DVDVR Message Board

2023 AEW Media

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Has there ever been a better wrestling match, where one competitor was 28 years older than the other? I can't think of one.

Dusty Rhodes vs. Steve Corino (28 years)

Fit Finlay vs. Sami Callihan (29 years)

Jushin Liger vs. Will Ospreay (29 years)

Negro Navarro vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (30 years)

Ric Flair vs Carlito (30 years)

Johnny Saint vs. Mike Quackenbush (35 years)

Probably a ton more I'm forgetting

• Like 3

Kind of late to the Emi/Starks party but I did spend about a couple weeks getting through 12 episodes each of Dark and Elevation.  No, I'm not kidding and man am I glad I work from home.  That was an epically giant wad of wrestling to catch up on.  Once I catch up on the 6 episodes of Rampage I'm behind on (initially was as far behind as 10) then I'll be all caught up with all of AEW.  I think.  I hope.  Man, this is a lot of content.

I heard a lot about Billie but haven't seen indy wrestling for a good while.  So her Dark appearances were the first I actually saw her wrestle.  As they went on I was continually impressed with how good she is for 18.  It's almost absurd but then I'm reminded of folks like Nick Wayne and Starboy who I hear are pretty goddamn good at their age also.  And if that's actually true for Nick and Starboy then wrestling's future is insanely bright.  Anyway Emi/Starks ruled so fucking hard and is a super strong contender for MOTW.

• Like 5

Finally saw Billie-Emi from Tuesday and loved it. I love Emi when she does her comedy spots but I really love when she does the more serious thing like this and Hayter. The sky is the limit for Billie...and speaking of sky, her and Skye Blue need to be a tag team. One thing I have noticed is that Starks has drawn hardway blood in at least two of her matches so far, and I think it’s from still being green rather than being too snug.

• Like 2

Billie has had more matches than Britt Baker, so by that metric Britt is still green too?

I think Billie is just a snug worker, which probably comes from working a lot of intergender matches (and working in a place like GCW).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Billie has had more matches than Britt Baker, so by that metric Britt is still green too?

I think Billie is just a snug worker, which probably comes from working a lot of intergender matches (and working in a place like GCW).

Thanks for that info!

