DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

9 hours ago, Infinit said:

Very cool find

So they thought that they need to add the surnames of the Bushwhackers but only write "Hebner"? I assume they meant Dave as I don't see any other refs (and at the same time Strongbow, Lanza, Garea etc. are listed) but still.

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I was convinced it was Ali standing up and Inoki on his back kicking up! 

wrestling warps one’s brain!!!

I would not expect anyone to readily recognize the Jack Dempsey getting knocked out of the ring by THE WILD BULL OF THE PAMPAS(!) Luis Firpo painting. That would be unless they were either (1) familiar with Bert Sugar back when he was alive and some of the national boxing writers who were old enough to remember that story or (2) know that Pampero Firpo's name was inspired by Luis Firpo.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would not expect anyone to readily recognize the Jack Dempsey getting knocked out of the ring by THE WILD BULL OF THE PAMPAS(!) Luis Firpo painting. That would be unless they were either (1) familiar with Bert Sugar back when he was alive and some of the national boxing writers who were old enough to remember that story or (2) know that Pampero Firpo's name was inspired by Luis Firpo.

This painting was in a history book I had in  I believe elementary school, but I’ve never forgotten it and always loved it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am a huge mark for Jack Dempsey (I read his autobiography when I was 7), and the Bellows painting is one of my favorites, so this was in my wheelhouse.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Didn't Shawn Michaels shoot that down, saying Ivy Nile was the only member of the roster doing a few indie dates? Or maybe WWE wants to announce it on their own eventually and he's doing damage control or something. I dunno.

Correct, Shawn addressed it on the NXT post show press last night, saying it was a one-off for Ivy at Reality of Wrestling and he was unaware of any other bookings.

Though ROW had put out a statement with the Ivy announcement saying "We are proud to announce that we'll be working with NXT to bring our fans incredible match ups they can't see anywhere else"

Meltzer claims it is a one time deal "for now" but they have talked with other indies and are taking a wait and see approach with this one before moving forward.

Wouldn't be so wild, since they did something similar with EVOLVE in the past. Just going to a couple shows in MA I got to see Adam Cole defend the NXT NA belt against then-unsigned WALTER and the now disgraced Velveteen Dream wrestle Orange Cassidy. 

It was wild seeing NXT talent on the couple Queens Evolve shows I went to.  But it also led to WWE buying them outright and eventually they quietly closed up shop.  And Ivy doing RoW makes sense since that's Booker's deal and makes sense since he's on NXT commentary.

I would be thrilled if they did allow talent to do indies that don't have those type of WWE connections.  But while it might be easier to make it happen with HHH heading creative I just have a hard time believing it will play out that way.

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Has this been addressed here? Seems like the there really is real life heat between Rock and HBK lol

The short version, from what I remember, is Shawn was a real dick to him when he was coming up and was also (here's where my memory is foggy) rude to his grandmother dating back to some territory stuff? It's also why (to my knowledge) they've never worked together. I think it may have been floated at some point during Shawn's second run as a Wrestlemania dream match but by that time, The Rock had enough clout to just flatly say no. I can't imagine the Screwjob helped anything either, as Dwayne always has nice things to say about Bret, and unlike Bret, you've never heard anything about him letting bygones be bygones.

But lol at the amazing pettiness from The Rock, 30 years on. Can't say Shawn didn't earn it.

Edited by The Idiot King
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

Has this been addressed here? Seems like the there really is real life heat between Rock and HBK lol

I don't watch Young Rock, but I feel like I read somewhere that Johnson wanted to replace Michaels because the replacement character is a dick to Young Rock, and he wasn't trying to get heat on Shawn Michaels by naming him. 

Can't find it, but I saw this pop up somewhere and maybe someone was quoted directly or indirectly? I mean, if Rock really wanted to get at Michaels, he would have just cast a direct Shawn Michaels expy and named him Shawn Michaels.

2 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

The short version, from what I remember, is Shawn was a real dick to him when he was coming up and was also (here's where my memory is foggy) rude to his grandmother dating back to some territory stuff? It's also why (to my knowledge) they've never worked together. I think it may have been floated at some point during Shawn's second run as a Wrestlemania dream match but by that time, The Rock had enough clout to just flatly say no. I can't imagine the Screwjob helped anything either, as Dwayne always has nice things to say about Bret, and unlike Bret, you've never heard anything about him letting bygones be bygones.

But lol at the amazing pettiness from The Rock, 30 years on. Can't say Shawn didn't earn it.

