DVDVR Message Board

2023 AEW Media

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not sure how to feel about a Riho heel turn though I thought it was possible after the 3rd time she made the save with the pipe but never used it on any of the heels. It reminds me of how Will Hobbs was always coming out to make the save against Team Taz before turning heel on Cody and Darby. 

My favorite part aside from Emi challenging Athena was the Ethen Page therapy session.  That told such a wonderful story that I was so there for every step of the way.  I don't know how they did it but they somehow made me give a shit about Ethan's wacky group.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DEAN said:

It's Dark Elevation!  It's Tony Nese and Ari Daivari!  I don't think I've seen the dudes they are wrestling.  Tony Nese is a HEAT MACHINE!  Nese and Daivari do a lot more double team things than they usually do.  NYLA!  Marina Shafir!  Briar and Sage Hale are sisters, I'm guesing.  Shafir is fun with all the tricked out matwork.  Okay, TK needs to sign the Hale sisters because they took a TRUE ass beating like CHAMPS.  WILLOW NIGHTINGALE!  Maggie Lee looks familiar. Lee is tall!   POUNCE!  CANNONBALL!  DOCTOR BOMB!  Zack Clayton is tagging with Anaya!  BIG BILL!  LEE MORIARTY!  Moriarty leans into Clayton's offense.  Anaya takes a Moriarty Float Over DDT like a PRO!  Big Bill tags in and he is OVER in Kansas City!  Big Bill/Moriarty hit an awkward finisher.  BIG BILL IS ALL ABOUT THE DANCING THIS NIGHT!  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!  TOOTIE LYNN!  Tootie starts off hot!  ATHENA knocks her out!  ATHENA IS SOOOOOOO AWESOME POSTMATCH!  EMI!  IN THE RING!  FLATLINER! that ATHENA takes like a TOTAL CHAMP!  MILLION BILLION STARS!  Spanish Announce Project!  MATT HARDY isn't gonna let his friend stay sad!  They can't ever break up these dudes.  Isiah Kassidy and Angelico are MAGIC in the ring together.  Comfort Ethan Page, he is distraught.  SERP and Luther make with the hilarity!  THE CROWD CHANTS "ETHAN! ETHAN! ETHAN!"  Kassidy screams like a little girl!  SWANTON FOR THE WIN!  So fucking GREAT!  ETHAN IS DANCING!  SO FUCKING GREAT!  Diamante and Riho have a REMATCH!  Riho is wearing her EVIL black get-up!  Diamante looks great in this.  Riho is leaning into Diamante's offense- as Riho is great at taking an ass beating.  Flashpin rollup!  POSTMATCH!  Riho is a total bitch waving to Diamante from the apron!  Between that and the Stokely Hathaway stuff on Twitter, a HEEL TURN IS IMMINENT!  RIHO! RIHO! RIHO! EVIL!   

I thought that was a truly excellent episode of Elevation. It's not that any single match was over the top great but the overall presentation completely worked for me. The balance worked for me. It sort of highlighted what makes Elevation so good when everything goes right. The crowd is up for everything because it's the first wrestling they see of the night, but it's with wrestlers good enough to connect with them, local people who they can get behind, and with such low stakes that it's almost like a house show, or maybe a late 80s Memphis arena undercard where they'd have a cycled down heel vs an enhancement act. Dirty White Boy vs TD Steele. On paper, I wasn't super interested with this one, but everything just hit.

