DVDVR Message Board

POLL 1/21-1/27/2023- WHAT WAS THE SECOND BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE SECOND BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE SECOND BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Hangman Adam Page vs Wheeler Yuta- RAMPAGE
    • Cruz del Toro/ Joaquin Wilde vs Ludwig Kaiser/ Giovanni Vinci- SMACKDOWN
    • Jason Hotch/ John Slyler vs Kevin Knight/ KUSHIDA- IMPACT!
    • Skye Blue vs Zoey DuBois- AEW Elevation
    • Emi Sakura vs Brooke Havok-AEW Elevation
    • Ryan Nemeth/ Pretty Peter Avalon/ Serpentico vs Evil Uno/ John Silver/ Alex Reynolds- AEW Elevation
    • Ice Cold/ GI Jane/ The Disciplinarian vs Big Rig Betty/ Jessie Jones/ Holly Swag- WOW
    • Mr. Iguana/ Nino Hamburguesa vs SB KENTo/ Takuma- AAA
    • Gringo Loco/ Villano III Jr vs Dave The Clown/ Murder Clown= AAA
    • Bobby Lashley vs Austin Theory- RAW
    • Sonya Deville vs Bianca Belair- RAW
    • Montez Ford/ Seth Rollins/ Angelo Dawkins vs Giavonni Vinci/ GUNTHER/ Ludwig Kaiser- RAW
    • Jey Uso/ Jimmy Uso (Sami Zayn) vs Dominick Mysterio/ Damien Priest- RAW
    • Azazel vs Manu- IWA- Puerto Rico
    • Chuck Taylor/ Trent Barretta/ Danhausen vs Jay Lethal/ Satnam Singh/ Jeff Jarrett- RAMPAGE
    • Jamie Hayter vs Emi Sakura- RAMPAGE
    • Britt Baker vs Billie Starkz- AEW Dark
    • Brawn Stroman/ Ricochet vs Hit Row- SMACKDOWN
    • Action Andretti vs Bronson- AEW Dark
    • Anthony Henry vs Mascara Dorada- AEW Dark
    • Katana Chance/ Kayden Carter vs Alba Fyre/ Sol Ruca- NXT
    • Drew Gulak/ Hank Walker vs Brutus Creed/ Julius Creed- NXT
    • Indi Hartwell vs Tiffany Stratton- NXT
    • Action Andretti/ Ricky Starks vs Chris Jericho/ Sammy Guevara- DYNAMITE
    • Darby Allin vs Buddy Matthews- DYNAMITE
    • Hagane Shinno vs Wheeler Yuta- ROH
    • QT Marshal vs Eddie Kingston- ROH
    • Madison Rayne vs Athena- ROH
    • Toni Storm vs Ruby Soho- DYNAMITE
    • Juice Robinson vs Brandon Cutler- ROH
    • Yuka Sakazaki vs Sandra Moone- ROH
    • Christopher Daniels vs Claudio Castagnoli- ROH
    • Jack Perry/ Hook vs Matt Hardy/ Ethan Page- DYNAMITE
    • Kevin Owens vs Solo Sikoa- SMACKDOWN
    • CALLIHAN vs Rich Swann vs Eddie Edwards vs Rhino vs Moose vs Chris Sabin- IMPACT!
    • Mistico vs Stuka Jr- CMLL
    • Rocky Romero vs Volador Jr- CMLL
    • Dragon Rojo Jr/ Oraculo/ Templario vs Angel de Oro/ Niebla Roja/ El Barbaro Cavernario- CMLL
    • Blue Panther/ Panterita del Ring/ Valiente vs Los Infernales (Euforia/ Hechicero/ Mephisto)- CMLL
    • Rey Mysterio vs Karrion Kross- SMACKDOWN

Your winner this week is Mark Brisco vs Jay Lethal.  He just buried his brother and we all watched reactions to what a great father and human he was.  I'm not going to expose anyone to looking like a dillhole for not picking something that isn't actually in the realm of wrestling analysis and is pure emotion.  So yeah, Briscoe/ Lethal is your winner this week.

AND NOW!  WHO TO VOTE FOR!  I was all set to vote for the grimy and EXCELLENT Mistico vs Stuka Jr match.  It just edges out the slicker Rocky Romero vs Volador Jr match.  AAA had a few and a lot of IWRG just missed the cut.  IWA-PR has a good PR style non-street fight between Zazazel and Manu.  There wasn't any NWA or MLW this week.  There wasn't any CWFH and IMPACT! was kind of crappy this week. There wasn't anything good from Japan, just some All Japan Pro undercard stuff. WWE was very varied.  AEW had the best week in ring.  THE MATCH I'M FUCKING VOTING FOR IS MOTHERFUCKING JAMIE HAYTER vs EMI SAKURA. THAT WAS FUCKIN BALLS TO THE WALL!

