DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber XIII - 2/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Well, the Rumble was quite the show... onto the next stop on the ROAD~

The Card:

FOR THE UNDISPUTED WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. Sami Zayn

ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TO THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Asuka vs. Liv Morgan vs. Nikki Cross vs. Raquel Rodriguez vs. Natalya vs. Carmella

ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH FOR THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Austin Theory (c) vs. Seth F. Rollins vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Bronson Reed vs. Damien Priest vs. Montez Ford

Edge/Beth Phoenix vs. The Judgment Day (Balor/Ripley)

Bobby Lashley vs. Brock Lesnar

Is this the most anticipated B PPV since Great Balls of Fire? 

Brock vs Joe itself was a dream match everyone wanted to see but the actual execution of the build up to the match exceeded  my expectations especially for a PPV thar isn't one of the big 4. Plus Joe was built up strong enough where I thought it was possible he'd beat Brock.

Sami vs Roman has a much longer build up going in. Plus of course this is his hometown.  Montreal are always hot crowds for WWE PPV and now the have the Top babyface at the moment as the hometown guy in the Main Event.

This feels like it's a big of a show as any of the other big 4 off this one match. Just like Joe vs Lesnar I could care less what else is announced.

• Like 1

Chamber matches should be fine though it feels weird that Reed is in after having done so little since returning. 

I assume we get a mixed tag with Edge and Beth vs. Rhea & Dom. Maybe Rey joins to turn it into a six person tag.  

Mostly curious to see where things go with the Bloodline.

Is it too much to ask to rip off No Way Out 2003 exactly? Since we're getting Sami vs Reigns here reportedly, let's get a Rock run in to allow the shocking hometown title win no one sees coming. Just like Brock / Eddie / Goldberg. Leads to a weird Sami vs Cody WM match and a non title Rock vs Roman match.

Since this ain't happening, crowd is going to be furious when Sami loses and gets shuffled to a tag title match at Mania.

• Like 1

So this the show where we get Roman Reigns vs. Sami Zayn for the WWE Undisputed WWE Championship in Zayn's hometown instead of WrestleMania XXXIX. The Bloodline story has been great, one of the best ever. I just hope the payoff doesn't drop the ball. Feels like this should be the WrestleMania XXXIX main event. So many possibilities? Reigns beats Cody Rhodes at Night 1 of WM but loses the belts to Zayn the next night? Triple Threat but shoehorn Rhodes in to a long story at such short notice? Still think it'll be Usos vs. Zayn/Kevin Owens. That a tad anticlimactic? So many questions.

I prefer the EC to be used for the world titles and determining number one contenders to them like it's normally used since been added to the Road to WrestleMania. That's happening here in the Women's Elimination Chamber match with the winner who has to be Asuka getting over her new gimmick facing WWE RAW Women's Champion, Bianca Belair at WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. 

I'd rather the WWE Intercontinental Championship was in the Elimination Chamber match than the WWE United States Championship. The WWE Intercontinental Championship has always meant more to me and it's on the best wrestler in the promotion, GUNTHER. I'd have gone with GUNTHER vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Ricochet vs. Shinsuke Nakamura if he's cleared vs. Kofi Kingston. Rey Mysterio's injured unfortunately.

Edited by The Natural

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd rather the WWE Intercontinental Championship was in the Elimination Chamber match than the WWE United States Championship.

I think both titles have been featured very prominent and equally as important to their respective brands. This current regime has made these titles seem more important than they've been in a while even though the US title has changed more times recently. Under the last regime, I doubt either of the secondary titles would be defended in an EC. It makes the US title seem like the big deal that has has been booked as lately. Both belts seem like the workrate titles of both shows 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I think both titles have been featured very prominent and equally as important to their respective brands. This current regime has made these titles seem more important than they've been in a while even though the US title has changed more times recently. Under the last regime, I doubt either of the secondary titles would be defended in an EC. It makes the US title seem like the big deal that has has been booked as lately. Both belts seem like the workrate titles of both shows 

Rebuilding the secondary titles is one of if not the best thing Triple H has done. I'd just prefer it to be the WWE Intercontinental Championship as that has more resonance to me than the US plus the best wrestler on the roster is holding it, GUNTHER.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd just prefer it to be the WWE Intercontinental Championship as that has more resonance to me than the US plus the best wrestler on the roster is holding it, GUNTHER.

Edited 7 hours ago by The Natural

I don't see how the story beats justify an IC EC rather than a US EC. Theory has been annoying lots of people for months and getting questionable wins by interference; GUNTHER has - with the possible exception of Sheamus - cleanly and fairly beaten a long line of challengers. EC makes perfect sense for the former as a multi-man cage match with a built-in way to stack the deck in Theory's favor.

(Also, didn't you say you were going to stop watching because of how it's more explicitly supporting Vince again?)

Edited by Iron Moose

22 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

I don't see how the story beats justify an IC EC rather than a US EC. Theory has been annoying lots of people for months and getting questionable wins by interference; GUNTHER has - with the possible exception of Sheamus - cleanly and fairly beaten a long line of challengers. EC makes perfect sense for the former as a multi-man cage match with a built-in way to stack the deck in Theory's favor.

(Also, didn't you say you were going to stop watching because of how it's more explicitly supporting Vince again?)

I just want more GUNTHER and big men battering another. GUNTHER is a different environment.

