DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber XIII - 2/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I thought Beth was more calling out Luna, being in Montreal and all.

And let's go with Ford already. 

Nah, it was a pretty clear copy of Bull's face paint. The lines mainly being on the left side of the face and stuff. Commentary even pointed it out too. Beth is a huuuuuge mark for Bull Nakano. I think it was the Evolution PPV where she did commentary, she was wearing an unofficial fan made shirt (that I immediately found on Redbubble and bought).

Her hair definitely gave me Luna vibes, though!

13 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Everything about this felt honest up until the finish.

Like why would Sami accidentally hitting Jey cause them to fight? You can just watch the tape back. Sami tried to hit Roman. Roman moved. Jey was there. Sorry buddy, the end. If that moment is the moment that detours Sami away from the title, then that makes this whole ending even worse. It's a contrived way of moving him away from the plot that they want to happen.

That's been a WWE trope for over 35 years, but I think it's up to the Audience to stop holding them to that creative standard especially for this angle were you have people saying this is the best angle ever. 

You even have Jey on his Instagram reposting memes about him being nominated for an Emmy so it is cheap for they to go to something we see alot in WWE angles. The talent themselves are aware of the standards they are held at in this angle so you'd expect them to come up with something more creative than that.

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

Kind of disappointed that Beth didn't bust out the Scorpion Crosslock since she had the Nakano face paint on.

Oh and Montez Ford is a goddamn star. It's time to start that ascension.

Man oh man would it have been crazy if Montez Ford won the US title. He and Bianca would go into WM as title holders. The problem though is....he doesn't have a move that defines him. He's borrowing the frog splash and the People's Elbow. He needs something that shows off his crazy athletic ability and cements him as a star.

Not to get too off topic but did Foley's title win in 99 even mean anything and/or is it even remembered that fondly? He basically gets the belt handed to him by Austin and by WM Austin is winning the belt and Foley is in a nothing program with a bullshit finish vs Big Show. Even in the 8th grade I was pretty meh on the way that played out.

• Like 1

there's no shortage of people who'll believe something despite all the concrete evidence to the contrary, why should Jey Uso be an exception for at least the next 6 weeks?

if the footage suggests one thing but his brother, and his father, and Heyman, and Roman Reigns all say that Sami betrayed him, then who knows.

Or just refuse to be subtle and have Roman say that Rikishi's health care is getting cut off if Jey doesn't play ball

Thought the Women's EC was good. Everyone got their moments in and were generally well used. Was weird seeing Carmella be the only full heel, but I dug how things played out with her.

Lashley/Lesnar was a match. Didn't really care much one way or the other. I can't really be bothered to give a fuck about Brock matches that follow his usual lazy formula. 

Balor/Rhea vs. Edge/Beth was mostly good. Dom was wonderful little shit throughout. 

Men's EC match was really good. Dug all the character and story bits with Theory, Gargano, and Seth. Priest Looked. Bronson looked like monster. Ford looked like a star. Hopefully WM is Theory/Ford for the US title.

Roman/Sami was a bit too overbooked towards the end for my tastes, but I loved so damn much of it with the crowd love for Sami and Roman being such a tremendous asshole to the crowd, Sami, and Sami's family. They did a good job building up some believable near falls. Didn't expect Sami to win here and I'm ok with it. The Owens save post match worked well enough and Sami got at least some cartharticism. As for whether or not this killed the crowd, I doubt it. The crowd wasn't anywhere near deflated as they were back in Cardiff at Clash and even that crow wasn't super pissed beyond heel heat. As into it as the audience was I think most knew Sami wasn't winning and maybe even shouldn't win here. WM is around the corner and Roman is 900+ days as champ. Losing here would have been moronic no matter how much the hometown crowd was behind their hero. That is the type of reign that needs to end at the biggest show. I do agree to an extent about the ending being disappointed if they plan to use it to transition to Sami/Owens vs. the Usos. Doesn't set up the hate properly and they have to know their audience wants Sami winning the titles at this point. I kind of resign myself to being disappointed with this stuff in wrestling in general as I have seen the wrong move made far too often be it in WWE, or elsewhere. That said I still have a somewhat wait and see approach to all of this due to how well its been generally executed the past year.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good show. Only weak match for me was Lashley/Lesnar which I had already expected. Curious to see where things go. I continually hope for the best even if I expect worse. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Not to get too off topic but did Foley's title win in 99 even mean anything and/or is it even remembered that fondly?

It was a huge moment (and it was also aired at the same time as the fingerpoke of doom) so people remember that way more than them changing the title 3 times in 3 weeks in January/February. Although the Rumble 99 match can be remembered for Beyond the Mat showing Mick's family watching him get his brains scrambled in person.

Pure Crash TV wasn't booked for great long term stories, but moments, because the main goal was to win the ratings every week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Not to get too off topic but did Foley's title win in 99 even mean anything and/or is it even remembered that fondly? He basically gets the belt handed to him by Austin and by WM Austin is winning the belt and Foley is in a nothing program with a bullshit finish vs Big Show. Even in the 8th grade I was pretty meh on the way that played out.

