DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

We get AEW on the first day of the month tonight with a packed AEW Dynamite with Bryan Danielson/Timothy Thatcher, Darby Allin/Samoa Joe, Hangman Adam Page/Jon Moxley. The promotion will continue the build towards AEW Revolution 2023. Enjoy y'all!

• Like 1

Best short term move with Adam Cole is to have the Kingdom come out to try to buddy up with him and be his new cronies but for him to say he wants to do it alone and come down strong as a face. I get the sense that Bennett and Taven would be good, safe, comfortable initial opponents for him and would cement his alignment turn.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, AxB said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7rLkaMpZfU

The Countdown to tonight's show. But the very last thing Schiavone says, is that there will be an announcement of an expansion to AEW's live event schedule. House shows?

Confirmed live event series "House Rules", first one on March 18 in Troy, Ohio

"Feb. 1, 2023 - AEW CEO, GM and Head of Creative, Tony Khan today announced the launch of AEW House Rules", a live event series taking place on select weekends in markets across the country. Continuing the promotion's meteoric rise and following the success of "AEW: Dynamite" on Wednesdays on TBS and "AEW: Rampage" on Fridays on TNT, fans can expect an up close and personal experience at local venues along with a spectacular and engaging environment.

These non-televised, live events will showcase an electrifying mix of matchups featuring the stars of AEW. Each event offers an even more immersive experience for fans, including customized merchandise, unique ways to engage with featured talent and in-show interactions different from what is featured on televised AEW programming.

The first AEW House Rules show will take place on Saturday, March 18 in Troy, Ohio at the Hobart Arena and will feature Ohio's own Jon Moxley, Claudio Castagnoli, Dr. Britt Baker, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy, and many more. Tickets for all AEW House Rules show start at $20 plus fees and can be purchased at AEWTIX.com starting Friday, Feb. 3 at 10 a.m. ET. Further show dates will be announced in the coming weeks."

• Like 6

One house show a week is definitely still better than WWE’s schedule. This’ll probably remove a lot of potential indie bookings for some talent if they keep these shows on the weekend, but by all accounts most of the roster wanted this. But I don’t think we know exactly how many shows a week most of the roster was wanting, though. Is one enough?

Notable that this first one is the weekend of OTT’a Scrappermania, and they’ve already had Kingston pull out of their Homecoming tour due to personal reasons. Moxley might have to be pulled from their biggest show now, too.

AEW will always be the big #2 US alternative to WWE among fans and wrestlers, but I do wonder if they load up on house shows if that’ll change perceptions with talent since the initial appeal of AEW was the lighter schedule. But they’ve become heavy with experienced workers vs the first year or two, so…

Edited by Casey

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Confirmed live event series "House Rules", first one on March 18 in Troy, Ohio

"Feb. 1, 2023 - AEW CEO, GM and Head of Creative, Tony Khan today announced the launch of AEW House Rules", a live event series taking place on select weekends in markets across the country. Continuing the promotion's meteoric rise and following the success of "AEW: Dynamite" on Wednesdays on TBS and "AEW: Rampage" on Fridays on TNT, fans can expect an up close and personal experience at local venues along with a spectacular and engaging environment.

These non-televised, live events will showcase an electrifying mix of matchups featuring the stars of AEW. Each event offers an even more immersive experience for fans, including customized merchandise, unique ways to engage with featured talent and in-show interactions different from what is featured on televised AEW programming.

The first AEW House Rules show will take place on Saturday, March 18 in Troy, Ohio at the Hobart Arena and will feature Ohio's own Jon Moxley, Claudio Castagnoli, Dr. Britt Baker, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy, and many more. Tickets for all AEW House Rules show start at $20 plus fees and can be purchased at AEWTIX.com starting Friday, Feb. 3 at 10 a.m. ET. Further show dates will be announced in the coming weeks."

Weird to run the first show in what’s basically a suburb of Dayton 6 weeks after they run Dynamite/Rampage in Dayton. These venues are like 30 minutes apart.

• Like 2

Going to the most recent Grand Slam assured me that I'm done attending TV tapings. Better views at home. So I am ALL for house shows. Stuff you won't see anywhere else, a little loosened up, for a cheaper price? Hell yeah.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

Weird to run the first show in what’s basically a suburb of Dayton 6 weeks after they run Dynamite/Rampage in Dayton. These venues are like 30 minutes apart.

The Nutter Center is in a Dayton suburb already (Fairborn, OH) in the vicinity of Wright-Patterson AFB. But it's sorta like Hara Arena was in Trotwood and not Dayton before Hara was condemned and knocked down.

Troy isn't exactly a suburb of Dayton but it's close (neither Fairborn or Troy are in the same county as Dayton, but there's a certain amount of Greene County, Ohio that's right next to Montgomery County).

