DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

6 minutes ago, DJ Hero Morganti said:

For a long time I thought Michael Cole was Todd pettingil.  I thought it was a doc Hendrix thing.  

I'm insulted on Michael Cole's behalf. I'd rather have heel Michael Cole announce my life for a week than ever listen to that irritating dork Pettengill ruin an episode of Action Zone again. 

• Haha 1

Read a recent tweet from Bayley how she doesn't want to be left off WrestleMania again. Fucking criminal how Bayley/Sasha Banks carried the WWE during the pandemic era and Bayley wasn't booked to have a match at WrestleMania XXXVII. Bayley was instead stuck as WrestleMania XXXVII host and with Hulk fucking Hogan. Such an insult. Bayley should have won the 2021 Women's Royal Rumble match in 2021 for Sasha Banks vs. Bayley at WrestleMania XXXVII. Felt that way at the time and still do

On the subject of booking, Bayley's not had the best since returning from her ACL injury at last year's SummerSlam. Thought she'd have won one of the WWE Women's world titles.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Bayley was instead stuck as WrestleMania XXXVII host and with Hulk fucking Hogan

They did the same thing with New Day at the last Mania I watched (2017 or 18?). I can almost hear Vince telling her/them 'Its just as important as the main event! You're hosting the *entire* two-night premium live event extravaganza!' in his best vintage canary-blue-suit-voice.

• Like 1

one extra note about the Jake A&E Biography

Diamond Dallas Page's talk about Jake being the first antihero in wrestling was reasonable enough (hey, if he wasn't, he was close to being the first).. then he mentioned Stone Cold as an antihero, which is also true.. then he mentioned DDP as an antihero, which is complete bullshit, at least in regards to DDP's peak run in WCW. Dallas has done a lot of good things for others, but it's okay for him to not try to put himself over in some conversations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Did Mercer work for the TV station that had the wrestling? That’s a common denominator for a lot of the guys in the 60s and 70s. 

I know he worked for CBS-KRLD locally, especially during the aftermath of Nov 22, 1963. I’ll have to ask if and when I see him again. He is staying at a retirement home in the North Dallas area. My grandmother also stays there, lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Mercer and Lowrence were the perfect announcers for World Class, a Gordon Solie type wouldn't have been a good fit. World Class needed Von Erich homers who were able show disgust at the heel doing heel things, the disappointment when something didn't go the Von Erich's way and the same shock the fans had when something crazy happened. 

Perfectly said. They fit this area perfectly.

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

one extra note about the Jake A&E Biography

Diamond Dallas Page's talk about Jake being the first antihero in wrestling was reasonable enough (hey, if he wasn't, he was close to being the first).. then he mentioned Stone Cold as an antihero, which is also true.. then he mentioned DDP as an antihero, which is complete bullshit, at least in regards to DDP's peak run in WCW. Dallas has done a lot of good things for others, but it's okay for him to not try to put himself over in some conversations.

I’d say Dutch preceded both, and he was a mentor of sorts to Austin in Memphis. 

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

DDP tried to be/thought he was some kind of badass babyface. I guess he was for a minute there but it was never on the same level as Jake or SCSA. Not even in his own dreams. 

Yeah, I'm with you, I'll give it to him, during the jeans/ribtape/enter through the crowd period, there was a sliiiiight bit of that salt and peppered in there. To me, it seemed more like the common thread with DDP and Austin's characters was the blue collar, working-man type presentation rather than any 'antihero' aspect. The NWO were the anti-heroes. FWIW, I find it interesting DDP uses that wording at all, given that when he finally did turn heel in '99, rather than be an anti-hero he more or less just started doing a cover version of Rock's schtick, down to the $500 shirt.

• Like 1

It's more likely that DDP simply doesn't know the literal definition of "antihero" and was using it colloquially to mean a popular character that isn't entirely virtuous. His face run kinda had some parallels to Austin in that he embodied a blue collar American stereotype, but ultimately he stuck to pre-attitude babyface tropes with his promos and feuds. Austin actually went all-in on the trashiness and changed the game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Red King said:

Looks like Vickie Guerreo is soon done with AEW.

If the WWE does not

• Hold steadfast to the fact that Dom is Eddie Guerrero's kayfabe son
  • Bring in Vickie to teach Dom the ways of his biological father
  • Have Dominick wrestle as Dominick Guerrero and rip off Eddie's moveset (poorly)
  • Use this to set up an intergender Rey vs. Rhea Custody of Dominick Ladder Match

then they are absolute cowards of the highest order. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

It's more likely that DDP simply doesn't know the literal definition of "antihero" and was using it colloquially to mean a popular character that isn't entirely virtuous. His face run kinda had some parallels to Austin in that he embodied a blue collar American stereotype, but ultimately he stuck to pre-attitude babyface tropes with his promos and feuds. Austin actually went all-in on the trashiness and changed the game.

