DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber XIII - 2/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

For those saying they had to give Sami the title. What's the story moving forward with Sami as champion?

Maybe Owens turns on him? A match with Jey? Heel Cody?

They're not awful options but there's still more to be done with the Bloodline storyline which has better options. 

Lesson hopefully learned from how much Bryan getting the title had zero story afterwards. He was always going to feud aimlessly with Kane.

26 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

For those saying they had to give Sami the title. What's the story moving forward with Sami as champion?

Maybe Owens turns on him? A match with Jey? Heel Cody?

They're not awful options but there's still more to be done with the Bloodline storyline which has better options. 

Lesson hopefully learned from how much Bryan getting the title had zero story afterwards. He was always going to feud aimlessly with Kane.

I would have gone with Sami vs Cody at Mania.

Spoiler

Edited by L_W_P

Spoiler

Cody congratulating Sami but talking about how he's destined to win the title now. That being #30 was a sign that it's meant to be. Really dismissive, patronizing, "I'm the face so everyone love me" type stuff.

Then Cody slips on a banana peel at Mania and Sami retains. Maybe a Figure 4 roll up or something.

Rematch at Backlash and Sami wins again, this time with Cody's foot on the ropes or something.

Cody then takes a step back and we get the KO match being built up for SummerSlam. KO can say that Sami stopped Roman at the Rumble but that doesn't make put them on the same team and that doesn't mean that KO is gonna just lay down.

Hard fought match and Sami wins.

Post SummerSlam we do the KOTR. Jey Uso wins it, beating Cody in the Finals. Now we get main event Jey 2.0 vs Sami Zayn late in the year.

You could certainly crown Jey here but let's ride Sami for the 'best year of his life' and he retains.

Give him 1 more defence vs say... Balor/Rollins/Theory at the Rumble and then build to Mania.

Cody wins the Rumble again. This time from number #4 (a number nobody has ever won from) and THIS time he's super face Cody, talking about how last year he thought the story would just unfold for him. That, like when he first came to WWE, he assumed that being the son of Dusty Rhodes meant greatness was a given.

But now he's realized that everything he's ever achieved in his life, all the accolades he can list all the titles he can name, all the companies he's put on the map... All that was because of hard work.

Because if Dusty taught him anything it's that there's no shame in being the son of the son of a plumber.

Mania 40 - Sami Zayn vs Cody Rhodes 3 in the main event. Make it 2/3 falls with Cody saying "there will be no slip ups this time".

And boom, you get Cody rebuilt in a much more relatable way, you get a year of Sami not knowing 'when the rollercoaster is gonna stop', you get a logical return of Main Event Jey and you have a year of fresh work in the main event scene.

• Like 2

Don't know what happened there but can't seem to fix it on my phone...

Anyway I think you could have had a Sami v Cody title match that would mean just as much as (if not more than) Cody vs Roman.

I have next to no interest in seeing Cody end this run. He absolutely does not need it.

Edited by L_W_P

32 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Realistically? There are numerous guys he could defend against that would make for a fresh matches and feuds at this point that Sami either hasn't faced or faced in years on his own, let alone as a face. Its pretty much the same with Cody.

I see this talking point occasionally and it never really makes much sense. What story are you exactly looking for? WWE telling bad stories with Kofi and Bryan's reigns had little to do with nothing there to tell as a story and more to do with WWE just doing a bad job. 

Honestly, regardless of which guy wins it feels like either should be losing the belt to Gunther come Summerslam or Survivor Series this year anyways. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Johnny Knoxville gets a WWE title match so Sami can get his win back

We laugh but Sami vs Logan Paul, or even Sami/KO vs the Paul Bros, would be a huge deal.

Casual friends of mine LOVE Logan Paul in WWE. He's getting people to check things out.

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Realistically? There are numerous guys he could defend against that would make for a fresh matches and feuds at this point that Sami either hasn't faced or faced in years on his own, let alone as a face. Its pretty much the same with Cody.

I see this talking point occasionally and it never really makes much sense. What story are you exactly looking for? WWE telling bad stories with Kofi and Bryan's reigns had little to do with nothing there to tell as a story and more to do with WWE just doing a bad job. 

Honestly, regardless of which guy wins it feels like either should be losing the belt to Gunther come Summerslam or Survivor Series this year anyways. 

I guess two points to it - 

1) there are guys' stories where the money is exclusively in the chase. Foley, Bryan and Zayn are all in that category.

2) WWE have not been in the market for years of building to a particular match as a UFC or WBF would and framing a story around it. They have, probably since the Monday Night Wars written stories for TV and worked the matches around it. 

Plenty of great matches for Zayn to have, but as far as anything for a storyline where he is now the centre of the narrative for months at a time, nay years, as the Bloodline has been able to do, I'm not sure (although I really like LWPs effort).

Keep the Reigns train a rolling

3 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I guess two points to it - 

1) there are guys' stories where the money is exclusively in the chase. Foley, Bryan and Zayn are all in that category.