When Foley won the belt my pals and I lost our minds and paraded outside to whoop it up. Our neighbors understand.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Red King said:

If Cody wins the the two Roman belts, he is going to bring back the one Winged Eagle belt after. 

Then when Kenny Omega signs and wins the belt he’ll take one of those wings off and turn it into the One Winged Angel belt

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Red King said:

If Cody wins the the two Roman belts, he is going to bring back the one Winged Eagle belt after. 

Unbeknownst to anyone, Cody meant this. He really loves it. You heard it here first.

09_WWE-TITLE-RENDERS-6.jpg

• Haha 4

I thought both Elimination Chamber matches were really good. Of all the gimmick matches that WWE has forced upon us over the last decade, I think EC is one of the few that delivers most of the time. Course, I also love elimination matches which aren't done very often, which may help.

I didn't set myself up for disappointment by even considering Sami would win, as I knew he wouldn't, but I'm surprised they kept the Jey situation ambiguous one way or the other.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But I didn't expect them to put the title on Sami, nor in my opinion should they have. But for this to be successful they needed to effectively shift who Sami wants to fight. Coming into this the title was secondary to him wanting to fight Roman. So him not winning the title isn't the problem. The problem is not shifting that heat & personal issue onto someone else. The way it played out, it's more like Jey will have the personal issue with Sami (for Spearing him). It's kind of a backwards way to tell the story.

This was my issue with the main event as well. There's no way Sami was winning the belt here and it wasn't the right move IMO. This was similar to when Kofi won the belt in that it was a great payoff, but you could tell there was no followup planned. In this case, if Sami had won one or both titles, then where would he go? Him winning then dropping it back to Roman or one of his family would have kind of pointless. I agree with the above comment - the payoff to the match shouldn't have been Sami winning, but pulling the trigger on whose side Jey is on. We think he's going to side with his friend and wallop Roman from behind, but no, he decides blood is thicker than water and goes full heel and gives Sami a vicious beating to where Owens comes out to make the save (speaking of which, Owens' casual stroll down the aisle didn't have enough urgency to really fit in with the scenario). The next few weeks Jey talks about how he gave Sami a chance, treated him like a brother, but he was an ungrateful asshole and how dare he try and get Jey to betray his kinfolk? Then you've got a semi-main event tag match for one night of Mania.

As far as the rest of the show, I guess the Brock/Lashley non-finish was a way to keep Brock from jobbing and build to some gimmick match at Mania. Do they do Hell in a Cell there or just some general no DQ match?

The men's EC match didn't do much for me until Ford hit his big dive off the top of the chamber. He's looked like a million bucks for a while, but he really looked like a star here. I was actually thinking they were going to pull the trigger and give him the win here as the start of a singles push. The only downside to that is Dawkins doesn't have that high a singles' ceiling, but I think Ford could definitely be a main eventer at some point. Speaking of guys looking good, Jonah came off as a beast reven though he was the first eliminated by having to eat pretty much everyone's finisher. Normally the fuck finish would have bugged me but it didn't for some reason. Theory is a dullard but the finish set up Paul/Rollins at mania and maybe gives a chance for someone else to be elevated at Mania by winning the US belt.

Rest of the show was what it was. The women's EC match seemed really brief.

• Like 1

And I do think they needed to give people something, anything, if they weren't going with Sami winning. I was so ready for Ford to win the US title.

Ultimately, I'm fine with the way the main event played out. I think too many people let themselves get worked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

Only saw the main. It was good, if you ignore the refs that magically appeared IMMEDIATELY after the interference, so they never saw it and counted pins instead of calling for a DQ.

That was the other thing that bugged the shit out of me. Jimmy is superkicking the shit out of Sami in the ring, a ref is literally running to the ring as Jimmy is murdering Sami, and there's no DQ. Like, I understand why they're not going to call a DQ, but that's just fucking stupid. Have the ref take longer to get there or something.

• Like 2

I'm gonna go with the canon that the WWE referees notice how much the crowd is into the match and they're not inclined to end the match on a cheap DQ because they think that would disappoint the crowd. Sorta like how officials in other sports can almost get worked by the crowd or atmosphere. That they're gonna give Sami the chance to pin or get pinned.

Anyways... I still want a bullshit Brock Lesnar vs Bray Wyatt feud where Brock is Sid destroying the Barbershop over and over and Bray is trying to tell us that Brock Lesnar can't destroy his way out of this mess. A feud that is basically the world's dumbest repetitive roleplaying game.

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

isn't the entire Roman villain arc the biggest WWE story, even if a good portion of it happened during the Pandemic? so cumulating that story means no more Bloodline, doesn't it?

To me... it's Jey Uso's story.  He's the one.  Whether that's help Cody or beat Roman himself. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

The women's chamber was fun, solid. Even though Asuka was the only option, I was still invested and rooting for Raquel or Liv. The men's chamber was the opposite in that I had zero interest in anyone involved and couldn't stand half the field. Another fluke win for Theory.  Logan's involvement was the only thing I liked there.

Lashley/Lesnar was silly and seems to set up yet another match at WM, but I don't want any wyatt involvement. 

Main event was good, went exactly as expected pretty much all the way through, enjoyed it. Hope Roman/Cody delivers an epic.

• Like 1