EMI! EMI! EMI!  I've seen Raychelle Riveter somewhere.  Emi is choppy!  Emi is Moonsaulty!  Emi is your winner!  Matt Taven!  He is awesome!  Mike Bennett is a secret wrestling machine.  HEY! It's EJ SPARKZ!  Straight from Championship Wrestling from Hollywood!  The Kingdom are giving these dudes a little bit but not too much.  Awesome!  Mazzarati!  They should sign her.  Diamante is part of Nyla and Marina Shafir's stable!  I don't know who these other two gals are.  Nyla CRUSHES Mazzarati.  Poor Mazzarati.  Awesome!  One of the other gals runs to the back rather than face Nyla.  Powerhouse Hobbs mangles a dude.  Daddy Magic is the highlight of the match.  I would be more familiar with the Arizona enhancement dudes if UWN still ran Arizona.  But they don't so I don't.  ETHAN PAGE IS A DANCING MACHINE!  Hey, Matt Hardy is a face in peril!  PAge with a GREAT boot to the face of Watson!  Zay screams like a little girl!  Watson takes the Twist of Page like a WEIRDO!  ATHENA~! ATHENA~! ATHENA~!  Danielle Kamela was in the Owen Hart tournament against Britt Baker, if I recall correctly. JESUS!  ATHENA is so fucking awesome.  JESUS!  Kicking Kamela through the bottom ropes to the floor.  Kamela gets in some stuff and ATHENA~! makes her look like a million bucks.  Hey!  An O Face!  And a handshake!  ROH! ROH! ROH!  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA! It;s Lee Johnson!  Daddy Magic's admits that his nipples are hard for Cole Karter!  Takeshita is over in Phoenix!  Big Shotty is a HEAT MACHINE!  JESUS!  MEGA LARIAT by Little Lord Cinnebon!  GREAT TOPE CON HILO~~!  Big Shotty makes a comeback!  Soup cuts him off with a BEAUTIFUL Blue Thunder Bomb.   BIG KNEE FOR THE WIN!  Big Shotty looked good in that.  Konosuke Takeshita is MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Great crowd. Phoenix really wanted to see wrestling. They were reacting to anything and letting people get away with things that worked thirty years ago but that crowds don't always buy into now.
  • Emi was first out and super over. She definitely picked up traction after the Rampage match. Which made it all the better when she shushed the crowd and denied them chanting for her. The post match fakeout on the handshake was lovely too.
  • I was feeling the Kingdom theme tonight for some reason. Bennett is a super solid hand. He's also got a super solid fist. EJ got a little chant. Good for him. Taven found the camera for some trash talking. Bennett running around the ring like a goof post match fit the energy of the show.
  • They should sign Mazzarati and then tag her with Mafiosa and someone else can come up with the team name (but it should be a riff on The Fast and the Furious). I don't even know what the fans were chanting here, but they were chanting it. Shafir locking in a cross arm breaker and scooting her opponent across the ring so she could tag was some of the best pro wrestling I've ever seen out of her. Real sense of dread. I think they wanted Miss May to get in all match and then when she had the opportunity, she ran to the back. If they make that a running (pun!) thing, then she might even get over.
  • Hobbs was feeling the crowd feeling Hobbs. I wonder if he took a breath in there if he would have given them another spinebuster or not. He shouldn't have but he might have.
  • Page got the most heat I've ever seen him get in AEW. I like that he's actually trying now too. Being an unlikable, perspectiveless babyface is going to get you more heat than being a smarmy heel. This is almost certainly ending on Wednesday with Matt laying down for Hook so that Stoke vs Hook can be on the pre-show (or Rampage), but it's been a fun C-Show ride.
  • I can only imagine what the crowd would have been like if Athena was in the first match. I like when a wrestler has a signature entry point to their matches and Athena leads off with the forearm, but she doesn't get there the same way most of the time and it's always interesting how she works it in.
  • Lee Johnson vs Takeshita was solid stuff at 2x speed. Johnson controlled which meant the match didn't have a dumb structure and he had a ton of attitude and personality. He's a guy that i really want to see weekly now.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fun episode that started with Emi being awesome and ended with Takeshita doing his thing.  Lovely.  I think what added to Hobbs looking king-sized was the fan yelling "Stop, stop he's already dead!"  I'm a sucker for that meme and in this case it worked after he clubbered the fuck out of whatshisface.  Good stuff.

