DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/1/2023

The Natural

Loaded AEW Dynamite with Bryan Danielson vs. Timothy Thatcher in the match I'm most looking forward to, that'll bring the physicality. After that match, Darby Allin vs. Samoa Joe III feels like Allin's TNT Championship reign is ending with the storyline that the weekly defenses are doing a number on Darby. We also get Hangman Adam Page vs. Jon Moxley as well. Enjoy y'all!

I think a returning Wardlow with a fresh cut will help Darby retain his title. Darby having a "candle that burns twice as bright" title run is a good story, but there's a bunch of guys who would benefit more from the heat of picking his bones than Joe. Swerve would be at the top of my list.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think a returning Wardlow with a fresh cut will help Darby retain his title. Darby having a "candle that burns twice as bright" title run is a good story, but there's a bunch of guys who would benefit more from the heat of picking his bones than Joe. Swerve would be at the top of my list.

Wardlow saves Darby, Darby keeps TNT title, Wardlow/Joe resume for the ROH TV title.

Everyone wins.

• Like 4

I think Darby manages to juuuust sneak past Joe here and we get the return of Wardlow to MDK the champ afterwards.

When is Wardlow due back?

I could also see Darby sneaking a win and a new challenger appears. Swerve maybe?

Speaking of which; Where is Keith Lee? Are we getting Swerve vs Lee or not?

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 1

AEW is straight up doing weekly PPV quality cards now. Maybe I need to be grateful for Jeff Jarrett showing up! Weekly PPVs are kind of a Jarrett thing, right? Dragon vs Thatcher is a genuine DREAM MATCH. I am WAY more stoked for this than for  Bryan vs MJF. Mox vs Hangman III is FOR SURE a PPV level bout and will be STIFF AS FUCK. Joe vs Darby... Ditto, plus insanity. Jade vs Velvet has been building for a long time. Takeshita vs Cage should be ALL ACTION and also innovative, for people who like that kind of thing. And Acclaimed "in action" (hopefully against Workhorsemen or Outrunners)! I prefer Acclaimed in the ring to Acclaimed doing skits by a WIDE margin, personally. Oh boy am I excited for tomorrow morning (our time).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

I think Darby manages to juuuust sneak past Joe here and we get the return of Wardlow to MDK the champ afterwards.

When is Wardlow due back?

I could also see Darby sneaking a win and a new challenger appears. Swerve maybe?

Speaking of which; Where is Keith Lee? Are we getting Swerve vs Lee or not?

Keith Lee is presumably “injured” because of the cinderblock assisted stomp by Swerve. AEW does this a lot, where they’ll have a long angle then cool it down before it heats back up again. It’s mainly so we don’t see (so much of) the same people on weekly TV and they rotate the roster in and out.

• Like 8

I will be personally disappointed if Takeshita vs Cage isn't so monumentally stupid that it becomes wonderfully transcendent. They should do the Richards/Edwards superplex/suplex out of the ring spot, but using Cage's inside out apron suplex instead. Maybe just suplex each other all around the ring afterwards. Go for broke.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

After last week's attempt at wrestling, I look forward to Brian Cage having one of the better matches of his career and Takeshita ending up with one of his worst matches. Who knows, maybe Takeshita is game for "big dumb guy '80s WWF Powers of Pain" offense. 

Also, I hope MJF got lost on the way to the arena so he doesn't show up.

The Texas ice storm has me stuck in a hotel in Abilene instead of at my powerless home in Austin, where I was supposed to be by now, so I guess one plus is being able to watch Dynamite.

• Sad 4

things I remember from this episode of Dynamite:

I tuned in 15 minutes after 7 and saw the end of Moxley/Page.

The Acclaimed will face the Gunns as a heel turn is suspected

Saraya and Toni attacked someone in a segment involving The Bunny.

So we're doing two different gauntlet angles on the same show as Starks is still stuck on Jericho island.

Thatcher vs Danielson was an interesting time. MJF vs Takeshita and Danielson vs Rush next week

Jade's 50-0 and still holding the B title for AEW women

Joe tried killing Darby over and over. Quite a bit of blood on this episode of Dynamite. Darby took forfuckingever removing canvas passing. That spiked hoodie probably didn't need sleeves. I saw a version of this canvass removal thing in Metro Pro Wrestling years ago. Wardlow sure did recover from that rumored injury quickly, didn't he?

