DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

On 2/13/2023 at 11:39 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

People have been using A.I. voice mimicking technology to make short, comedic videos, and two of the ones that have been popular are an argument between 'Roman' and 'Dave' about star ratings, and another series which imagines what a Gorilla Monsoon-hosted podcast would sound like. Warning: very NSFW language!

Reigns v Meltzer:

The Gorilla Pod (look up Joe Marotta's Twitter to see the rest, I think there's ~7-8 of them in total):

Roman charging up the Superman punch to Dave’s “Noooooooooooooooooooo” kills me every damn time. Give me stars. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, nofuture said:

duke.gif

Omos just standing there while almost every other person in the shot jumps up and down and does the fist pump reminds me of the time the roster tired to do Kofi’s fake Jamaican entrance routine.  Cena just waved his hands a few times in a bad pantomime of Kofi then gave the camera a shrug and a “I dunno what the heck I’m supposed to do” look.

Also, as much as I appreciate Corbin giving me another reason to root against Duke, my brother and wife went to UNC so I don’t need the help.

Edited by Doc Townsend

4 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Omos just standing there while almost every other person in the shot jumps up and down and does the fist pump reminds me of the time the roster tired to do Kofi’s fake Jamaican entrance routine.  Cena just waved his hands a few times in a bad pantomime of Kofi then gave the camera a shrug and a “I dunno what the heck I’m supposed to do” look.

Also, as much as I appreciate Corbin giving me another reason to root against Duke, my brother and wife went to UNC so I don’t need the help.

Corbin looks like one of those guys who is way too old to still be hanging around his old college in that picture.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I forgot Corbin was once roommates with Pat McAfee when they played for the Colts. 

I didn’t know Corbin briefly played pro football until just now.  You’d think the company would at least mention that (they may well have, but I either missed it or was tuned out if they did).  Where’s Jim Ross when you need him.

His Wikipedia entry makes his background sound fairly interesting.

Edited by Doc Townsend

4 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I didn’t know Corbin briefly played pro football until just now.  You’d think the company would at least mention that (thy May well have, but I either missed it or was tuned out if they did).  Where’s Jim Ross when you need him.

They mentioned that shit all the time when he was in NXT. 

In fact, he had a gimmick where, as a legit athlete, he was tired of all the indy geeks,  and he was going to send them all back to RoH, whether they'd actually wrestled there or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

They mentioned that shit all the time when he was in NXT. 

In fact, he had a gimmick where, as a legit athlete, he was tired of all the indy geeks,  and he was going to send them all back to RoH, whether they'd actually wrestled there or not. 

I watched NXT off and on while Corbin was there.  Apparently I wasn’t paying much attention.  

The internet tells me Corbin’s history with McAfee was referenced their feud.  I must not have been paying attention then either.  I do other stuff while wrestling is on and have gotten good at tuning out the background noise to focus on emails or Amazon or whatever.

Edited by Doc Townsend

59 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Also, why does a former NFL player need their name changed?  Because its The same company that changes the names of 2nd/3rd generation wrestlers. 

Pestock seems like a name that would get changed because they noticed the first syllable was Pee. But this being wrestling, he didn't actually play in any NFL games.

Although if we're doing a variant on his last name, Pestock pretty much rhymes with Peacock, so Corbin could claim that the Peacock steaming service is paying him to use the name Peacock unless that makes Peacock into heels until someone inevitably says that BC Peacock is using the name Peacock without their permission.

Someone doing a Dukie gimmick because "i'm taking online classes from Duke now" would be even more fun since he's a heel at a heel university and he's also not a real Dukie.

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Pestock seems like a name that would get changed because they noticed the first syllable was Pee. But this being wrestling, he didn't actually play in any NFL games.

Although if we're doing a variant on his last name, Pestock pretty much rhymes with Peacock, so Corbin could claim that the Peacock steaming service is paying him to use the name Peacock unless that makes Peacock into heels until someone inevitably says that BC Peacock is using the name Peacock without their permission.

Someone doing a Dukie gimmick because "i'm taking online classes from Duke now" would be even more fun since he's a heel at a heel university and he's also not a real Dukie.

Send him out to do promos in a Duke basketball jersey about how Duke produces the smartest athletes with the best critical thinking skills. Exhibit A: Kyrie Irving. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"I admire Duke so much that I request that you refer to me as Baron "Coach K" Corbin"

"But Corbin doesn't start with a K"

"Who said it had to"

Anyways, it's been long enough, they could have a tag team called the Blue Bloods who are just dudes from pretentious colleges.

"Coming down the aisle, from THE Ohio State University--"

*massive boos rain down as a new era of pro wrestling in the mainstream begins*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

I didn’t know Corbin briefly played pro football until just now.  You’d think the company would at least mention that (they may well have, but I either missed it or was tuned out if they did).  Where’s Jim Ross when you need him.

He never made it past practice roster in the NFL, so using old school logic he was a "failure" in his first choice of sports and now is doing pretty well in his backup plan. Again, by old school logic that makes wrestling look bad.

old school logic involved saying that guys who never made it off of practice squads were former NFL players, like Vader with the Rams, Neidhart with the Raiders, and so on, without acknowledging the truth about how little they really played. It was easier to go that route back in the old days when wrestlers pay was more or closer to NFL pay than these days, when it isn't.

• Like 2