DVDVR Message Board

2023 AEW Media

Dolfan in NYC

On 4/25/2023 at 6:42 PM, DEAN said:

YEAH! DARK!  It's Harley Cameron!  It's Mafiosa!  Cameron looks pretty good for a gal with no cagematch.net profile.  Mafiosa has a very very odd offense. So strange. Harley with the Backstabber!  That was two gals not screwing anything up!  Blake Christian, who is the guy who puts over everyone spectacular in ROH,  takes on Big Shotty!  Hey, they are telling a little story.  Christian BUMPS BIG for Lee Johnson!  Johnson is good at pro wrestling,  He has good lowgrade heel offense.  Blake puts together a higher impact comeback!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB by Big Shotty!  Standing Spanish Fly by Christian!  They run into each a bunch until Christian hits a very fourth-rate Seth Rollins Stomp On The Head!  That match was a 100% WCW Main Event match.  It was like Chip Minton and Lash LaRue could actually wrestle.  Pillman and Anderson take on Ryan Nemeth and Cezar Bonino!  Pretty Peter Avalon CHEATS! in his Member's Only jacket.  GREAT camera work as Nemeth gyrates his groin region.  Anderson wins with a FLASH pinfall!  The highlight of the match was Arn clotheslining PPA!  Mei Suruga!  EMI!  IT's Ashley D'Ambroise, the budding new Skye Blue!  It's WOW all star Reka Tehaka!  EMI beats on both opponents at the same time!  Oh yeah, the TRANSFORMER!  EMI kills Tehaka with a diving Crossbody on the steps!  EMI MOONSAULT FOR THE WIN!  That was fun.  Zack Clayton takes on Jake Logan.  Okay, Logan is completely awesome taking an assbeating.  That was 45 times better than thought it would because I assumed that would not give a crap about that match, but Jake Logan made me give a crap!  CRAP GIVEN!  John Silver and Alex Reynolds take on Josh Woods and Tony Nese!  Woods does a weird thing in the ropes that looked like it sucked.  Sweet German Suplex by Woods!  Hungee is a whirling dervish of a hot tag which he caps off with a BRAINBUSTER!  Nese uses CHEATING Ari Daivari to get a nearfall on a Pump Handle K-Driller!  Evil Uno storms ringside and Reynolds and Silver hits their multi-step finisher!  That was good.  That was a fun little episode.

Finally watched this and it was awesome, full Worldwide point and then some. Mafiosa is Valentina Rossi who was a regular Dark/Elevation jobber. I googled this to confirm and then went to her Twitter because she had some...interesting photos...and apparently her and Harley have wrestled a few times this year for other promotions. I agree with basically everything Dean said especially the part about Jake Logan making that match watchable.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Mafiosa is Valentina Rossi who was a regular Dark/Elevation jobber.

Yup, she's been a favorite of mine (and the internet) for a long time. She's been using Mafiosa for a while now as I believe they had her change her name due to Kayla Rossi receiving a name and wrestling for a short time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It's been replaced by ROH TV.

While I'm pretty certain that Elevation is over, I think the lack of Dark was a scheduling blip. They'll film 4 ROH shows this weekend and probably tape Dark tonight.

All indications are that Khan really liked the studio taping experience for ROH last time and he's obviously going back to it this weekend. They'll have an extra hour at every Dynamite and the Saturday show. I assume at least one webshow is coming back.

We'll see tonight (or if not tonight, this weekend and next Weds) at least.

• Like 3

I used the opportunity to watch the 22 minute, 4-match Dark from a couple of weeks back.

Maki Itoh does nothing for me. I get that it's basically a comedy gimmick (at least in the US) but she makes me roll my eyes. Dean said Ashley D'Amboise is the new woman getting the very long, slow Skye Blue build, and I've enjoyed her work thus far. She did a good job within the confines of the match.

Menard getting up from the desk to wrestle his match was funny somehow, although I kind of wish they had found a way to keep him on the headset commentating while he was on the apron. For a minute, I was wanting to see some big guy wrasslin' from Hager and Clayton but they also both kinda stink so maybe I'm glad it didn't really happen. Very much a match that happened to promote the match against the Acclaimed.

Party Hardy v. enhancement was a greatest hits squash and nothing more, another match to promote a match on the bigger show.

Main event of Your Highness Emi Sakura vs. Mizuki, who is basically someone doing Riho cosplay right down to most of the moves. Sorry, I don't watch joshi so I don't know who people really are and all they said was Mizuki is someone's tag partner in DDT? All that said, it was a good, stiff match with a highlight of Mizuki hitting a solid double stomp from the top rope to the floor after Emi splatted herself doing her crossbody splash against the ring steps. Emi won on a roll-up rather than her finisher. I kind of miss the "We Will Chop You" but I truly enjoy ass-beater Emi.

