DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

Yeah I had only seen one ROH non-TK match in my entire life (Joe vs Kobashi) until a month ago when I signed up for Honor Club but I've been hooked on exploring the vast archive. The curated playlists have been handy too in helping me avoid some of the unpleasant surprises from the early complete shows (ie, Mikey Whipwreck guest refereeing in the inaugural event). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dog said:

Did we ever decide how much of the old stuff is actually on Honor Club? Like, what percentage of the first five years, for example?

Very little - last I checked there's a bunch of complete shows from 02-03, and then everything up until HDNet era is just select matches

You can download the app and browse through the catalogue without having to log in

Edited by Dolphman 3000

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What is this?

Bix and his crew of idiots went into Fight Game Media's private Discord where their staff talks about behind-the-scenes stuff, and he decided to create drama by screencapping the conversations and posting them on Twitter, calling them "quotes from Wrestling Observer employees"

If I had the book for Uncle Tony, I'd seriously consider putting the All Atlantic Title on Big Bill this week. Not because I think Cassidy has done a bad job, but just to reintroduce some unpredictability. Stoke has done a fantastic job getting the nose up on that Firm stuff and that group probably deserves a bit of shine. Then you could do Cassidy vs. Joe for the TNT Title if you don't put the title back on Wardlow. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

If I had the book for Uncle Tony, I'd seriously consider putting the All Atlantic Title on Big Bill this week. Not because I think Cassidy has done a bad job, but just to reintroduce some unpredictability. Stoke has done a fantastic job getting the nose up on that Firm stuff and that group probably deserves a bit of shine. Then you could do Cassidy vs. Joe for the TNT Title if you don't put the title back on Wardlow. 

I was thinking the same thing, kind of like when they put the IC title on Nash in '94 while Razor was still really hot. It's not so much deflating the fans by beating their guy as being like look at what this huge scary man just did to your hero. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Goal should be to put either All-Atlantic or TNT on Starks in Austin in May.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Goal should be to put either All-Atlantic or TNT on Starks in Austin in May.

Oh, I totally agree. But I think Big Bill to Starks is easier to book than Cassidy to Starks.

• Like 1

I was just thinking that as much as I like OC, if we follow the law of the TNT title where eventually the champion runs out of steam and loses the title, that OC has to be at that point where he's vulnerable. I figured he would have dropped the title after defending it against Kip because Kip was probably his toughest opponent and the only person to really frustrate OC.

But yeah, Big Bill beats OC for the title, and then eventually loses the title to HOOK.

16 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

The Firm are wank though. So many more deserving guys.

I mean, Big Bill's working hard. Clearly having fun and presumably not the backstage issue he was elsewhere. I also think you could send a positive message to potential free agents that you don't have to be an AEW original to get to the higher levels of the company. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't really mind Big Bill. I just think the Firm are one of the worst things in the company and don't really deserve to be rewarded. I mean, Rush could murder OC and transition the belt to Starks, having better matches while a shitty faction looks on along the way. Or if it has to be a big boy, throw Lance Archer a bone. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Yeah, I don't really mind Big Bill. I just think the Firm are one of the worst things in the company and don't really deserve to be rewarded. I mean, Rush could murder OC and transition the belt to Starks, having better matches while a shitty faction looks on along the way. Or if it has to be a big boy, throw Lance Archer a bone. 

RUSH is a good shout, actually. That's not a bad idea. I get the sense they want RUSH to be a big ROH star, though.

Trickiest thing with AEW booking is that you don't have a ton of mid card heels that can both eat losses and that fans aren't groaning over.

• Starks needs to win another feud coming out of the JAS one.
  • Do you really want him to feud with Jarrett/Lethal? Or QT Marshall? Sabian? Nese/Woods/Davari? Fans grumble. The Firm isn't credible, really, either.
  • They did Cage/Archer/Page already on the road to his MJF match. You could go back but there's not a lot of legs there.
  • Do you want the House of Black or Swerve or Hobbs (can't go back to that last one anyway) lose.

So Starks vs RUSH/Vance or Starks vs Christian feel like fairly good ones.

Edited by Matt D