DVDVR Message Board

2023 AEW Media

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I am a bit of a HEY! (EW) connoisseur. I have enjoyed every time that RJ City comes close (or succeeds) in getting his guest(s) to break. This episode was very different. Shida was enchanting and effervescent and played off RJ very well. RJ, for his part, was laughing with Shida, instead of at Shida, so to speak. All in all, it was a very good episode.

• Like 2

I'll miss the option Dark/Elevation provided (Dean's reviews of said shows even more), but I also welcome reducing/replacing the number of hours. I didn't love the streamers use, sometimes general focus, of farming wins for the records. I skipped passed at least a third of the matches. The first few ROH shows had the formula I always hoped Dark would adopt - competitive bouts, with a squash here and there, interspersed with promos. Something they sorta did from time to time, but not consistently enough. It always seemed like a missed opportunity to not use the time for promos - from the stars working Wednesday and/or the lesser featured guys/gals. Reps are needed in and out of the ring. It also seemed like a bit of a waste to have all these good hands and greenhorns in the lower card working squash matches rather than competitive bouts. A team like the Varsity Blondes, for example, could have benefitted a lot more from working competitive losses to the many solid teams on the roster rather than semi-squashes with local talent. So too the likes of Julia Hart, Anna Jay or how bout fucking Jade? It also seemed to diminish the value of the program when it was occasionally referenced on TV as a lesser platform by the likes of Punk, MJF, Baker etc. Mox had no problem working it. I think the biggest benefit of dropping these shows is the potential for Rampage featuring a generally less tired crowd. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 2:43 AM, punkenhead said:

I am a bit of a HEY! (EW) connoisseur. I have enjoyed every time that RJ City comes close (or succeeds) in getting his guest(s) to break. This episode was very different. Shida was enchanting and effervescent and played off RJ very well. RJ, for his part, was laughing with Shida, instead of at Shida, so to speak. All in all, it was a very good episode.

When RJ gets the right guest, this show is magical. Danhausen is dollar signs every time he's on... Taz's episode was phenomenal... Starks & Hobbs were fantastic...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, just drew said:

When RJ gets the right guest, this show is magical. Danhausen is dollar signs every time he's on... Taz's episode was phenomenal... Starks & Hobbs were fantastic...

Then there’s Thunder Rosa…

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

I haven't watched it yet. Is it not as fun as some of the others?

It's not great, but it did make me realize that Rosa getting hurt really blew (for her) the natural Boss vs La Mera Mera feud that might have been one of the biggest things in 2023.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, just drew said:

I haven't watched it yet. Is it not as fun as some of the others?

I didn't think she came off particularly light-hearted, but she did seem quick to anger. Maybe some of RJ's stuff was too weird?

Edited by Iron Moose

21 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

I didn't think she came off particularly light-hearted, but she did seem quick to anger. Maybe some of RJ's stuff was too weird?

Sometimes I wonder how much prep goes into stuff like this. Carpool Karaoke with James Corden was usually pretty lighthearted and fun, but Carrie Underwood just didn't seem to get it. They ended up going boots shopping or something. 

Cole’s was pretty bad because he’s another one that chose not to engage with RJ and just reacted to everything like he was an idiot. I think face Cole would be a better guest than heel Cole was 

7 minutes ago, elizium said:

Cole’s was pretty bad because he’s another one that chose not to engage with RJ and just reacted to everything like he was an idiot. I think face Cole would be a better guest than heel Cole was 

That was one of the first, right? I barely remember it.

Willow's was particularly bad.  Put her on the spot in ways that didn't help her and didn't play to her strengths.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I tried watching it once and it was so awful and cringe that I had to stop after about 5 minutes.

I like RJ, but he's an acquired taste and it is guest specific.

The recent Mark Briscoe episode was delightful

• Like 1

It wasn't top tier by any means, but I thought she came off quite well. The bits where she got angry looked to me like she was trying to be heelish, while sticking to the spirit of things.

Ruby Soho's was one of the worst, because she was a face at the time, but seemed very touchy and genuinely put out by some of RJ's questions. And Andretti, because he just came across as a bit dim.

Mark Briscoe, Hobbs/Starks and Danielson stick out to me as the Hey! EW pinnacle. Saraya's also stood out as doing more to make her likeable than anything she did on actual TV before she turned.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 2:43 AM, punkenhead said:

Now I’m going to have to dig out my copy of Mutant Girl Squad because I have 0 recollection of Shida being in it. 

On 5/15/2023 at 2:34 PM, Matt D said:

Willow's was particularly bad.  Put her on the spot in ways that didn't help her and didn't play to her strengths.

I went on to watch the Ruby and Willow episodes. I'm not sure I agree... I thought Ruby's was a lot more awkward and Willow came off as bewildered, but likable.

Dalton's is maybe my favorite from the show but him and Danhausen are of course going to be good ones given their wacky characters.  I really liked Jade's also as she was kind of leaning into it and her legit reactions to some questions made it stand out.

• 2 weeks later...