DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

I've mentioned before that the "Jesus" guy who is always in the crowd at the Austin AEW shows is on a Facebook wrestling group I joined. Apparently he and a couple of others from that group were on the Jericho Cruise, and during an Acclaimed match the crowd sang "Ooooh, scissor me Jesus". Saw some fun photos of people with various wrestlers, didn't get any match results.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For all we know, Trench might a Mark Briscoe level genius, but the face tattoos suggest otherwise. 

Well, maybe he fell asleep on a night out and his team mates pranked him, drew on his face, rolled him into a questionable tattoo parlor and told the artist to make the scribbles permanent. If those were his own choice, then you are most likely correct.

Edited by Shartnado
pronouns...
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JLowe said:

I've mentioned before that the "Jesus" guy who is always in the crowd at the Austin AEW shows is on a Facebook wrestling group I joined. Apparently he and a couple of others from that group were on the Jericho Cruise, and during an Acclaimed match the crowd sang "Ooooh, scissor me Jesus". Saw some fun photos of people with various wrestlers, didn't get any match results.

Jay lethal and moose had a match as black machismo and Zeus, that sounds like fun. Seems like a lot less buzz this time around, I didn’t even realize the cruise was this weekend until I saw a retweet in my timeline on Saturday, then I started looking at the jericho cruise hashtag. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Beyond Wrestling announced that Wheeler Yuta, Tracy Williams and Trish Adora had all been pulled from their show on Sunday 26th February. They initially said Willow Nightingale too, but they have since withdrawn that and said she'll be there. But this has a lot of people thinking, ROH is taping that day.

Brogan Finlay & Billie Starkz were pulled from their shows on the same date

https://twitter.com/ETUwrestling/status/1620835180650037248?t=Co6niy3ZEQhrgzh3Fsi63g&s=19

• Like 1

Bit of a rhetorical question here, or just an observation, but who the hell keeps making the amazing synth-wave themes for AEW wrestlers? First it was Sonny Kiss/Bad Boy "Just Drive", then the Cool Hand/ Daddy Magic "Sunset on Vice" (or something to that affect) and now The Outrunners! I have the first two on my gym/running playlist, I hope The Outrunners gain enough steam for their theme to show up on Spotify, at least!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 8:43 AM, AxB said:

Beyond Wrestling announced that Wheeler Yuta, Tracy Williams and Trish Adora had all been pulled from their show on Sunday 26th February. They initially said Willow Nightingale too, but they have since withdrawn that and said she'll be there. But this has a lot of people thinking, ROH is taping that day.

It's fine, and the ship has long, long sailed, but I wish I knew literally anything about this ROH roster, whether anyone is exclusive to it, etc. I'm not joking when I say that in the 'official' sense, I cannot name anyone other than Mark Briscoe (and I guess all the Champions, in a technical sense).

I know it seems like a silly, nitpicky gripe, but just using the names in your post as an example: Wheeler and Claudio had some of the best Dynamite/Rampage matches of 2022 (this week's kick ass Elevation tag is a great exhibit too) - Willow, you all know how I feel about her, she should end Jade's streak and sell a billion shirts - every time Trish is on Dark I beg for her to be signed - I'd really like to know whether or not I'm going to get to continue seeing these folks on AEW proper.

• Like 1

Against Waves and Curls? Traevon Jordan and Jaelyn Brandon?

I don’t know, but it’s a lot more searchable if you have the opponent’s names.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

EMERGENCY! Does anyone know the episode of AEW Dark where FTR had a match and their opponent made a hot tag, only both members of FTR were already laid out on the mat and then gave him the Big Rig out of nowhere? 

Think this is what you're after 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JBdXf2gL8Q&ab_channel=AllEliteWrestling

20 hours ago, elizium said:

Have Billie be the one to beat MJF

at the risk of bringing some real "Shane Helms can't be called Shane because of Shane McMahon" energy but there's a chance i'll confuse Zoey Stark and Billie Starkz if they ever worked in the same company

Although enough people would be able to buy-in if a company insisted that Zoey and Billie were sisters. We might need more fake relatives in this business.

15 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Have her be the one that beats Jade? In her debut match after graduation.

I’d mark so fucking hard for a Billie title win in AEW, but two things: it seems she’s earmarked for the new ROH (which I’m good with - vs Athena would be awesome) and if we’re waiting until high school graduation, we still have 3 or 4 months and I don’t know if Jade’s reign is even going to survive past March tbh.

• Like 1

Thought this would be a fun question, the Match of the Year for every year of AEW (2019-2023) to see where we agree/disagree. Here's mine:

Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing, 25th May 2019. *****.

Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. AEW Brodie Lee Celebration of Life, 30th December 2020.

Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Rush. AEW Dynamite, 8th February 2023.

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thought this would be a fun question, the Match of the Year for every year of AEW (2019-2023) to see where we agree/disagree. Here's mine:

Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing, 25th May 2019. *****.

Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. AEW Brodie Lee Celebration of Life, 30th December 2020.

Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.

Bryan Danielson vs. Rush. AEW Dynamite, 8th February 2023.

I actually agree with a few of these.

I'd say

Cody/Dustin for 2019

Page/Omega v The Young Bucks for 2020

Page v Danielson, Broadway Draw for 2021

Page v Danielson for 2022

Rush v Danielson for 2023

I'm sure I'm very much in the minority for ranking Page so highly, but he's low-key one of the best AEW performers when it's time to bring the goods, both in-ring and promo wise.

• Like 1

2019: Cody vs Dustin

2020: Kenny/Page vs Bucks or FTR vs Bucks

2021: CM Punk, Darby Allin, and Sting vs MJF and FTR

2022: Chris Jericho vs Eddie Kingston at Revolution 

2019 covered much of the time where there was near consensus agreement of Cody being great in AEW. The Dustin match is the obvious peak. Shameful that there was a time they’d almost begged WWE to try this.

2020 is a hard one. As much as I begged for more plot advancement during the period when people were taking the pandemic seriously, the atmosphere is awful. The FTR-Bucks match is the only thing from that time that holds any appeal in terms of rewatchability. Balanced against the peak of Omega/Bucks in ring storytelling in AEW, I don’t know what the answer is for that year.

I don’t care much for Chris Jericho these days. Even less so before this match kicked off another renaissance for him. He had an all-time great opener with Kingston. If one of Jericho’s matches is still lingering me a year later, I gotta be honest with myself and admit it.

• Like 1