2) WWE have not been in the market for years of building to a particular match as a UFC or WBF would and framing a story around it. They have, probably since the Monday Night Wars written stories for TV and worked the matches around it. 

Plenty of great matches for Zayn to have, but as far as anything for a storyline where he is now the centre of the narrative for months at a time, nay years, as the Bloodline has been able to do, I'm not sure (although I really like LWPs effort).

Keep the Reigns train a rolling

I guess my point is I don't really see Cody or anyone else being better off right now in that respect. We aren't getting another Bloodline level story for years, potentially decades, if ever again. Roman is great, but it feels like we are at the end with there not being much they can really do to extend his reign while keeping things interesting.

This was ass. You can pretty much stick a fork in Judgement Day. Mens Chamber was a dogshit taco. I continue to be stumped by what wwe sees in Austin Theory. My Theory; this guy sucks ass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reigns really has been built up strong enough that dropping the title to Zayn in a fluke loss and quickly getting it back either on Raw or SD wouldn’t have hurt his eventual decisive loss, and would’ve helped Zayn the most given the circs. The elevation he’d have gotten even with a fluke is better than any possible outcome they have going forward. As it is now, there is no possible way to recapture the heat/moment that he had leading into EC. 

It’s one thing for fans to care/notice title streaks etc, but for promotions to base their booking around it is the height of stupidity. If the number is all that counts, why bother with the decisive victory for him in the end after giving his opponent a visible victory/excuse for losing. If you want him to be super dominant in addition to the number of days, why bother with the visible victory/excuse for the loser? That sort of inconsistency leads to unsatisfying finishes like this.  Even if you absolutely had to keep the title in Reigns at this show, a count out victory for Sami (say via Helluva Kicking Reigns out of the ring and Reigns not beating the 10 count back) would’ve popped the crowd way bigger and sent them home happier than what they did after the pinfall and kept everybody as strong going out as they came in.

Taking an even wider view, a Reigns loss leading to a rematch this week would’ve likely finally helped make the most of the Fox deal/platform. So few people are presented on the weekly shows as big stars. While not Montreal, a quick rematch this week would still likely have a fair amount of heat to it. Sami being presented as champion in that environment on that platform would’ve done more for him than anything they can do now. Just another in the long line of missed opportunities by this company over the years.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I'm gonna go with the canon that the WWE referees notice how much the crowd is into the match and they're not inclined to end the match on a cheap DQ because they think that would disappoint the crowd. Sorta like how officials in other sports can almost get worked by the crowd or atmosphere. That they're gonna give Sami the chance to pin or get pinned.

Anyways... I still want a bullshit Brock Lesnar vs Bray Wyatt feud where Brock is Sid destroying the Barbershop over and over and Bray is trying to tell us that Brock Lesnar can't destroy his way out of this mess. A feud that is basically the world's dumbest repetitive roleplaying game.

They could have Brock Lesnar do the 2nd Firefly Funhouse match where it becomes performance art and Lesnar sees his younger self then Lesnar realizes what he's become and breaks down and cries.

Then again, that's a really terrible idea.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

They could have Brock Lesnar do the 2nd Firefly Funhouse match where it becomes performance art and Lesnar sees his younger self then Lesnar realizes what he's become and breaks down and cries.

Then again, that's a really terrible idea.

I love Wyatt and think this is a phenomenal idea lol

Brock having to take his younger self to Suplex City would be hilarious 

Edited by StuntmanCrowley

Sami beats Reigns tonight. 

In a couple of weeks, Roman invokes his rematch clause. Jey turns on Sami. Roman gets his belt back, they chair Sami to death the way they did Kevin Owens. 

Bloodline reign of terror leading up to Mania. 

Sami and Kevin beat the Usos for the belts on Night 1. 

Cody wins on Night 2. (Or not.)

Bloodline completely falls apart over the summer. 

Jey vs Roman at Summerslam. Jey wins. 

Roman takes a vacay. Comes back for a face run. 

Or, they could've just had Jey turn on Sami tonight. 

Regardless, seeing Sami and Roman not even have to lock up for the first three or so minutes because the crowd was going that nuts was a goddamn marvel to behold. Though the ending was disappointing, that match ROCKED up until the overbooking kicked in. 

31 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I love Wyatt and think this is a phenomenal idea lol

Brock having to take his younger self to Suplex City would be hilarious 

He also has to relive the crowd booing him and Goldberg out of the building at WrestleMania with Bray Wyatt as Goldberg, The Next Big Thing Brock with Bray as Paul Heyman, Brock leaving the WWE to try for the NFL then going to UFC with Bray as "David Whote" (can't say Dana White or mention UFC) promising him the moon then Vince McMahon puppet also doing the same, Brock beating the Streak at WrestleMania and Bray Wyatt Undertaker saying how that was a meaningless move anyway (complete with Shocked Face Fan on screen), then Brock giving F5's to everyone (Vince McMahon puppet, Bray Wyatt Goldberg, Bray Wyatt Heyman, Bray Wyatt David Whote, Bray Wyatt Undertaker, Bray Wyatt Michael Cole) and finally to...himself. Brock Lesnar breaks down and cries before doing the F5 on his younger self.