• One of the guys (Myers maybe?) looked pretty good feeding and being in position. Nese and Davari love to team with each other and Davari's on record saying that they prided themselves on 205 live as putting people over and shining them up. I do think that the Nese/Woods team works a little better with Davari staying with the Trustbusters. There's less contrast with Nese and Davari together. 
  • Obviously the news of the morning is that Mox has been heavily working with Shafir and it's hard to watch her wrestle without keeping that in mind. She's a very different wrestler than she was months ago and it's exciting to think where she might end up. Part of the problem is that what she does is good in theory and works in squashes but it's hard to say what it'll be like in real matches as of yet. I get the sense that the  Hale sisters are pretty green, and the match wasn't set up to really give them a comeback even if the crowd wanted to root for them.
  • The crowd got a little behind Clayton too and he started moving about with extra zing including just bounding off the ropes because of that. Maybe he's not suited to be an aggrieved heel? It didn't last as the crowd glomped onto Bill instead. He's larger than life but I'm not sure it transfers into something useful so long as it's unfocused. But good on him that they were chanting for Bill and not Cass or whatever else. He was making the most of the crazy eyes. 
  • Maggie Lee had one trick (the hand switch tall bully thing) and it was a good trick. 
  • I've said a lot about Athena, but I just can't say enough. The reactions are so good. They built and built and built to the forearm and it's so good. Then every bit of reaction afterwards, from her innocent confusion at Tootie not moving and then taking advantage after a bit flourish post match, to bargaining with Emi and the vertical bump. It's all so good.
  • The story they told with Hardy/Kassidy/Page was just tremendous too. So entertaining. I feel like I'm just saying that over and over again, but it's true. This whole show was just hitting mark after mark. 
  • Riho vs Diamante was ok, but I think their last match was stronger. I do like the banana peel finish on the second match. It makes her look like more of a threat to steal it from Hayter moving forward.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

She already has a Giant Pipe to cheat with Book It TK! 

3 hours ago, evidence said:

I'm not sure how to feel about a Riho heel turn though I thought it was possible after the 3rd time she made the save with the pipe but never used it on any of the heels. It reminds me of how Will Hobbs was always coming out to make the save against Team Taz before turning heel on Cody and Darby. 

We gonna find out this is just a play on:

