DVDVR Message Board

POLL 1/28-2/3/2023- WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? Let's hear it!

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Kenny Omega/ Nick Jackson/ Matt Jackson vs Ethan Page/ Matt Hardy/ Isiah Kassidy- RAMPAGE
    • Shane Swerve Strickland vs Brian Pillman Jr- RAMPAGE
    • Saraya/ Toni Storm vs Robyn Renegade/ Charlette Renegade- RAMPAGE
    • RUSH vs Christopher Daniels- RAMPAGE
    • Braun Strowman/ Ricochet vs Ludwig Kaiser/ Giovanni Vinci- SMACKDOWN
    • Charlotte Flair vs Sonya Deville- SMACKDOWN
    • Viking Raiders vs Brawling Brutes- SMACKDOWN
    • Natalya vs Zelina Vega vs Shayna Baszler vs Shotzi- SMACKDOWN
    • Ace Austin/ Chris Bey vs KUSHIDA/ Kevin Knight- IMPACT!
    • Savanna Evans vs Giselle Shaw- IMPACT!
    • Frankie Kazarian/ Josh Alexander/ Rich Swann/ Yuya Uemura vs Callihan/ Angels/ Deaner/ Kon- IMPACT!
    • Midnight Heat vs Reno Scum- CWFH
    • El Hijo de Canis Lupus/ Hell Boy vs Los Reyes Del Oceano (El Hijo del Fishman/ Hijo del Pirata Morgan)- IWRG
    • Davey Richards vs Kevin Martensen-CWFH
    • Billie Starkz vs Red Velvet- AEW Elevation
    • Dr. Karonte I/ Dr. Karonte II/ Inquisidor vs Astral/ Cachorro/ Sangre Imperial- CMLL
    • Los Infernales (Euforia/ Hechicero/ Mephisto) vs OneAtos (Esfinge/ Fugaz/ Star Black)- CMLL
    • Skye Blue/ Yuka Sakazaki vs Athena/ Diamante- AEW Elevation
    • Ari Daivari/ Tony Neese vs Darius Martin/ Dante Martin- AEW Elevation
    • Blake Christian vs Claudio Castagnoli- AEW Elevation
    • Cody Rhodes vs Finn Balor- RAW
    • Angel de Oro/ Dark Panther/ Guerrero Maya Jr/ Panterita del Ring Jr vs El Hijo del Villano III/ Misterioso Jr/ Oraculo/ Rey Bucanero- CMLL
    • Asterboy/ Puma de Oro/ Tonalli vs Dick Angelo 3G/ Legendario/ Rey Halcon- IWRG
    • IYO SKY vs Candice LeRae- RAW
    • Seth Rollins vs Chad Gable- RAW
    • Julius Creed/ Brutus Creed vs Veer Mahan/ Sanga- NXT
    • Tyler Bate vs Axiom- NXT
    • Dru Gulak vs Charlie Dempsey- NXT
    • Dijak vs Von Wagner- NXT
    • Indi Hartwell vs Zoey Stark- NXT
    • Pretty Peter Avalon/ Ryan Nemeth/ Cezar Bonino vs Dante Martin/ Darius Martin/ AR Fox- AEW DARK
    • Spider Fly vs Aguila Oriental- IWRG
    • Angelico vs Konosuke Takeshita- AEW DARK
    • Kenzie Paige vs Charlette Renegade- NWA PowerrR LIVE
    • Red Velvet vs Jade Cargill- DYNAMITE
    • Timothy Thatcher vs Bryan Danielson- DYNAMITE
    • Samoa Joe vs Darby Allin- DYNAMITE
    • Jon Moxley vs Hangman Adam Page- DYNAMITE
    • Jonathan Gresham vs Aiden Prince- IMPACT! BTI
    • Konosuke Takeshita vs Brian Cage- DYNAMITE

Well, this week should be WILD!  You had Hangman and MOX beating the hell out of each other.  Cody wrestled on the TV!  Bryan Danielson and Timothy Thatcher had a fucking great match.  Konosuke Takeshita wavered WILDY between Negro Navarro submissions and an 80s Power Move Match with Brian Cage!  Strowman and Ricochet had a BANGER~! with secret super wrestler Giovanni Vinci!  Plus there was wads of great Lucha Libre.  I fall between the Spider Fly singles match and gnarly brawls with Canis Lupus and Fishman.  Anyway, here was a lot of wrestling!  