CUT LIST: Reina Del Rey vs Sahara Spars- WOW;  IP  Dick Angelo 3G/ Legendario/ Puma de Oro vs Noisy Boy/ Spider Fly/ Tonalli- IWRG;  Black Fury/ Lolita vs Diosa Quetzal/ Hades- IWRG; Serpentico vs Tony Deppen- AEW Dark; Gigi Gianni vs Jennifer Flores- WOW;  Astral/ Hombre Bala Jr/ Volcano vs El Coyote/ Kraneo/ Okumura- CMLL; Genesis/ Exodus vs Razor/ Fury- WOW; Los Infernales (Euforia/ Hechicero/ Mephisto) vs OneAtos (Esfinge/ Fugaz/ Star Black)- CMLL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I was LITERALLY thinking, while watching Emi vs Hayter, that there was no way I could vote for anything other than the tribute match this week regardless of how good the Rampage main event turned out to be. 

At the risk of putting too fine a point on it: I appreciate your understanding that everyone feels the same way, and 100% support your choice to make this a vote for second place. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Gordlow said:

I was LITERALLY thinking, while watching Emi vs Hayter, that there was no way I could vote for anything other than the tribute match this week regardless of how good the Rampage main event turned out to be. 

I appreciate your understanding that everyone feels the same way, and 100% support your choice to make this a vote for second place. 

Well, I noticed that Meltzer gave 4 stars and I was like, "Did he not cry at that match?"  That's when I realized trying to analyze a match like that is a fools errand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Your winner this week is Mark Brisco vs Jay Lethal.  He just buried his brother and we all watched reactions to what a great father and human he was.  I'm not going to expose anyone to looking like a dillhole for not picking something that isn't actually in the realm of wrestling analysis and is pure emotion.  So yeah, Briscoe/ Lethal is your winner this week.

AND NOW!  WHO TO VOTE FOR!  I was all set to vote for the grimy and EXCELLENT Mistico vs Stuka Jr match.  It just edges out the slicker Rocky Romero vs Volador Jr match.  AAA had a few and a lot of IWRG just missed the cut.  IWA-PR has a good PR style non-street fight between Zazazel and Manu.  There wasn't any NWA or MLW this week.  There wasn't any CWFH and IMPACT! was kind of crappy this week. There wasn't anything good from Japan, just some All Japan Pro undercard stuff. WWE was very varied.  AEW had the best week in ring.  THE MATCH I'M FUCKING VOTING FOR IS MOTHERFUCKING JAMIE HAYTER vs EMI SAKURA. THAT WAS FUCKIN BALLS TO THE WALL!

CUT LIST: Reina Del Rey vs Sahara Spars- WOW;  IP  Dick Angelo 3G/ Legendario/ Puma de Oro vs Noisy Boy/ Spider Fly/ Tonalli- IWRG;  Black Fury/ Lolita vs Diosa Quetzal/ Hades- IWRG; Serpentico vs Tony Deppen- AEW Dark; Gigi Gianni vs Jennifer Flores- WOW;  Astral/ Hombre Bala Jr/ Volcano vs El Coyote/ Kraneo/ Okumura- CMLL; Genesis/ Exodus vs Razor/ Fury- WOW; Los Infernales (Euforia/ Hechicero/ Mephisto) vs OneAtos (Esfinge/ Fugaz/ Star Black)- CMLL

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

At the risk of putting too fine a point on it: I appreciate your understanding that everyone feels the same way, and 100% support your choice to make this a vote for second place. 

Yeah, the sad circumstances and emotions in Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal paying tribute to Jay Briscoe made that the one even over Jamie Hayter vs. Emi Sakura. Cheers for doing it this way and at the usual time knowing you're in hospital. Get well soon xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Well, I noticed that Meltzer gave 4 stars and I was like, "Did he not cry at that match?"  That's when I realized trying to analyze a match like that is a fools errand.

I feel uncomfortable with star ratings for tribute matches so I never do unlike Dave Meltzer did for this and Bret Hart's tribute bout to Owen Hart. Not necessary.

Best tribute match I've ever seen was Hangman Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 30th December 2020. That's the best wrestling tribute show ever.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Kudos for not making people feel weird choosing between a tribute match and something else. Mark/Lethal was a fine match. It was impressive seeing Lethal do as well as he did with how much he was clearly hurting. It was even more impressive seeing Mark Briscoe be the one to keep everything together and push Lethal on throughout.

Raw was mostly solid, but only the tag titles match really stood out. The injury angle and Sami replacement segment added some great drama to it.

NXT had a bunch of nice stuff but nothing standout sadly.

Darby/Mathews was good. Was nice seeing Buddy go back to the Juggernaut phase he had as cruiserweight champ in WWE. Toni/Ruby was hard hitting and solid but nothing special. 

Smackdown had some fun matches. Imperium/Legado probably would have been the best if not for some flubs, but they built into some nice stuff as it went on. Solo/KO was kind of perfect up until the ending which was still well done. Good match, still would have preferred a more conclusive ending.

