get beaten to death by Raquel Rodriguez!  And there is Liv Morgan!  Is she still crazy?   Morgan and Deville are good in the ring together.  Deville and Green are trying to avoid the VADERIZATION of tagging in Raquel.  Raquel tags in and VADERIZES Deville and then REALLY CRUSHES Green!  That was fine.  OH CRAP!  A FOUR WAY!  It's Scarlett!  I wish she would wrestle more.  She is a secret good wrestler.  It's Madcap Moss!  I had forgotten about him.  It's Santos Escobar!  It's all the guys we've all kinda hadn't thought about much lately.  It's Rey Mysterio!  We've been concentrating on his HEAT MACHINE son a lot more lately.  I guess Karrion Kross vs GUNTHER would be the best match out of this since just did Rey vs GUNTHER.  Moss runs a lot between turnbuckles.  Escobar and Rey is pretty cool.  Moss makes these cameo appearance of running across the ring.  This is kinda awkward and clunky as a match.  Madcap Moss gets the win!  I don't think he will beat GUNTHER!  That was perfectly okay pro wrestling.

• Like 3

Man, I loved loved loved Usos versus Brian and Ricochet. Jey coming down from the stands and reconciling with Jimmy was another great moment in this masterpiece. I loved there was no dissension in the tag match itself — that felt so true to the characters. On top of the great character work, the whole match was so good. Braun and Ricochet are a great team and I hope they get to run together more. Jimmy and Jey pulling out the win because they are the GOATs was the way to win it. And I think they really are both kayfabe and out of kayfabe in WWE history. They are incapable of having anything less than a **** match. Now they also get to flex their acting chops with it and it’s a whole other thing. I did not finish Dax’s podcast this week but he said they would be the match he wants now and damn do we need a hot FTR vs. Usos feud. 

All of the Bloodline stuff just continues to be the best. It is an absolute joy to watch all of this. Same saying he acknowledges Jey while talking (without talking) about Jey’s awesome saga with Roman was a pretty incredible segment. I also love Heyman being a total duplicitous scumbag, too. 

This is untouchable. I am going to hate the ending just because I do not want this to end.

• Like 2

All the Bloodline/Sami stuff was solid-good segment wise.

Sheamus/Drew vs. Hit Row was fun.

Strowman/Ricochet vs. the Usos was good stuff. Was interesting seeing it play out more face vs. face with nothing super heelish coming from the Usos, just smart tag work from both teams. Braun and Ricochet are so much better as team than they really should be so I hope this isn't the end of them teaming up. 

Lacey's squash was fine.  Digging her current heel character though I wonder where it really can go right now. 

Raquel/Liv vs. Sonya/Chelsea was pretty fun. Sonya and Chelsea work well together character wise and had some fun spots.

The 4-way had some fun moments but was weak compared to the usual WWE mutli-man match. Moss winning as a choice. Wish Escobar won so we could have gotten a fun LDF/Imperum feud. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DEAN said:

Hit Row's push looks a little suspect and appears to have hit a sort of roadblock.

One thing I will say for Triple H is that he knows when to move on from one of his pet projects.  I still don’t think Hit Row, Kross, Lumis, etc. needed brought back, but creative moved on from them pretty quickly when they realized it wasn’t working.  None of those guys are getting big pushes or eating up large chunks of tv time.

I do wish they were doing more with Escobar and LdF.  They just seem to be… there, without much in the way of feuds or direction.  Really hate the, being paired with Zelena. She’s not adding much to the act.

Lacey Evans needs to take over the women’s division. She was already solid to start with but this nasty boot camp trainee gimmick is great. She is laying things in nasty on local talent. I want to see her and Bianca or her and Becky lay into each other for 10 minutes.

• Like 3