• Like 1

Makes me sad, I enjoyed the YouTube shows as a way to see some of the lesser names, try-outs, and random enhancement people. Very 80s/90s syndicated feel. I was a big Cult of Worldwide~! guy, you need your JTTS to be credible and that was a way to do so, plus the unpredictability of two JTTS facing off was a bonus.

I'm also sad because now I likely won't get to see people like Emi Sakura or the Wingmen live in Austin at the AEW show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fact of the matter is that they need to do something to increase the size of the show. I think Tony likes to warm up the crowd and even with a Dynamite/Rampage taping maybe being enough, Collision will only be two hours. If he does stick to the studio on ROH, then something has to fill that time.

• Like 1

So if they’re putting AEW on MAX, no way MJF loses the title before cutting the “The streaming service is named after me!” promo.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The fact of the matter is that they need to do something to increase the size of the show. I think Tony likes to warm up the crowd and even with a Dynamite/Rampage taping maybe being enough, Collision will only be two hours. If he does stick to the studio on ROH, then something has to fill that time.

You touched on something here that I don't think I've seen addressed:

The first Collision will be live from Chicago as we know - but part of me wonders if Collision will be taped regularly on the road, or if it will eventually become a studio show replacing both Dark/Elevation (could maybe tape before or after ROH).

I could very easily see a situation where we're shortening the arena time/show length, taping Rampage prior to Dynamite (essentially cold matches anyway - the only thing you'd lose is the ability to do the 'THIS FRIDAY' promo with the crowd popping cause they know they'll see it within the hour). 

Part of the new deal is that AEW Wrestling content will exclusively air on WBD.

This part has me really hopeful that the AEW library will move to Max.

Between this and the Wembley ticket sales, the guy(s) who only show up in AEW threads to shit on AEW are having a bad week.  Or they're busy figuring out how to move the goalposts.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You touched on something here that I don't think I've seen addressed:

The first Collision will be live from Chicago as we know - but part of me wonders if Collision will be taped regularly on the road, or if it will eventually become a studio show replacing both Dark/Elevation (could maybe tape before or after ROH).

I could very easily see a situation where we're shortening the arena time/show length, taping Rampage prior to Dynamite (essentially cold matches anyway - the only thing you'd lose is the ability to do the 'THIS FRIDAY' promo with the crowd popping cause they know they'll see it within the hour). 

I thought Meltzer said Collision would be live every week? That makes the most sense with the split rosters too. Plus it’s more ticket revenue and merch sales. I have a feeling they’ll do a few dark matches before the show (like WWE does), and then a special dark main event weekly since it’s an hour less than a combination Rampage/Dynamite taping. 

Edited by LF2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Having Rampage be a match or two from one crew and a match or two from the other would be okay, I guess.  Or just alternate weeks.

I’m really curious what the storyline reason, if any, for the split will be.

Same on your 2nd point, if that's the way it goes - again, I think the best, smartest option (if this absolutely HAS to be done) is to do the 'soft' brand split and never even address it - but maybe they're looking to ape WWE and try to pop a number with a draft episode or something (though I 100% certainly hope not).

Regarding your first point, though - you know what I think would be cool as shit? If they made Rampage into a modern version of WWF Prime Time. If it's, let's say, a four match card, for example, you would do:

* One match taped prior to Dynamite

* One match taped prior to Collision

* One match taped prior to ROH

* One exclusive match - either taped at a House Rules events, or cold matches taped a handful at a time prior to Battle of the Belts or PPVs, which are then trickled out here week by week.

• Like 5

Super-bummed about Elevation/Dark ending. Most of my wrestling intake was between those two shows, and I absolutely loved Daddy Magic and Tazz/Excalibur on commentary. Hopefully once they get the new show worked out they'll figure something out. If they start putting content on Max that would be cool too

• Like 5

So they taped ...

• Skye Blue vs Adena Steele
  • Best Friends (Trent Beretta and Chuck Taylor) & Rocky Romero vs Angelico, Serpentico & Nick Comoroto

before Dynamite and those are not special attraction dark matches certainly. So we'll see if they tack them on to ROH or what. At this point I could almost see them, between Dynamite and Collision and tight 4 show tapings at Universal, having two ROH shows some weeks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So they taped ...

• Best Friends (Trent Beretta and Chuck Taylor) & Rocky Romero vs Angelico, Serpentico & Nick Comoroto

before Dynamite and those are not special attraction dark matches certainly. So we'll see if they tack them on to ROH or what. At this point I could almost see them, between Dynamite and Collision and tight 4 show tapings at Universal, having two ROH shows some weeks.

That's a real interesting six man against CHAOS

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

So they taped ...

Skye is getting the ROH push to be Athena's next porcelain hussy boss challenger, so that makes sense for ROH. Both Rocky and Best Friends have been on ROH the last couple of weeks so maybe that goes there as well.

• Like 1