DVDVR Message Board

The 57th Superb Owl

Dolfan in NYC

18 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

every pro athlete is basically Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, seeing disrespect EVERYWHERE and consumed with rising to it.

Sure sure, but the Georgia players somehow seemed to believe that they had been picked to go 7-5 or some such bullshit.

Eagles fan checking in. disappointed with the result but it was a good game to cap off an overachieving season.

was the holding call at the end bad? yeah. but that is hardly the reason the Eagles lost. it had a lot more to do with leaving receivers wide open multiple times, giving up an almost record length punt return, and not delivering on offense in the 2nd half.

• Like 3

Tonight's game swung on the Eagles kicking a field goal on 4th and 6 from the 15, and the Eagles punting on 4th and 3 from their 32, two calls that every or almost every NFL coach would have made. Eagles turned a 3 point lead into a 6 point lead, and then quickly gave up a go-ahead TD, then the punt was returned 65 yards and turned into another TD.

No NFL coach is prepared to make the decisions necessary to fully out-sprint the Chiefs offense. You'd need to be Mike Leach levels of aggressive to make a run at it. The Eagles converted 11 third down conversions and 2 fourth downs and that still wasn't enough in a game where Hurts outpassed Mahomes by 100+ yards.

Like if Hurts had thrown for 182 and got beat by Mahomes throwing for 304, then everybody would have been like "yeah, that makes sense" but it was the opposite. The best pass offense got outpassed and beat the best run offense (and also outran them)

The Chiefs should still tinker a bit over this offseason before any other AFC West team really emerges. I'm not really expecting 4 Super Bowls in 5 years. Add a receiver and let one go and embrace that the system might get your receivers paid as free agents?

What a great call by the ref there! We all know why we watch the Super Bowl! To see the ref make the game winning call!

Pure fucking garbage for the Chiefs to be the beneficiary of controversial last minute plays that essentially hand them the game AGAIN.

Let them fucking play. You can’t make that call. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AxB said:

This is the first time that the UK coverage (on the non-SKY Sports coverage, which bounces around networks like nobody's business) has sent an actual commentary team, rather than just using the American telly commentators.

Johnathon Pearce is very annoying. It's not Robot Wars.

I'm thankful that the 99p NFL GamePass Super Bowl offer spared me from 4 hours of JP.

18 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Boy, hiring Vic Fangio for 2 weeks to help with Defense *REALLY* worked out well.

I think I read he was hired to help the Eagles offense on how to score against the KC defense, not necessarily to help with the Eagles defense. So maybe he was moderately successful. Wonder what the pay was for two weeks of consulting.

The set of downs that swung the game

Third quarter, Eagles have the ball in the red zone (19 yard line). Get sacked on first down. Incomplete pass second down. 5 yards on third down. Kick a field goal on 4th and 6 from the 15.

That field goal turned a one score lead into a one score lead and it was the final result of a 7+ minute drive.

Chiefs take the lead with 12:08 left. Then the Eagles go three and out, the record punt return, and the Chiefs have an 8 point lead about 7 minutes after that field goal.

Meanwhile…

Could put this in the broadcasting thread but I'll put it here:

Terry Bradshaw is getting some heat for his comments to Andy Reid after the game. Bradshaw told Reid to "waddle over here" and "have a cheeseburger on me". Not cool. 

I'm pretty non plussed about the whole game as I was hoping the Eagles would win and watching leave Kelce or JSS wide open over and over again was infuriating. 

The halftime show sucked. Not remotely close to how good last year was, which was up there with the Prince show for me. I also don't like halftime shows when it's just one star and one star only going through the motions through their catalog, like with the Weeknd. This was marginally better for the Weeknd. I think my biggest takeaway was she looked gorgeous pregnant and props to her for doing some of that shit on high up platforms while pregnant.

• Like 1

What's with all of the "I'm an old who doesn't know who Rihanna is" her first album which sold a ton came out in 2005 and her next two released in 2006 and 2007 sold even more, and her albums after that sold tons. It's not like she's someone who popped up a few years ago. The halftime show was ok, I think her being pregnant, it being on FOX and next years most likely being insane since its in Las Vegas caused them to tone things down some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

What's with all of the "I'm an old who doesn't know who Rihanna is" her first album which sold a ton came out in 2005 and her next two released in 2006 and 2007 sold even more, and her albums after that sold tons. It's not like she's someone who popped up a few years ago. The halftime show was ok, I think her being pregnant, it being on FOX and next years most likely being insane since its in Las Vegas caused them to tone things down some.

Maybe @Doc Townsendis 81 years old, we have a wide variety of age groups here 😉

I love Rihanna (I'm 39 and very young and hip) so I enjoyed the show, although her being pregnant which wasn't known beforehand did throw me off a bit. Wonder if it would have been better to announce it beforehand so fans didn't spend too much time trying to determine if she was pregnant or just had on an unusual outfit that made her figure look different. That's personal information of course that people can tell whenever they are ready, but they had to know it would be a bit of a distraction for inquisitive minds.

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Could put this in the broadcasting thread but I'll put it here:

Terry Bradshaw is getting some heat for his comments to Andy Reid after the game. Bradshaw told Reid to "waddle over here" and "have a cheeseburger on me". Not cool. 

I caught that "waddle" comment live. I thought Reid would've been justified in telling Bradshaw to fuck off. I don't know why Terry's dumb ass is still even on tv.

Now, the cheeseburger thing is a little more innocent. Reid's thing is that he's like this cheeseburger connoisseur. There were a bunch of news stories about it leading up to the game.

Edited by Log

2 hours ago, Log said:

I caught that "waddle" comment live. I thought Reid would've been justified in telling Bradshaw to fuck off. I don't know why Terry's dumb ass is still even on tv.

Now, the cheeseburger thing is a little more innocent. Reid's thing is that he's like this cheeseburger connoisseur. There were a bunch of news stories about it leading up to the game.

The cheeseburger comment only works in that context if he doesn't insult Reid first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FINAL SUPERB OWL UPDATE~!

Flaco remains uncaught.  However!  He has learned how to successfully hunt on his own, and is living in relative peace in the trees of Central Park.  

Flaco is elite!  (I can't wait until he picks off someone's tiny dog.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1