I was gonna say that he's somewhat correct in that the Original DDP face run as a man of the people could be considered Anti-hero

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Read a recent tweet from Bayley how she doesn't want to be left off WrestleMania again. Fucking criminal how Bayley/Sasha Banks carried the WWE during the pandemic era and Bayley wasn't booked to have a match at WrestleMania XXXVII. 

I watched her interview with Ariel Helwani today and she talking about how she wanted Damage Control to be like Evolution. She wanted in be an actual woman's stable that is more than just 3 Women put together. I hope we get a 6 Women at Mania with Damage Control against Becky, Lita & Trish or someone like that.

In the interview she pretty much said she didn't think her idea for Damage Control wouldn't have gotten on TV if Vince was still booking. Even though Hunter went with the idea it seems they aren't sure how to book an actual women's faction in that division. You'd think with Hunter being so old school, he'd be ready to book a Women's equivalent of the Horseman or something 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If the WWE does not

• Have Dominick wrestle as Dominick Guerrero and rip off Eddie's moveset (poorly)
  • Use this to set up an intergender Rey vs. Rhea Custody of Dominick Ladder Match

Are we sure Booker Of The Year has already been decided?

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If the WWE does not

and option 5, finally be able to hold a trios tournament to see who the greatest wrestling family is, The Family Jewel

Guerrero - Dom, Chavo, & Edge

Colons - Carlito, Epico, & Primo

Anoa’i - the Usos & Solo

Fifita - Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, & Hikuleo

Von Erich - Ross, Marshall, & Lacey

Rotunda - IRS, Bray Wyatt, Bo Dallas

Dudleys - D’Von, Bully Ray, and Spike

Rhodes - Cody, Goldust, & Rhodes Dogg

(If you can make a deal with Tony, try and book 3.0 - Daddy Magic, Cool Hand Ang, and their son Daniel Garcia. I’m also sure you can round up a bunch of block head Andersons to throw in there).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I watched her interview with Ariel Helwani today and she talking about how she wanted Damage Control to be like Evolution. She wanted in be an actual woman's stable that is more than just 3 Women put together. I hope we get a 6 Women at Mania with Damage Control against Becky, Lita & Trish or someone like that.

In the interview she pretty much said she didn't think her idea for Damage Control wouldn't have gotten on TV if Vince was still booking. Even though Hunter went with the idea it seems they aren't sure how to book an actual women's faction in that division. You'd think with Hunter being so old school, he'd be ready to book a Women's equivalent of the Horseman or something 

NXT shows otherwise with how they booked Toxic Attraction. I think the bigger issue was they didn't want Bianca to lose her belt, and were still obsessed with the idea of Ronda in the main event on Smackdown. Damage Control would have been better off if they focused on Liv and had Bayley beat her for the belt instead of focusing on Raw and Bianca. I assume they thought Raw needed them more, but didn't think of long term past the Bianca feud. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

I was gonna say that he's somewhat correct in that the Original DDP face run as a man of the people could be considered Anti-hero

"Man of the people" is a pretty standard heroic trait, though. Other than low-key bragging about having a playboy-model wife, there wasn't anything unconventional about his face run.

Austin was flipping the bird and guzzling beer on TV, beating up injured people and non-wrestlers, and was downright homocidal towards HHH. Austin would call anybody an asshole or son of a bitch, DDP couldn't call his most mortal enemies anything worse than scum.

• Like 2

I was going with the more original use of the term. In the greek epics a hero had to be of noble birth, couldn't just have an average joe going on a quest. The origins of the term "anti-hero" originally referred to a common man being a hero in popular entertainment, I agree with the rest of your statement

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Read a recent tweet from Bayley how she doesn't want to be left off WrestleMania again. Fucking criminal how Bayley/Sasha Banks carried the WWE during the pandemic era and Bayley wasn't booked to have a match at WrestleMania XXXVII. Bayley was instead stuck as WrestleMania XXXVII host and with Hulk fucking Hogan. Such an insult. Bayley should have won the 2021 Women's Royal Rumble match in 2021 for Sasha Banks vs. Bayley at WrestleMania XXXVII. Felt that way at the time and still do

On the subject of booking, Bayley's not had the best since returning from her ACL injury at last year's SummerSlam. Thought she'd have won one of the WWE Women's world titles.

But I was told Triple H could do no wrong! 

Sorry. Felt salty for a minute. Yeah, Pam might need to seek her fortunes elsewhere. It's criminal how undervalued she is relative to her talent level while Shoehorn Charlotte and Ronda take up all the breathable oxygen on one show. I still love Bianca, too, but she's stuck in a rut. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1