DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

10 minutes ago, A_K said:

You're right, you're right - enough is enough. Booker of The Year will surely get eyes away from this bread & circuses and back to the product that counts, by scaling 1 mil views for the 2nd time in 5 months with Moxley/Evil Uno and Big Bill gracing screens headed into the quarterly PPV.

While this is all very amusing, it's just more symptomatic of just how much the wheels have fallen off over there for what, going on 12 months now. What a farce. 

Called the Bitcoin bottom to the exact day in November; calling the 700ks for Dynamite on deck in short order. Arenas may be so darkened by then it'll be hard to see them but when you know, you know 🔮

How are all the doctors and researchers going to get rid of cancer if you keep going around creating more of it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, A_K said:

While this is all very amusing, it's just more symptomatic of just how much the wheels have fallen off over there for what, going on 12 months now. What a farce.

It's a work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You never know where those tax cheats might be hiding. There surely are tax havens underwater.

The way the environment is going, if there aren't any now, in a few years there WILL be some tax havens under water...

• Sad 1

Just now, Shartnado said:

The way the environment is going, if there aren't any now, in a few years there WILL be some tax havens under water...

I am pretty sure the top 5% have already looked into this at the very least. And speaking of misappropriated funds, I wonder if one of the Million Dollar Man's summer residences will be the Mariana Trench. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

How are all the doctors and researchers going to get rid of cancer if you keep going around creating more of it?

To adopt a more serious tone for a moment - it is my fault the trust-fund baby, who has presided over an absolute dumpster fire of a Promotion that had a semblance of promise 18 months ago, put his head unnecessarily and unprovoked above the parapet to have It lopped off by the nerdy guy who was the butt of all of Dana's jokes at UFC while social media looks on laughing?

Hey, I just observe how epically -- for all the funds at their disposal -- the narcissist at the helm has & continues to be hell bent on fucking this all up. Not just how they fucked it up -- but how eminently foreseeable it was just how they would fuck it up. They've burnt their main event scene to cinders. Wardlow and Kingston's momentum both blown to smithereens as was always going to be the case (the latter was set up perfectly to pitch with MJF - what a waste). Once this papier-mâché Danielson storyline runs its course, there's absolutely nothing there to go to next. They've killed any remote chance decent talent from WWE jumps over for the foreseeable following the 2021 acquisitions. Top of the card is in total stasis.

Of the truly over homegrown acts (Acclaimed + MJF), the former they actually suspended and took off TV for doing their own schtick before Acclaimed broke out despite it and now they've killed one of the decent things they had going by moving the titles to a couple of faceless jobbers no one at home can even tell apart. Amusingly they continue to endorse & give TV time to acts like Jericho who clearly rot the product from within (structurally + aesthetically) while Keith Lee lumbering return, barely able to get up off the mat as though he's spent the past 8 weeks off-screen camped out at Arby's and allergic to the gym, crystallises how much exorbinantly-paid incoming talent have taken them for fools. They could not have mismanaged this ROH stuff more if they'd tried - what a completely irrelevant disaster that's all been. Kenny Omega's out there bouncing basket balls on a Friday night for less views than the "Ariel Helwani Out of Context" Twitter page.

They've touched the 820s on the landmark show; the late 700s will come next because they have proven they cannot draw new eyes and even the long-term fetishists are catching on to how plain-bad a lot of this stuff is getting. You can blame someone like me for telling you it was all going to happen, or you can hope the 'leader' of the organisation actually starts to take some responsibility for the utterly unprofessional mess he is presiding over and my comments become obsolete. Let's see.

In the meantime, ☃️ lives on. Imagine Vince back in the day getting served by the likes of Helwani. Jesus.

Edited by A_K

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am pretty sure the top 5% have already looked into this at the very least. And speaking of misappropriated funds, I wonder if one of the Million Dollar Man's summer residences will be the Mariana Trench. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A_K said:

To adopt a more serious tone for a moment... * SNIP *

As negative (and almost nihilistic) as all this is... It's hard to counter argue.

