DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

19 hours ago, zendragon said:

Doesn't Mikey Rukus do all the inhouse themes?

He does, at least some of them.  It's funny that his own material is sort of homage to early 2000's Nu-Metal. But I guess there are folks who feel nostalgic towards that, too!

• Like 2

AEW is so frustrating to me, because they've got all the pieces to be one of the best promotions ever, but the way the company is booked is always holding them back. It's like, there's all these cool people, but half of them don't interact with one another, or just disappear for weeks on end, while you have guys like Jericho (who I still think has value) just constantly in my face. I mean, Claudio is one of the best wrestlers in the world, but what is he fucking around with? They couldn't come up with anything for Miro? Come on. Don't give me the trying to be an actor bullshit. Give him a fucking angle to sink his teeth into. Cut the supernatural/talk in riddles nonsense with House of Black. You've got three badass wrestlers with unique looks and their spooky gothy chick and they never do anything cool. Have them roll over the Elite and dominate the trios division, or have Brody and Buddy win the tag belts with Black talking for them. Instead they put the belts on those mid as fuck, London and Kendrick Smackdown tag title challenger-looking motherfuckers the Gunns. Tony has fuck you money, so throw the fucking bag at Mercedes already, give her a big-ass entourage of hangers-on/lackies and have her feud with Hayter. This is an incredible roster of talent, but I feel like its only being used to like 50-60% of its potential, and that makes me sad.

• Like 13

I feel like TK likes to hold a lot of stuff in his back pocket. Like, he's got these matchups back there, it's a matter of when he's going to pull the trigger on them.

Sometimes, I think he's smart in doing things like getting Danielson in the ring with Omega immediately. But, sometimes, he can hold stuff too long and you end up with the Miro situation or maybe Starks getting cold before he really pulls the trigger with him.

• Like 4

I agree that the narrative walls that are put up between segments / programs in AEW seem higher than other promotions. Every segment is its own little universe with practically zero cross-pollination. 

I’d love to see TK lean into his inner Heyman or…dear God…Russo, and have the personalities on his roster interact more. It doesn’t have to be huge stuff, but little things backstage or or coming to / from the ring where these characters from other parts of the map interact. Like how fun would a 30 second HoB / Danhausen interaction be? Stuff like that to glue the roster together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I’d love to see TK lean into his inner Heyman or…dear God…Russo, and have the personalities on his roster interact more.

When I think of that, I don't think of either guy, I rather think of current WWE and really Impact. Both do a solid job at bringing together disparate personalities with humor involved. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I agree that the narrative walls that are put up between segments / programs in AEW seem higher than other promotions. Every segment is its own little universe with practically zero cross-pollination. 

I’d love to see TK lean into his inner Heyman or…dear God…Russo, and have the personalities on his roster interact more. It doesn’t have to be huge stuff, but little things backstage or or coming to / from the ring where these characters from other parts of the map interact. Like how fun would a 30 second HoB / Danhausen interaction be? Stuff like that to glue the roster together.

I think that’s because Tony books using EWR and you can only fit so many people into a segment / match / feud on that.

Stop listening to Sophie so much TK!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hope Satnam and the gang are ready.

Paul Wight said that he hopes to return to the rings of AEW in March after undergoing knee replacement surgery.

Talking to UK news outlet Metro, the 51-year-old said he's had "a couple of injury setbacks" that included the knee replacement last August.

"That knee was bad for 12 years, so it could’ve gone any day. It’s like kind of like that tire on your car that you know you should change but keep driving anyway. But, we’re good now, and hopefully we’ll be back in the ring in March. Everything’s on schedule, so we’re looking good," he said.

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/aew-paul-wight-big-show-hoping-to-return-to-action-in-march?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 5

The Mikey Rukus custom theme for Billie Starkz goes up on streaming platforms tomorrow.

Is this a normal thing for unsigned talent? I don’t even think her theme has been played on any Dark episode yet, just for the live crowd (she has a Khantron video, too).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

The Mikey Rukus custom theme for Billie Starkz goes up on streaming platforms tomorrow.

Is this a normal thing for unsigned talent? I don’t even think her theme has been played on any Dark episode yet, just for the live crowd (she has a Khantron video, too).

She worked Tara Valkyrie at the MLW taping right?

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

She worked Tara Valkyrie at the MLW taping right?

Yes. I don’t think she uses an AEW exclusive theme there though?

spoilers for the match

Spoiler

And she lost to Taya. Rumor was Billie might win because Taya was supposedly on her way out I believe.

22 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

AEW is so frustrating to me, because they've got all the pieces to be one of the best promotions ever, but the way the company is booked is always holding them back. It's like, there's all these cool people, but half of them don't interact with one another, or just disappear for weeks on end, while you have guys like Jericho (who I still think has value) just constantly in my face. I mean, Claudio is one of the best wrestlers in the world, but what is he fucking around with? They couldn't come up with anything for Miro? Come on. Don't give me the trying to be an actor bullshit. Give him a fucking angle to sink his teeth into. Cut the supernatural/talk in riddles nonsense with House of Black. You've got three badass wrestlers with unique looks and their spooky gothy chick and they never do anything cool. Have them roll over the Elite and dominate the trios division, or have Brody and Buddy win the tag belts with Black talking for them. Instead they put the belts on those mid as fuck, London and Kendrick Smackdown tag title challenger-looking motherfuckers the Gunns. Tony has fuck you money, so throw the fucking bag at Mercedes already, give her a big-ass entourage of hangers-on/lackies and have her feud with Hayter. This is an incredible roster of talent, but I feel like its only being used to like 50-60% of its potential, and that makes me sad.