I said this elsewhere so you may have missed this:

I'm torn between watching WWF since the age of 5, it's my favourite promotion ever while wanting to support the wrestlers but Vince McMahon back is such a sickening turn of events coupled with the Blood Money events. It's conflicting feelings.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The thing is, GUNTHER has already rehabbed the IC title. The US belt has been positioned as the top belt on RAW since Reigns doesn't defend on TV. And having the US belt defended in the EC will help rehab that title.

Plus it gives Theory more rub before his big Mania match with Cena.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:28 AM, The Natural said:

Rebuilding the secondary titles is one of if not the best thing Triple H has done. I'd just prefer it to be the WWE Intercontinental Championship as that has more resonance to me than the US plus the best wrestler on the roster is holding it, GUNTHER.

Most of the time when they put the title on the line in those types of matches the Champ is usually dropping it. It would’ve been a cool way for Gunther to win the title but he just outlasted almost everyone at the Rumble its no need for him to run through some of the same people he eliminated from the Rumble. I think it makes him a much stronger champion defeating people one on one Rather than facing multiple guys even if he's going over all of them in the end

• Like 1

Few things regarding Roman Reigns vs. Sami Zayn:

It's in Montreal, Sami Zayn's hometown. That will make for an awesome crowd like John Cena going into CM Punk's hometown at Money in the Bank 2011 and Cena in enemy territory vs. Rob Van Dam at ECW One Night Stand 2006. I can see "Fuck you, Roman" chants.

Be great if Sami Zayn brings back Worlds Apart. Just a catchy theme song I've got to hear live twice.

I hope Sami Zayn doesn't fuck his shoulder up like he did making his entrance in his WWE main roster debut when announced by Bret Hart that Zayn was taking up John Cena's WWE United States Championship Challenge.

There will be big heat when Jey Uso turns on Sami Zayn. There will be a big cheer when Kevin Owens saves Zayn as Zayn saved him at the Royal Rumble.

Considering it's Roman Reigns, Sami Zayn and it's in Montreal, this should be a MOTYC.

Still wish this was the WWE WrestleMania XXXIX main event. Can't see them running it back there. Still looking forward to Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes though.

This Bloodline angle is one of the best stories in wrestling history.

• Like 1

As an adult, it's hard to "get caught up" in a storyline anymore, as you understand wrestling more than you did as a kid and with that understanding comes all sorts of things that inhibit your ability to suspend disbelief.

I'm rooting for Sami the way I used to root for wrestlers when i was a young lad.  I can't wait for Saturday.  This is the best storyline of all time in my opinion.

• Like 5

I am such a little kid in anticipation for Saturday. There have certainly been matches I have wanted to see to this degree — Shield/Wyatts. Punk/Cena, Kofimania, Bryan at WM, Bayley/Sasha, etc. 

But I do not remember the last time I wanted to see a story play out like this. There is still so much intrigue and questioning about where it is all headed. Or even if it is headed anywhere after Saturday. 

This is an almost universally beloved story. All of the major players have in many ways transcended the art of portraying a character in wrestling. Everyone has different motivations, and they do not have to be explained, all while it still boils down to the inherent nature of wrestling, where we are rooting for a hero to take down the villain. 

We have all talked about how great Sami and Jey and Roman and Heyman have been. But KO (maybe the best at portraying a character since his first appearance at NXT) and Jimmy and Solo have also been so great, too. 

It has been such a masterpiece of an angle. Maybe we see Sami win the big one. Maybe we see the bad guy win. But either way, this is such a high water mark and I do not know if we will ever see something as good as this ever again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I am such a little kid in anticipation for Saturday. There have certainly been matches I have wanted to see to this degree — Shield/Wyatts. Punk/Cena, Kofimania, Bryan at WM, Bayley/Sasha, etc. 

But I do not remember the last time I wanted to see a story play out like this. There is still so much intrigue and questioning about where it is all headed. Or even if it is headed anywhere after Saturday. 

This is an almost universally beloved story. All of the major players have in many ways transcended the art of portraying a character in wrestling. Everyone has different motivations, and they do not have to be explained, all while it still boils down to the inherent nature of wrestling, where we are rooting for a hero to take down the villain. 

We have all talked about how great Sami and Jey and Roman and Heyman have been. But KO (maybe the best at portraying a character since his first appearance at NXT) and Jimmy and Solo have also been so great, too. 

It has been such a masterpiece of an angle. Maybe we see Sami win the big one. Maybe we see the bad guy win. But either way, this is such a high water mark and I do not know if we will ever see something as good as this ever again.

You said it better than I could.  Everyone involved has knocked this out of the park.  

This might be the closest thing we get to Memphis old school heat when Roman beats Sami in front of a crowd just hanging on every second and movement.  

Trying to think has there been a recent situation where the guy or girl EVERYONE wants to win is not going to win in the biggest stage

I don't think there's a right answer for tonight necessarily, given their constraints and how they booked it. On they idea that they want to pay off Roman's reign with their new top marketable babyface in Cody, they should probably pull the bandaid off and just resolve themselves to make Owens/Sami vs Jey/Jimmy as special as possible. And it can be special.

I still think the better option is Sami/Jey vs Solo/Jimmy at Mania somehow, because that will screw with expectations and the medium term heart of the story is Sami and Jey (with the long term one being Sami and Kevin and the short term one being Sami and Roman), and it's important to not just do wrestling by numbers right now if they're not going to put Sami over. Taking Owens out pre-match, Jey turning and saving Sami post match tonight would be one of the few things that I think would let the fans accept a Sami loss.

But hey, they might just say "Screw it" and put Sami over and try to find a way to make Sami and Cody simultaneously.