Hangman/Yuta was the best I have seen either guy look so far. Loved Wheeler being such a house of fire while Hangman felt like a big main eventer annoyed with having to put up with such shit from a young gun. It felt like something out of early 90s AJPW. Didn't have a problem with the Avalanche DVB nearfall though I do think the match would have been better had they gone to the Buckshot/Death Rider finish right after. Would have been a great way to sell Hangman's annoyance at the kickout. Hayter/Emi was good stuff. Dug seeing Emi take so much control and force Hayter to fight her way back up. Was neat seeing Hayter more or less play face with this with the crowd completely behind her. Dug the back and forth chop battles as well. Emi really used this match well to showcase just what she is capable of. Hopefully it doesn't take Tony so long to give her a shot at tv again.

Right now is between Hangman/Yuta and Hayter/Emi for me. That said, I fully expect my vote to end up being for Volador/Rocky or Mistico/Stuka once I finally catch the lucha matches. Both sound good and probably will need the love anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

That said, I fully expect my vote to end up being for Volador/Rocky or Mistico/Stuka once I finally catch the lucha matches. Both sound good and probably will need the love anyways.

Stuka is so fucking expressive and intense.  He makes it look like such a fight.  I dig it more than Volador/Romero eventhough Volador is such a fucking HOSS in this.  It just goes on too long.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DEAN said:

He gave the same rating to Danielson/Cage which the two are absolutely nothing alike in terms of quality, so I think we don't need to take ol' Dave's ratings into consideration in this year of our lord 2023.

That being said, vote goes 100% to Hayter/Emi.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, porksweats said:

He gave the same rating to Danielson/Cage which the two are absolutely nothing alike in terms of quality, so I think we don't need to take ol' Dave's ratings into consideration in this year of our lord 2023.

That being said, vote goes 100% to Hayter/Emi.

I'm not coming down on Dave.  His system of clinically analyzing match quality doesn't gauge outside-of-wrestling components so he was giving a cold appraisal of the work.  It being a TV match isn't going to take it to five stars.  It's just that the significance of the match had little to do with ringwork- which WAS awesome- it was the fact that a man's brother died and another man's friend died and they wanted to pay tribute.  I'm sure Meltzer was affected but he has a system and had to put the match through the system, which I wouldn't have done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

I'm not coming down on Dave.  His system of clinically analyzing match quality doesn't gauge outside-of-wrestling components so he was giving a cold appraisal of the work.  It being a TV match isn't going to take it to five stars.  It's just that the significance of the match had little to do with ringwork- which WAS awesome- it was the fact that a man's brother died and another man's friend died and they wanted to pay tribute.  I'm sure Meltzer was affected but he has a system and had to put the match through the system, which I wouldn't have done.

Oh definitely DEAN, I'm just saying from a purely analytical view the two matches were not on equal footing in the slightest, but if Briscoe/Lethal was a 4, no way that Cage match was a 4, lucky to be a 3 even. But that's Dave's rankings and that doesn't translate well to the Sweats Scale

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait so is ROH up on Youtube or something now? 

I voted Ruby/Toni because of course everyone is gonna go Emi/Jamie and I gotta give it some love. 

The Jay Briscoe Tribute show was uploaded for free on Youtube.

Ah, so THOSE were the matches on the 3 hour show that weren't old stuff. I was wondering (didn't know there was a Jay tribute show, actually, as in that was an actual show unto itself. In retrospect I feel pretty stupid haha). 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DEAN said:

And Jamie Hayter is a wrestling revelation.

If you were watching Stardom or the European women's indies not that much. It was obvious she had star potential. She carried herself so damn well. 

• Like 1

To be totally honest, when I saw the thread title I assumed that the post was going to say that Jayme-Emi was such an obvious #1. I am glad that I didn't have to choose between that and the tribute match, which I thought was amazing on its own merits.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Emi tweeted highlights of her match with Hayter from Pro-Wrestling EVE, as a way of building this match. Jamie looked a lot different a few years ago.

https://twitter.com/EmiSakura_gtmv/status/1618761478588497921

No embed!

Hayter worked out a lot and got buff during the first year or so fo the pandemic before she joined AEW. 

Ruby/Toni and Jamie/Emi were the double second best TV match this week IMO, with me only picking Ruby/Toni because the underdog deserves a nod, but Honorable Mention for Best Men's Match is the Creed Brothers vs. Drew Gulak/Giant Seth Rogen. That was a really fun carny strongman x "innovative offense" match. Somebody needs to buy Giant Seth Rogen some gear because he looks like he's trying to work a pop country gimmick to fit in with the rest of the NXT 2.0ers. There was a keylock lift, a bunch of firemen's carries used as offense, and Gulak slapping dudes, it was great. Gulak is still the secret weapon in WWE. Also, Regal's kid is starting to creepily look like Butch; I'm wondering whether there was an adoption situation we don't know about, or maybe they're actually brothers in disguise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1