Except we're going find out that Riho is the lovechild of Scott Steiner from one of his trips in WCW to Japan. Next, she's going to be wearing chainmail, doing that bicep kiss pose, and hitting Screwdrivers on people. If Tam Nakano can do one on Himeka, she can do one on Jamie Hayter. 2023 will be the year of the Lil Booty Mama Riho, dammit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's DARK!  From a taping that happened a month ago!  NICKY BOY!  AR FOX!  Nicky is powerful!  AR Fox flies around him!  Nicky crushes Fox to cut him off!  NICE LARIAT by Nicky Boy!  Nicky Boy looks great in this.  Fox hits a giant batch of old school Lucha dives!   SWANTON for TWO!  ANOTHER GREAT LARIAT by Nicky Boy!  Man, this match keeps going.  So this is an ROH match they stuck on Dark.  Fox hits a Swanton and then hits a 450 for the win!  QUEEN AMINATA!  SKYE BLUE!  Their matches in the indies are becoming legendary.  If this is 1/4 as STIFF, this'll be good.  They are MAGIC in the ring together.  Great German Suplex by the Queen!  Beautiful use of the SHIN to knock Blue out of the ring.  Queen with the Snap Suplex on the floor!  This match is fucking GREAT.  Skye Blue has a fun comeback, coming off the top to the floor!  Flying Crossbody off the toprope for TWO!  They start beating the fudge out of the each other!  Man, this is the best Sky Blue has looked in AEW.  AIR RAID CRASH BY AMINATA!  WRECKED EM!  SUPER WRECKED EM!  Blue kicks out somehow!  Skye Blue hits her kinda crappy Flatliner for the win.  Match of the Week so far!  Evil Uno IS the new Kendo Nagasaki!  Hard Edge Evil Uno is so good.  GREAT FUCKING WESTERN LARIAT BY EVIL UNO!  FUCKING PILEDRIVER!  ANOTHER FUCKING PILEDRIVER!  Alexander Moss takes the second like a CHAMP!  IT'S STEPH DE LANDER!  She is EVERYWHERE!  I thought she signed with IMPACT! but he might not have since she took Chelsea Green's place accompanying Matt Cardona.  This match is good.  Marina Shafir is great when she has someone to fight and De Lander is bringing it!  TK should sign De Lander if Scotty D'Amour hasn't already.  NEW FUCKED UP SUBMISSION!  Shafir is awesome.  It's Schaff!  Zack Clayton goes all King's Road!  Schaff looks great in this.  Wacky Fisherman Buster for the win by Clayton.  It's Top Flight!  Liam Gray and Adrian Alanis return!  Top Flight are great.  I would enjoy a Top Flight/Aussie Open series of matches.  Liam Gray steals EMI's dive into the corner!  COBRA CLUTCH!  Darius Martin hits a SWEET Brainbuster!  Dante with the SUWA Dropkick!  This is another WILDLY competitive match.  Dante and Darius CRUSH Gray with their Flatliner thingy!  Q-TV!  Harley Cameron doesn't have a cagematch.net profile STILL!  QT is a HEAT MACHINE!  Aaron Solo is now a HEAT MACHINE!  Holy shit, Austin Green is HUUUGE!  Marshal and Solo are GREAT tagteam heels.  Austin Green is a fucking TANK!  Green bumps over the toprope to the floor.  QT hits the DIURT SHEET DRIVER for the win.  Oh man, sign the shit out of Austin Green, TK.  It's NXT alumni, Brady Booker!  Booker does a very nice Delayed Vertical Suplex!  SERP is over in Orlando!  SERP does a Swanton to nowhere!  SERP hits a Swanton!  Booker with the Torture Rack!  Booker looked pretty good.  He should embrace his inner douchebag more.  COLE KARTER!  More NXT alumni!  Konosuke Takeshita is DDT alumni!  Hammerlock by Cole!  TakeshitaLine!  Karter with a MODIFIED STO!  Karter with the Snap Suplex into a Chinlock!  Great Dropkick by Karter!  JESUS!  Hellish GUNTHER-like chops by Konosuke Takeshita!  FALCON ARROW by Karter!  Karter has gotten in giant wads of offense.  RANA by Takeshita into a Tope Con Hilo!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB!  KArter with a Buckle Bomb into a SWEET Spinebuster!  This is the best Cole Karter match I've seen.  SUPERPLEX but Kole rolls through!  BEAUTIFUL German Suplex by Takeshita!  Karter with a 450 to nowhere!  Knee to the face!  For the win!  That was fucking great.  That was the best Cole Karter has looked.  POSTMATCH!  BIG SHOTTY BEATS ON TAKESHITA!  That was an awesome episode.

• Like 2

Lightning round as I've written too many words on DVDVR in the last 24 hours for everyone's sake:

• Comoroto vs Fox was a very long ten minutes, but I still sort of want Comoroto to be world champion. Sorry. Everything he does looks absolutely credible. You could repackage him and send him at Mark Briscoe as a legitimate ROH TV Title challenger for instance. Just do anything with him!
  • That was a very complete Skye Blue vs Queen Aminata match. I want to see Blue vs Starks and Aminata vs Emi or Trish (I think we had an Aminata vs Emi tease in a multi-person tag once).
  • Mean Uno is pretty great, let me tell you. Those were nasty pile drivers.
  • Shafir vs De Lander wasn't quite as interesting as Shafir's match on Elevation. De Lander looked like the world's best Kayla Rossi which makes sense given she's sort of playing that role for Cardona right now.
  • I'd still like to see what babyface Clayton looks like.
  • I've been trying to figure out what Darius has that Dante hasn't for weeks now and I'm pretty sure it's his forearm. He's got a good forearm that Dante doesn't have! There you go. Build on that, Darius. They shouldn't be doing the assisted flip over DDT every match. That should be a special spot that only makes sense in situational moments. I love Dante's ambition with his half and half spinout slam finisher since it's something a guy like Comoroto should be doing instead, and I like the kick set up, but it just doesn't seem sustainable. Oh, Grey and Alanis are always pretty good, and maybe could be an undercard ROH team? Maybe.
  • Speaking of not sustainable, the Dirt Sheet Driver. I love that people have called QT out on the idea he can't do it to bigger guys so now he's going to try to do it to Satnam Singh or something. They should hire Green and put him with Toa.
  • Repackage Booker as Waylon Mercy Jr. and put Parker Bordeaux in with him as Nathan Jones Jr. While I'm asking for things, I think Serp needs some sort of fake Million Dollar Belt style title.
  • I skipped Takeshita vs Karter because no one needs me to complain about that. I think of you guys constantly, really.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Is this where we talk about All Access?