Clearly, the Khan booking style puts a lot of emphasis on fresh matches/interactions, and to the point of frustration. The lack of title rematches in particular has always felt like a mistake and a hurdle for this 3 years in booker. The Dax Harwood pod this week talking about the first Bucks match and the frustrations with having no follow-up is a great example of this. That said, when laying out the fantasy book, is there enough consideration of the reality of the situation - the injuries, the politics, and all other unforeseen circumstances? You make mention of Miro, who is a great example. We certainly don't know all of the details, but the talk is Miro turned down booking plans because he didn't like them - I think this is pretty well known. He turned them down while his wife takes to podcast interviews stirring up shit with headline leading remarks. Maybe the booking Miro was offered was shitty and he was smart to pass. Or maybe the Meltzer-shared talk of these ex-WWE superstars, with WWEPSTD, refusing to do jobs, etc. is a more accurate account of what's happening. Maybe beloved Miro isn't being a good team player? House of Black is another great example. Matthews and Black were both asking for releases as soon as 'Paul' got in charge and illegally came calling. Are those the kinda guys you really want to put over your company guys/top stars having excellent matches on TV every week? I don't disagree with your Claudio remark, but it's also pretty clear he's long been earmarked for the upcoming ROH show. A show that has taken a long time to get going. Annoyingly long perhaps, but who here has ever tried to negotiate a TV deal while trying to relaunch an entire company? A situation which changes drastically when it's launched on a little known App as opposed to national television. Further, it's fairly safe to assume the increased size of the roster over the past year or so has something to do with this soon-to-be-arriving ROH weekly. I love and see great potential with the Gunns, but I agree they aren't there yet. Oh well, something didn't hit as well as it should have. Not such a big deal. I haven't seen any significant reports of any Mercedes-AEW negotiations, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, and seems like a stretch to assume it hasn't. I'm not so sure we can rightfully assume it's a simple matter of money with Ms. Mo-nay. I agree that the Khan booking is sometimes frustrating, but it's a lot more difficult for me to overlook the amount of FUN and successes happening every goddamn week. Rush-Danielson just had one of the best TV matches I've ever seen. And it was followed up by a Trios title match that has become the norm as opposed to the jaw dropping talked about match it would have been before AEW started. I watch WWE these days (with a FFWD button close), and it's such a good reminder of all the little things AEW does so well that get overlooked. Simple things like pinfall/submission finishes, respecting tag teams and tag team wrestling, the lack of longwinded promos, the abondment of magic cameras, and all the other awful formulaic McMahon tropes. Complaining is easy, but so is being grateful for what this terrific pro wrestling company is working fabulously hard to offer on a weekly basis.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I don't disagree with your Claudio remark, but it's also pretty clear he's long been earmarked for the upcoming ROH show. A show that has taken a long time to get going. Annoyingly long perhaps, but who here has ever tried to negotiate a TV deal while trying to relaunch an entire company?

EJ Nduka had an absolutely horrible match with Takeshita on Dark a few weeks back, and the prevailing opinion was "he's never getting signed".

News broke yesterday that Tony Khan has offered him a contract.

How will Nduka, who has a great look and great potential, but only 16 career matches, possibly benefit from AEW's infrequent bookings?

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm not so sure we can rightfully assume it's a simple matter of money with Ms. Mo-nay

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

lol Brody King liked a tweet that said CM Punk did nothing wrong

Unless there's like, some real left field name, like a Dave Batista or equivalent, I'm convinced one of these two is going to either return or have a match booked for Revolution, based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that the Chase Center is a big ol' building in a brand new market. The empty seats at Grand Slam II were kinda scary (granted this was just after All Out, so there was no Punk or Elite on the card, but we had our tickets for months by that point, not sure how much late/walkup business they typically do for those shows).

Edit: Nevermind. Per Wrestletix on Twitter as of 1/12, they're not setting it up for full capacity, pretty regular ass crowd

AEW Revolution
Sun • Mar 05 • 4:00 PM
Chase Center, SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Available Tickets => 1,554
Current Setup/Capacity => 7,680
Tickets Distributed => 6,126

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

I don’t think it’s gonna get to much more than 8k total, lowest attended ppv yet and first time in the market (although I’ve stated multiple times I think they messed up their whole entry into the Bay Area). 

Edit: but it is over 6500 now. 

Edited by matt925

2 hours ago, Casey said:

lol Brody King liked a tweet that said CM Punk did nothing wrong

I thought it was interesting that Meltzer has gone from saying Punk would never return to saying AEW might or might not use Punk when he’s healthy in a couple months, but that bringing him back has some potential pitfalls.  I guess they never did fire him?  Too bad.

i don’t see an enough of an upside to bringing him back, but he’d probably still draw well and the initial period after his return would probably do huge numbers, so it will be interesting if they try it.  AEW seems to be cooling off, so Tony might be desperate enough to try it even if the Elite aren’t on board.