CUT LINE: Clark Conners vs Jakob Austin Young- CWFH; Renee Michel vs Skye Blue- AEW DARK; Tormenta vs Leia Makoa- WOW;   JD Drake/ Anthony Henry vs John Silver/ Alex Reynolds- AEW Elevation;  Bronson Reed vs Dolph Ziggler- RAW; Fuego/ Oro Jr/ Valiente Jr vs Disturbio/ Enfermero Jr/ Raider- CMLL; Stigma vs Virus- CMLL;  Brian Pillman Jr vs RUSH- AEW Elevation;  Black Fury/ India Mazahua vs Hades/ Sagitarius- IWRG; Yuka Sakazaki vs Avery Breaux- AEW DARK; Hip Hop Man/ Karaoui/ Shocko vs Gran Pandemonium/ Hijo De Pandemonium/ Pandemonium Jr- IWRG;  Danielle Karmella vs Zeda Zang- CWFH; Johnny Gargano vs Baron Corbin- RAW 

• Thanks 1

Cody/Finn was good with the two gelling way better than I would have expected for a first time match up. It was easily the stand out with the rest still being solid at worst and some genuinely nice matches like Io/Candice and Gargano/Corbin.

Bate/Axiom fed into each other's style so so well and was damn good. Like Cody/Finn it was the standout despite there being some pretty nice stuff like Dempsey/Gulak & Dijak/Wagner. 

Hangman/Mox was another fine match this week. Dug the opening brawl before the bell and how much of this came across as Mox a bit desperate for the win based both off his actions and commentary. All of that came together and sold the finish and aftermath being unsatisfactory for both men so well. As for Bryan/Thatcher, I like Bryan and like the idea of Thatcher, but I didn't much care for their match. It was fine but nothing really stand out at all. Darby/Joe on the other hand was lovely. Joe was not just a beast but a smart beast, and Darby was great his kamikaze attempts to bring Joe down. Only "weak" part was Darby not being able to get the thumbtack hoodie on in time. He should have opted for a jacket. 

Braun/Ricochet vs. Imperium was a great little tag match that exceeded expectations due to Ricochet and Braun already having a nice bit of chemistry built up and playing their roles wells. its kind of impressive how both can do FIP and offensive beasts so well considering their size difference. Braun's feud with Imperium has been a nice revelation as to just how good he actually is. Raiders/Brutes and Charlotte/Sonya were both solid-good matches as well but were not on the level of the big tag match that preceded them.

Right now its between Bate/Axiom, Hangman/Mox, and Braun/Ricochet vs. Imperium for me. Leaning mostly towards the tag right now, but I still got lucha and maybe Rampage to catch. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Between Bryan Danielson/Timothy Thatcher mat based limb work and the insane spectacle of Samoa Joe/Darby Allin. Went with the former as that's my style of wrestling. Honourable mention to Jon Moxley/Adam Page also. All three on one show!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Interesting how Danielson/Thatcher, Joe/Allin and Moxley/Page has split the board. Civil War~!

Every man for himself- GOD AGAINST ALL!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

And Joe/Darby breaks from the pack!

Not 100% sure, I think I might've tied it up yesterday when I voted, but I'm glad to see it snag a few more overnight. Hangman/Mox would have RAN AWAY with it for me if it were on almost any other card - but Darby/Joe were just on fire (and I didn't think they could top their first encounter, with all the crazy swing into the guardrail stuff). 

I always get curious about the demographics of the Board on stuff like this, because I'd bet anything that I'm rating it super high by virtue of kind of still being in taste-formative years during the tail end of ECW, and then being right in the middle of high school for Joe/Necro 

• Thanks 1

• DEAN unpinned this topic