The best part were the cuts to a bug eyed Tony, making it look like he was listening in to everyone's conversations

The best part is how they are setting up Britt Baker vs Thunder Rosa when Rosa comes back.

• Like 1

QT using the orange crush has to be one of the biggest "cool move wasted on a mediocre wrestler" offenses ever. Why not have Hobbs do that instead? The name sucks too because the Bucks already coined Meltzer Driver years ago.

• Like 1

NICKY BOY!  To put over Action Andretti!  First he gets Nicky Boy over as a monster.  Nicky takes Action's junior heavyweight stuff like a champ.  Nicky cuts him off with assorted power moves.  Many many backbreakers by Nicky Boy!  Andretti gets a flashpin after giving Nicky Boy pretty much everything.  That was good!  Hey!  It's Angelica Risk!  She's spunky and sassy!  It's the On A Roll Skye Blue!  Blue is either channeling the Storm/Hayter side of the women's division or she is channelling ATHENA's side of the women's division.  Either way, Blue is really starting to lay it in.  Risk is awesome!  She brings the heel beatdown that Skye reacts well too.  Risk gets in all kindsa stuff and actually makes Skye Blue's finisher not look shitty.  GATES OF AGONY!  Leonis and Maximus are larger than the Gates of Agony!  This is a total HOSS FIGHT!  Kaun is the Booker T of the GoA.  I loved his Spinning Chinlock!  That was fun.  I don't think I've ever seen Kelsey Heather before.  It's Julia Hart!  HEather is a cheerleader!  So every young woman wrestler in AEW is heavily influenced by Jamie Hayter and ATHENA.  Julia Hart has never lain it in like this before.  Heather uses cheerleading to make a comeback!  Moonsault to nowhere!  Julia Hart does her freaky submission!  LEON RUFFIN!  KIP SABIAN!  Ruffin is great on his offensive run!  Kip Sabian is all hard edged in this match to complement Ruffins slick and wacky offense.  Great nearfall by Ruffin on a Cutter!  GREAT BRAINBUSTER by Sabian.  Sabian hits a kinda crappy Flatliner for the win!  That was good.  Lance Archer fucks around with Bryce Cannon's beautiful hair.  Jake the Snake gets in a Lariat at ringside!  Archer is having fun with the general weirdness of Cannon and his many shirts!  So great!  THE INFANTRY!  YESSSSS!  The ASS BOYS!  It's a misplaced ROH match!  They are fucking around a lot.  The Gunns are great at being bumping heels and the Infantry are fun babyfaces.  Shawn Dean becomes our face in peril.  Austin CHEATS by beating on Dean on the outside.  The Gunns are awesome at beating the HEAT~! on the babyfaces!  Coulton is the Secret Super Wrestler in the match.  Carlie Bravo makes the hot tag and he BRINGS IT!  ILLEGAL FAME-ASSER by Austin for a NEARFALL!  Great finish!  That was fun! 

Apparently Kelsey Heather is the head Cheerleader of the Orlando Magic. Now whether that makes her better at Cheerleading than the former 2-time National Champion I don't know.

Angelica Risk has been investing in her look since last year. She was just wearing cutout overalls before, now she's all "studded belts everywhere", only it's red and blue so it looks less dominatrixy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Apparently Kelsey Heather is the head Cheerleader of the Orlando Magic. Now whether that makes her better at Cheerleading than the former 2-time National Champion I don't know.

Angelica Risk has been investing in her look since last year. She was just wearing cutout overalls before, now she's all "studded belts everywhere", only it's red and blue so it looks less dominatrixy.