Wasn't Triple H also the same? Bret Hart shared that story about Triple H about harassing The Rock for using a dropkick off the top rope because it was "his" move, a move that Triple H never really did.

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I don't watch Young Rock, but I feel like I read somewhere that Johnson wanted to replace Michaels because the replacement character is a dick to Young Rock, and he wasn't trying to get heat on Shawn Michaels by naming him. 

Can't find it, but I saw this pop up somewhere and maybe someone was quoted directly or indirectly? I mean, if Rock really wanted to get at Michaels, he would have just cast a direct Shawn Michaels expy and named him Shawn Michaels.

I don't doubt Shawn was a prick to him but it seems like they are okay with each other now but that's usually the case when your career is up much like Austin is with Hogan today. Austin has had Hogan on his Podcast and he speaks highly of him as he he never turned down any chances to work against him. Like we all hear about the professional competitiveness between Hunter and Rock but once Rock left for Hollywood those two seem as if they were always as close as anyone could be to Hunter without being a Kliq member 

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Hey guys....sorry I wasn't clear with my question. I'm aware of the Rock/Kliq heat but I wanted to know if someone had brought up the HBK replacement on Young Rock yet.

Apparently not from the looks of it.

If the Kliq was gonna try to cut him (Rocky) off at the knees, it was probably going to be super tough. Maybe the injury was a blessing so they moved on someone else to bully, but I doubt they would have had any effect on his career.

19 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I thought the story was Shawn and triple h were bad mouthing rock to management when he first came in. 

I remember Bret saying much the same in his book and how the two were on the booking committee and came in to tell Bret he'd beat Rock clean with the Sharpshooter (I can't remember if it was for the IC title or not) and Bret thought it was pointless because he didnt need the win and it would hurt Rock (also, Bret was probably also opposed to it because it stuck it to HHH and HBK a bit!) so he went and got the ending changed to Bret getting DQed for doing the figure four around the post on Rock and how Rock thanked him and Bret warned him to watch his back.

I don't watch Young Rock, do they put current WWE wrestlers/characters on the show? Maybe since Shawn is still very much a part of WWE they have an understanding with WWE not to portay current characters/wresters?!

10 minutes ago, caley said:

I remember Bret saying much the same in his book and how the two were on the booking committee and came in to tell Bret he'd beat Rock clean with the Sharpshooter (I can't remember if it was for the IC title or not) and Bret thought it was pointless because he didnt need the win and it would hurt Rock (also, Bret was probably also opposed to it because it stuck it to HHH and HBK a bit!) so he went and got the ending changed to Bret getting DQed for doing the figure four around the post on Rock and how Rock thanked him and Bret warned him to watch his back.

I don't watch Young Rock, do they put current WWE wrestlers/characters on the show? Maybe since Shawn is still very much a part of WWE they have an understanding with WWE not to portay current characters/wresters?!

It was and it was the Raw after Mania 13. It makes sense for the DQ since Bret was turning heel or essentially already heel anyway. He didn't need the IC belt.

There's a lot of revisionist history in the show (mostly around Rocky Johnson's departure from the WWF being linked to him taking a booking in Saudi Arabia for a rival promoter, rather than y'know, the allegations of raping an underage girl).

I thought the stuff that was being referred to re: Shawn in this instance were more around how vocal he was around the WM main event in 2000 and how Rock shouldn't be in it, but they also refer it back to around the time of the Summerslam 98 ladder match, so it's probably a bunch of stuff blended in, factually or otherwise.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon

I could probably spend the rest of my life watching the Puro Archive on archive.org and be completely contented. Like a man of good taste I have been watching a lot of prime HUSTLE.

Most HUSTLE Rangers vs. Bad Guys matches are pretty good but I'm watching the one from HUSTLE House 10 (these have been very fun) and everybody's trying to hit every classic llave and botching half of them. You know who isn't screwing anything up? HUSTLE Ranger Yellow. Mango/Bear/Takayasu Fukuda. I've front-to-backed like five HUSTLE shows and right now I'm gonna go ahead and call him goddamned foundation of the company. What a great role player who peaked at the worst possible time.

Whoa, the next match is Aja Kong / Awesome Kong vs. Ayako Hamada / Saki Maemura Mascaras vs. Cabelleras . HUSTLE holds up like you wouldn't believe in 2023.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, caley said:

Yeah, that's it. Also, Bret said that HBK/HHH were always griping about Rock not selling correctly.