Brock after doing this, lays in the same spot as John Cena did before disappearing.

Like I said, very stupid idea but the WWE is out of ideas so it's good enough I guess.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 2

I thought that KO/Zayn taking the tag titles at WM would be a perfect ending for Sami’s story….until last night.

After last night i now think it doesn’t make that much sense and definitely feels like a consolation prize. I also realise that Sami winning the world titles isn’t going to do the business Cody would as champion (unless you run every show for the next year in Canada) but I just don’t think Cody winning the title in tribute to Dusty is the right end to Romans story. 

Cody (in kayfabe terms) doesn’t deserve it. 

EDIT; as far as the match itself went- those fuckers had me, I was convinced Sami was winning. Roman gave Sami everything and make him look like a star. The actual ending was a tad overbooked and drawn out but those near falls were something else. 
KO got to be Steve Austin in front of his people and it was awesome. 

Did Roman just get up and walk out after the last Helluva kick? I definitely think Roman would have wanted to drop the belts to Sami.

Edited by peterien
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

Regardless, seeing Sami and Roman not even have to lock up for the first three or so minutes because the crowd was going that nuts was a goddamn marvel to behold. Though the ending was disappointing, that match ROCKED up until the overbooking kicked in. 

This sentiment right here is why im let down by the end.  It didn't need all of that.  

27 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

He also has to relive the crowd booing him and Goldberg out of the building at WrestleMania with Bray Wyatt as Goldberg, The Next Big Thing Brock with Bray as Paul Heyman, Brock leaving the WWE to try for the NFL then going to UFC with Bray as "David Whote" (can't say Dana White or mention UFC) promising him the moon then Vince McMahon puppet also doing the same, Brock beating the Streak at WrestleMania and Bray Wyatt Undertaker saying how that was a meaningless move anyway (complete with Shocked Face Fan on screen), then Brock giving F5's to everyone (Vince McMahon puppet, Bray Wyatt Goldberg, Bray Wyatt Heyman, Bray Wyatt David Whote, Bray Wyatt Undertaker, Bray Wyatt Michael Cole) and finally to...himself. Brock Lesnar breaks down and cries before doing the F5 on his younger self.

Brock after doing this, lays in the same spot as John Cena did before disappearing.

Like I said, very stupid idea but the WWE is out of ideas so it's good enough I guess.

Well. I want to see this now.

• Haha 1

I'm a little disappointed at some people's lack of imagination on how a Sami run would successfully work.

Basically, exactly like Austin's 98 run where he's not supposed to be champ and the universe is conspiring against him. It's about Sami having to find a way to overcome Gunther, Brock, Lashley. It's about Sami and the fans having pulled one over on fate and this cinderella story happening and him working hard and dreaming and fighting to keep it alive when it's defying all the odds, the notion that the fans are lucky to be alive in this moment when this thing is happening which is a downright miracle and wondering just how long they can ride the miracle with Sami.

Of course, other than Austin in 98, it's something WWE is uniquely terrible at. But Sami is bigger than Rey so....

Now that's not saying I thought they'd do it or even that they should do it, but it's their own damn fault for booking themselves into a corner with "the greatest story ever told" or whatever, and then not having the foresight or courage or perspective to realize exactly what they got themselves into.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 10

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm a little disappointed at some people's lack of imagination on how a Sami run would successfully work.

Basically, exactly like Austin's 98 run where he's not supposed to be champ and the universe is conspiring against him. It's about Sami having to find a way to overcome Gunther, Brock, Lashley. It's about Sami and the fans having pulled one over on fate and this cinderella story happening and him working hard and dreaming and fighting to keep it alive when it's defying all the odds, the notion that the fans are lucky to be alive in this moment when this thing is happening which is a downright miracle and wondering just how long they can ride the miracle with Sami.

Of course, other than Austin in 98, it's something WWE is uniquely terrible at. But Sami is bigger than Rey so....

Now that's not saying I thought they'd do it or even that they should do it, but it's their own damn fault for booking themselves into a corner with "the greatest story ever told" or whatever, and then not having the foresight or courage or perspective to realize exactly what they got themselves into.

The problem is WWE (and let's say it - Vince McMahon) sees Sami Zayn only as a midcarder. This is despite the overwhelming reaction Sami Zayn gets everywhere due to the Bloodline storyline. And the amount of merchandise Sami Zayn has now generated. And all that of merch and reactions lead to money but WWE doesn't want it or think they can make more sticking to what they are doing.

It goes back to a basic problem WWE has - unless it's someone they've picked, the crowd would have to practically mutiny every week (like they did with Daniel Bryan) before they changed the storyline and given the fans what they wanted.

A miracle run for Sami as World champion would work, would shake things up, and would break up the stale formula.

• Like 4