I think the turning point was when Punk came in. He went through Darby, Kingston, MJF, Page and Mox in the span of 12 months without ever really putting anyone over. Maybe they had plans for the title run but it was as one sided a run as AEW will probably ever have.

Eddie Kingston has great heat with Jericho. The long term story seemed to be that Eddie was desperate to make Jericho tap out, even if it was at the detriment to his team. 6 months of shmozz booking later and we never got the blow off.

Jericho in general has been really frustrating. The Inner Circle transforming into the JAS hasn't really presented anything different. I thought they'd be doing a sort of mock style, playing up all the tropes of WWE with a little wink and a nudge but it's really just Chris, Sammy and Hager doing the same thing but with a different tag team to take the falls along the way.

They paid big money to PAC to do not much of anything.

They bring in Miro, Black and Andrade as 'under utilized' guys from WWE. Now, I've argued the position of "Not everyone has to be world champion" but these three should be doing a hell of a lot more than they have been. Are Miro and Andrade even with AEW anymore?

They were building Jade Cargill into a star. I actually applaud the work they did with her up to around 30 or 35-0 but the last few months have been pointless. Why is she not the #1 contender for the Women's title? Why do the likes of Baker, Storm, Saraya etc not go after this title?

You have FTR with the AAA, NJPW and ROH titles but never pull the trigger to have them holding your titles as well? Even for a short term run? How do you miss that opportunity?

You build Wardlow turning on MJF pretty perfectly. Then what?

Buying ROH seemed like an opportunity to create a developmental brand with a bit of history/legacy. Why is it popping up on AEW TV and not as one of the weekly YouTube shows? 

It seems to be a common theme in AEW - The build/chase is done fairly well, if not excellently, but then there's no follow through. No plan for what happens next.

When you have a roster this stacked you want to make sure everyone gets some shine, sure, but at the same time you can't have people wandering aimlessly for weeks/months while you work out what they are going to be doing.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I was surprised that it took almost 5 years for the lawsuit to happen

I am guessing trying to delay it as much as possible. In some jurisdictions, you can delay it forever if you have the right resources (read: cash).

18 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I was thinking it was his tendency to help smuggle truckloads of beer across state lines while outwitting bumbling small town law enforcement.

Seriously, fuck all this weird and obsessive AEW doomsaying/Ariel Helwani taint licking that's already clogging up multiple threads. We need to have more timely and earnest debate.

What bombed harder: The film adaptation of The Snowman starring Michael Fassbender OR the Jerry Reed vehicle Smokey and The Bandit Part III?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's deep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

FpfeOZwXgAI-IEl?format=jpg&name=small

Muto retired in NOAH today in the Tokyo Dome, after 39 years of wrestling. He did Shinya's DDT and Chops and Misawa's Emerald Frosion in his match with Naito.

He also had one more final special match with

Spoiler

Masa Chono. Tiger Hattori was the ref.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Speaking of Belzer, am I the only person who only recently realised that the "Dookie" guy in No Holds Barred is clearly a knock on him? Hulk Dookie - YouTube

I didn’t realize it but I haven’t seen it since I was a youngun.

Here’s something I did realize a long time ago and it’s remained consistent episode after episode - SVU is a complete total critic spoof. Sometimes I can’t tell if I’m watching a TV show or Freddie Got Fingered when that mess is on. John Ritter the barnyard doctor, The Fonz as the crazy crooked lawyer, and recently they had that bald guy who played a principal in every single 80s school sitcom ever made besides Save by the Bell and the mean Grandfather from The Goldbergs in a an episode together as 2 dudes who killed their own mother. They have to be trolling and laughing when they come up with that stuff every week, then when they choose the actors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jesse the Body got a classic Belzer line during the Hogan/Warrior match at WMVI. Hogan had Warrior in a front facelock and Gorilla said something like, "Hogan with a front facelock. That'll take the starch out of you in a hurry!" and Jesse shot back, "Absolutely Gorilla! Just ask Richard Belzer!" That line was cut from all of the home video releases but I think it's back in on the Network/Peacock versions.

• Like 2