The AEW show is the only event listed at Hobart Arena between the Lego League Championship (March 11th-12th) and Travis Tritt (March 30th). I wonder how many AEW House Shows will double as "certain talent gets to promote shows in their local area" events. So if AEW runs a sold show in Xenia in May at the Dayton Hamvention, then maybe Mox is promoting towns now.

Anyways, they're running closeish to Dayton on the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. The First Four is on Tuesday/Wednesday (14th/15th) at UD Arena in Dayton. So I guess if you're picking a Saturday night to go on the road, you start when it's not too cold and before you have to compete for eyeballs with other too many sporting events in the area?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

If they do house shows in Tennessee close to me IE not fuckin Nashville, I’ll totally go. I know there’s like one or two people on this board that live pretty close to me too.

Jeff Jarrett probably immediately called about open dates at the Fairgrounds for AEW House Shows. Wonder how many colleges would be willing to book out an arena for a show or if that would be a financial pain in the ass?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

If they do house shows in Tennessee close to me IE not fuckin Nashville, I’ll totally go. I know there’s like one or two people on this board that live pretty close to me too.

Tennessee may as well be four different states. What would be the closest city to you? 

57 minutes ago, Casey said:

😂

The biggest city would be Murfreesboro.

I was gonna guess that actually. That's said, it's not that far from Nashville. I'm guessing it's other reasons you don't want to go to Nashville. 

I'm from Northwest Mississippi (the Delta area) and that's an hour and half away from Memphis. Memphis to Nashville is a three and a half hour drive. You know what's between Memphis and Nashville? Nothing. If you lived more towards that area, I would understand.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was gonna guess that actually. That's said, it's not that far from Nashville. I'm guessing it's other reasons you don't want to go to Nashville. 

I'm from Northwest Mississippi (the Delta area) and that's an hour and half away from Memphis. Memphis to Nashville is a three and a half hour drive. You know what's between Memphis and Nashville? Nothing. If you lived more towards that area, I would understand.

Yeah, my reasoning is I hate driving in Nashville lol. I’m more comfortable and familiar with Murfreesboro. I understand live TV and PPVs being in Nashville, Memphis, etc but house shows should be in “smaller” areas IMO. WCW and WWF both used to run Murfreesboro at the Murphy Center in the early 90s.

Not the Murphy Center, but I saw GZA at MTSU in like… 2010, I think? No clue if they still book anything cool, but it’s not unheard of!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

😂

The biggest city would be Murfreesboro.

guessing that the 11520 seat MTSU basketball arena is a little too large for most house shows (sorry tiny market, you're getting dinged for having too many seats instead of too few!) and it would be too tempting to just go to Nashville instead.

Now it's not my money that would be lost if i'm wrong, but I think that wrestling running on campus wouldn't be as awful of a decision as it could have been in previous decades. Especially if it's a sold show through the school somehow.

Now one venue that would be notable to run but will never ever host wrestling for a variety of very obvious reasons: The Ryman.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

guessing that the 11520 seat MTSU basketball arena is a little too large for most house shows (sorry tiny market, you're getting dinged for having too many seats instead of too few!) and it would be too tempting to just go to Nashville instead.

Now it's not my money that would be lost if i'm wrong, but I think that wrestling running on campus wouldn't be as awful of a decision as it could have been in previous decades. Especially if it's a sold show through the school somehow.

Now one venue that would be notable to run but will never ever host wrestling for a variety of very obvious reasons: The Ryman.

We finally get the payoff for those damn Double J vignettes 30 years later? He finally parlayed his wrestling career into something in country music.

I am still shocked boxing managed to finagle two shows at Radio City Music Hall. The first one being a Roy Jones fight in January 2000 where the Rockettes performed IIRC and another one like 15 years later for the incredibly disappointing and boring Nonito Donaire vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux "superfight".

You would think Vince would be all over that.

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Have you ever been to the Ryman? I saw She & Him there (also 2010!) and those church pew type seats are terrible. I can’t imagine sitting through a wrestling show there. But if it ever happened, I’d probably force myself to travel to Nashville just for the spectacle of pro wrestling at the Ryman.

2 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Not that they need more guys but I would love to see the House of Black kick out Buddy and bring in Jake Lee now that he's a free agent.

Imagine Brody King and Jake Lee just murdering babyface tag teams.

Just make it 4 guys. One of my favorite things about AEW is that not every faction is exactly the same size...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, just drew said:

Just make it 4 guys. One of my favorite things about AEW is that not every faction is exactly the same size...

My suggestion was more a dig at Buddy who I find very bland and deadweight-ish compared to the other two guys. But fair enough.

• Like 2