• Like 5

Action Andretti and Tony Deppen have at it!  Andretti is quite the babyface.  Tony Deppen is a heel.  Action bumps big to the floor!  Tony Deppen yells at rubes in the crowd!  Action has a good comeback.  He dies a thousand deaths on a Tope gone awry!  Deppen gets in some nice nearfalls.  NICE Superplex into a Falcon Arrow by Action!  FOR TWO!  More nearfalls!  Running Shooting Star Press for the win!  That was good!  It's J Spade!  He lost to Ari Daivari when Ari was going to give everyone in the audience a thousand dollars if Spade won! Evil Uno is all about the chops in this.  J Spade gets in giant wads of offense!  Parker Boudreaux mauls a dude.  Shawn Dean and Invictus Khash have a match.  Khash is being pushed hard in Championship Wrestling from Hollywood.  Khash gets in an Abdominal Stretch.  Shawn Dean hits him with the Deal!  Sahara Seven is from Norfolk or Richmond.  It's Leila Grey!  Grey is getting better.  Neat submission.  It's Willie Mack!  Against Joe Keys!  Joe Keys looks good in this.  Willie Mack makes a comeback but Keys CUTS HIM OFF witha backbreaker.  Exploider by Mack!  Big Splash for the win!  COMPETITIVE!  AWESOME!  SHANE TAYLOR!   Taylor allows Alanis to live for a few minutes.  Taylor destroys him.  Alanis gets a COMEBACK~! Taylor cuts him off and kills him.  And Alanis gets another comeback!  Taylor CRUSHES him with a Package Piledriver!  Shane Taylor is awesome.  Lee Moriarty hits a Mongolian Chop!  Morales takes a beating!  Moriarty does a lot of fun matwork and chain wrestling!  Morales makes a COMEBACK!  He dives to nowhere!  Moriarty rolls up the earthly remains for the win.  Blake Li!  From the Factory!  Arjun Singh!  Nice dropkick by Li!  The rest isn't very good.  Dream Girl Ellie!  She was on OVW recently, I believe.  She and Skye Blue do a Malenko-Guerrero roll-up sequence!  NICE German Suplex by Ellie!  Dream Girl gets in all kinds of stuff!  Dream Girl gets in another flurry of offense!  Blue hits a Flatliner (or something) for the win!  Ari Daivari, Sonny Kiss, Slim J and Jeeves Kay take on Dante Martin, Darius Martin, AR Fox and Matt Sydel!  Darius and Sonny are great in the ring together.  AR FOx and Jeeves K go at it!  Jeeves is good flying all over the ring.  The Trustbusters beat the crap out of Darius on ringside!  Fun triple teams on Darius.  Darius makes the HOT TAG to AR Fox!  Fow is the CRAZIEST Robert Gibson !  GREAT Michinoku Driver by Jeeves Kay!  METEORA by Sydal FOR TWO!  EVERYBODY HITS EVERYBODY!  Trustbusters CHEAT five different ways FOR TWO!  Slim J- who is fucking AWESOME- takes an AR Fox Sunset Flip directly on his neck and then Dante Martin hits his finisher!  That was a hoot!  THEN!  In another universe!  Jeff Jarrett is a TOTAL FUCKING HEAT MACHINE!  MALACHI CRUNCH on Jay Lethal!  Satnam dribbles Malachi!  This match is fucking great.  POSTMATCH,  Jay Lethal gives Tony Schiovanne the business!  PRETTY PETER AVALON- THE PRETTIEST BOY IN AEW!  Dean Alexander gets the hell beaten out of him by a newly driven Peter Avalon!  Avalon has to join Los Ingobernables!  PPA! PPA! PPA!    Orange Cassidy and Danhausen!  The Workhorsemen!  IN THE ROH RING!  OC is becoming the Zack Sabre Jr of AEW what with all the wacky matwork!  JD Drake beats the fuck out of Danhausen.  JD Drake beats the fuck out of Orange Cassidy after Cassidy fucks around a bit.  Cool double teams by the WHM!  OC HOT TAGS TO DANHAUSEN!  NICE DDT by Danhausen!  JD Drake does his thing against the ropes!  ALL KINDS OF STUFF HAPPENS!  DANHAUSEN WITH THE GTS!  FOR THE WIN!  That was fucking great.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2023 at 9:29 AM, AxB said:

Has there ever been a better wrestling match, where one competitor was 28 years older than the other? I can't think of one.

Flair almost certainly had some by virtue of being really good well into his 50s. He had a cage match with Orton at Taboo Tuesday and there's a 30+ age gap there. If you're just looking for a fine tv match, I'm sure Lawler and Funk had some too.

While it's not quite 28, Jericho and Andretti tore the house down with a 26-year gap a couple months ago.

• Like 1

Was able to watch Elevation, and mostly enjoyed it.

Another excellent, hard-hitting, slightly more serious Emi match. I forgot how much I cracked up last week when she kept calling Billie “baby” while chopping her. Didn’t get anything quite like that but I love her standing on the ropes and yelling “I’m Your Highness!”. She might not be able to stay heel much longer, and I want her and Athena to have a 15-20 minute battle.

I kinda forgot about The Kingdom, I guess they’re saving them for ROH but honestly I wouldn’t mind them in the regular tag scene. And not just for Maria.

Womens trios was fine, some good comedy moments, Shafir showing some improvement and the submission drag to the corner was great, but she also had some reckless moments. I’d like to see more of Nyla even though she’s salvaging Shafir’s signing.

Hobbs kills a dude, and finally realizes that it works better to bring the book to the downed opponent instead of crouching behind it in the corner.

Mens trios didn’t have enough Zay, but the enhancement dude sold the shit out of Page’s big boot, dropped like he’d been smacked with a baseball bat.

I think Takeshita-Johnson was great, although I think it was a little more competitive than it should have been given Takshita’s rise and push. Of course, Danielson, Mox, etc. are also extremely giving with the undercard guys and it did make Takeshita have to do some extra work to finish.

• Like 2