And we cut to Powerslap so we miss Wardlow powerbombing a security dude.

edit: oh yeah, Takeshita beat Brian Cage too

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

This match is fucking GREAT!  I give MOX's Crimson Mask a .4 Ruby. This is just GIGANTIC BUMP AFTER GIGANTIC BUMP!  They should just run this every week.  I'm waiting for a nurse so this could be a bit simplistic. GREAT NEARFALLS especially MOX kicking out of the Buckshot Lariat. HA! I missed the finish!  That was great!  Awesome!  It's those twirly dudes. Then the ASS BOYS!  It's KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!  It's BRIAN CAGE!  THIS is an 80s Power Match!  Takeshita is making Cage look like a killer. It is power move after power move. Take follows a BEAUTIFUL LARIAT with a MOTHERFUCKING EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX. (Talking to nurse while watching.)  Soooo THAT was a Five Star match because AmDrag/Cage got four stars and that was twice as good as the AmDrag match. (Nurse finishes checking my vitals. Annnd THEY'RE GOOD!)  This Thatcher match was great because it ALL starts with Thatcher trying to make it easier for MJF in the Ironman Match then it morphs into a Thatcher going for the Fujiwara Armbar and AmDrag trying to figure out away win.  You know, professional wrestling.  That was great!  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA stops MJF from wrecking AmDrag!  NEW MATCH FOR NEXT WEEK!  AWESOME! BRYAN DANIELSON VS RUSH NEXT WEEK! THAT should be very violent.  I imagine Jade Cargill crushes Red Velvet like a bug. Red does get in some stuff and lays it in so it's pretty good. Jade beats on Red during picture in picture so Red Velvet gets a second comeback?  Eh, a little one!  Kiera Hogan shows up!  RED VELVET with the VISUAL PIN!  That was waaaay better than what I thought it was going to be.  WILD!  And here we are, IT's our main event.   I assuming there will be some booking in this.  Darby is fucking AWESOME, killing himself hitting a Tope on Joe who is holding up a table.  Darby Allin continues to be Cactus Jack and I'm trying to figure out where Joe got busted open.  Joe goes total VADER.  JESUS,  Joe just throws Allin to the floor.  MUSCLE  BUSTER on the exposed ring!  NEW CHAMPION! Darby Allin is so fucking great.  Postmatch, WARDLOW beats on SECURITY! That was a LOT of pro wrestling!  AEW TRULY RULES THE MOTHERFUKCIN WORLD!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Blood before the first commercial break! THAT is how you start a big episode of prowrestling TV! YES!!! OUTRUNNERS!!! I ASKED FOR IT, I GOT IT!!! Takeshita to Cage: "I kneed you." Trios Title matches gonna be fun! BRYAN vs THATCHER! Oh baby! Starting out with a JOHNNY VALENTINE reference sets a pretty high bar! (Which they clear). TAKESOUP vs FRIEDMAN! Good heavens. No time to breathe. Is White Umaga's name "Trench"? Did I hear that correctly? Dragon vs Roosh?!?!?! Yowza. "That sounded a bit longer than 'we have a deal.' " 😄 Jade is Claudio-level STRONG. What an INSANE main event! WARDLOW! Dynamite today had enough action, and enough variety, for a PPV. GREAT  show!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Possible moves for names when we finally see some Trench warfare:

Big boot = Trenchfoot

Go to Sleep = All Quiet on the Western Front

can't use a move called the Gasmask without paying Pete Gas

Edited by Cobra Commander

Between Bryan/Thatcher and Gulak/Regal Jr. there was some damn good hard nosed stretchy wrestling this week.

Bryan/Rush next week is going to be the dog's bollocks.

That Joe/Darby match was teetering on the edge of prop-related botches between the trouble with the thumbtack hoodie and the stripping of the ring. When Darby countered that powerbomb I thought he had taken a page from Muta's book and done some white mist, but I guess he had a handfull of gold bond in his trousers.

• Like 2