Kelsey Heather used to be an active cheerleader, but she’s now the head cheerleading coach for the University of Tampa.

• Like 1

PPA!  PPA! PPA!  PRETTY PETER AVALON- THE PRETTIEST BOY IN AEW!  It's AR FOX!  AR Fox should be a special member of the Infantry and should go for the ROH trios title.  That would rule.  PPA does a roll-up counter!  CROSSBODY OFF THE TOP by PPA!  PPA Moonsault to nowhere!  This is the best match in the history of Championship Wrestling From Hollywood!  I love Peter Avalon in actual competitive matches.  DEATH VALLEY DRIVER  on the apron by PPA!  MICHINOKU DRIVER by PPA for TWO!  Fox wins with a roll-up!  That was fucking GREAT!  PPA! PPA! PPA!  SERP! SERP! SERP!  WILLIE MACK!  SERP is awesomre being teeny and Willie Mack being powerful.  Mack does cool variations of armdrags.  SERP works the knee!  Mack sells the knee!  I love that since they charge admission, the matches are competitive.  Mack hits a BEAUTIFUL TIGER DRIVER for the win!  THAT was also GREAT!  I don't think I've seen Ameera before.  Leila Grey roughs her up.  Ameera gets a little comeback!  LEila CRUSHES HER FACE!  That was perfectly fine.  Tony Nese and Ari Daivari are take two ham and eggers and will make then look like a million bucks.  TERRY YAKI!  They beat the crap out of Yaki.  Jay Lukas makes the hot tag!  And he gets killed!  It's Invictus Khash!  Speaking of CWFH, he is getting pushed to the top of the card.  CWFH always talk about how great Khash is on the mat, but I've never actually seen it.  Khash has wrist control!  Lee Morarty works the Full Nelson and Khash actually does the matwork he doesn't do in CWFH.  FUN Roll Up Sequence.  SECRET LOWBLOW!  Moriarty wins with the Leg Lariat.  That was the best I've seen from Invictus Khash.  He should do that in his regular gig.  IT'S THE NEW KENDO NAGASAKI!  EVIL UNO! EVIL UNO! EVIL UNO!  Cezar Bonino!  CEzar looks fucking GREAT in this.  CEzar is crazy violent in this.  MOVE HIM TO ROH, TK!  CEZAR WITH THE TIGER SUPLEX HOLD FOR TWO!  Evil Uno is AWESOME with his last flurry of offense, lariating Cezar in the corner and hitting the PILEDRIVER for the win!  EVIL UNO! EVIL UNO! EVIL UNO!  It's TONI STORM!  It's KEIRA HOGAN!  I hope Hogan lays it in.  You know Storm is about to lay it in.  And SHE DOES!  Hogan makes with the SMACKYBUTT!  Hogan hits a Tope!  Auxillary WRECKED EM!  Storm beats the hell out of Hogan.  Toni Storm is SO FUCKING AWESOME.  Storm is the new Leilani Kai.  And the new Judy Martin.  HOGAN MAKES A COMEBACK AND HITS HER OWN VERSION OF WRECKED EM!  Diving Crossbody FOR TWO!  NECKBREAKER FOR TWO! SUWA DROPKICK!  WRECKED EM!  STORM ZERO!  FUCKING AWESOME!  TONI! TONI! TONI!  (Hey, waitaminnit!)  AEW DARK RULES THE FUCKING WORLD!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Serp was positively heroic against Mack. He kept taking that leg out. Then he got squished.

Bononi vs Uno was quite the match. So was PPA vs Fox. And Moriarty had the best self-satisfied grin on his face after the low blow.

I'll catch the main tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Serp was positively heroic against Mack. He kept taking that leg out. Then he got squished.

Bononi vs Uno was quite the match. So was PPA vs Fox. And Moriarty had the best self-satisfied grin on his face after the low blow.

I'll catch the main tomorrow.

I gotta say, I may have to stop talking mental trash about Evil Uno if he can carry Cesar Bononi to a great match.