DVDVR Message Board

2023 AEW Media

Dolfan in NYC

His time on top in TNA did him no favors, but Jarrett has always been a fun and good worker. There were a few bright spots during that time in TNA, too. As far as character stuff goes, though, it’s always been more miss than hit, but his time in AEW so far is great.

And he’s implementing house shows and gaining access to new markets, so that’s a plus as well. Net gain all around on AEW’s end when it comes to Jarrett.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Casey said:

His time on top in TNA did him no favors, but Jarrett has always been a fun and good worker. There were a few bright spots during that time in TNA, too.

Jeff Jarrett doing MMA to a group of kids was the highlight of his entire career.

• Like 2

Two very good matches and a lot of squashes for Elevation tonight.

Highlight was Emi and Nyla vs. Skye Blue and Madison Rayne. Vickie was way over in El Paso, of course. Not a whole lot of the usual shenanigans in this one, it was more of the Emi who went blow for blow with Jayme Hayter, and now I really want to see Emi vs. Skye Blue getting some time on Dynamite or Rampage. If you only watch one match from tonight, it should be this one.

Yuka Sakazaki vs. Vertvixen was the other good, semi-competitive match. Yuka has some surprising power for being so small, I guess she truly is a magical girl. Vertvixen has a lot of promise.

The Big Bill squash is pretty fun, and there is a long, strange backstage segment with Ethan Page and Matt Hardy. Otherwise, nothing worth taking time to watch.

• Like 5

I took a nap.  The Dark Order are a total machine when it comes to hitting their finisher.  Where is Matt Hardy headed with this?  It's Gino Rodriguez!  The new king of enhancement talent across all promotions.  Big Bill tells a little story- "Gino is over because I tower over him.  I will give him a few things and then chokeslam him from the stratosphere."  It's that Delilah Doom gal that MJF is hanging around.  Dulce Tormenta is good.  Leila Grey showboats in front of Jade Cargill.  Jade Cargill comes in and wins.  I don't think I've seen Jastin Taylor before.  Brian Cage would usually tell a little story.  Instead he hits a thousand moves and wins.  Emi Sakura and Nyla Rose take on Madison Rayne and Skye Blue.  Nyla and Skye do a really cool wad of counters that ends up with Skye getting murderlized.  EMI tags in!  SPANKYBUTT!  EMI hits a crossbody through the ropes!  VICKIE WITH THE SPEAR!  VICKIE IS OVER IN EL PASO!  EMI works over Skye!  EMI Crossbody Blocks on the floor!  Nyla CRUSHES Rayne with a move!  Yuka Sakazaki!  We are in Texas so we have Vertvixen!  They should go ahead and sign her.  Vert gets a CLOSE nearfall!  Wee Yuka with an Airplane Spin!  Magical Girl Splash and that's that.  ATHENA!  BEATS ON YUKA!  HEAT IT UP!  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!  It's Josh Woods!  Sweet EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX.  This night is very much a Harlem Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals night of wrestling.  Chuck Taylor and Trent Barretta take on Ayden Colt and Frank Stone.  They get in a little and then they get destroyed by the DOUBLE FINISHERS of the Best Friends.  That was a lot of squashes.

• Like 3

I'm about halfway through because I went and watched the Cody/Sami interaction.

Anyway, very glad for the Vickie moment, even the entrance more than the spear. I wish that they had let it sink in just a little more. I also kind of wish they let Rayne/Skye work de facto heel a bit more maybe? I'm not saying I'm looking forward to JASkye Blue or whatever she'll be when she eventually turns but it's good for her to get that experience in when it makes sense. One thing I really liked was the organic moment of Jade turning around and seeing the 52-0 on the screen and being surprised by it because she didn't realize they were counting the Jericho Cruise win (which hadn't happened yet, a very WCW Disney Tapings moment) and how she just rolled with it. Not much else to say other than Big Bill wasn't getting the extension on the big boot for facing a guy way smaller than him but I liked his trash talk in between spots and how in the moment he was. That theme really doesn't work though. 

Speaking of themes, I was sad we didn't get to hear the new SAP theme this week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fuego Del Sol and Leon Ruffin are the new beloved tag team of YouTube AEW.  This is the longest I've seen DADDY MAGIC and Cool Hand Ange in a regular match.  Fuego Del Sol is our babyface in peril.  Fuego with the ALEXANDER KARELIN LIFT!  Fuego and Ruffin bonk heads and they CRUSH Fuego with their Black Cat DDT DOUBLED!  MEI SURUGA!  It's Hyena Hera!  Mei is BITEY!  Mei is all about the Moolah Hair Beils!  That was an insane bit wrestling. Mei tells about eight little stories- each as zany as the next. I love Mei's submission.  Allen and Cameron Russell?  Are they sons of somebody in the BIZ?  Josh Woods!  Tony Neese!  Neese is a heat machine. Woods kinda finally hits full STEINER and I am now excited about Woods/Briscoe.  Hey!  It's GRAVITY!  That's Bandido's brother!  It's Kip Sabian!  Oh man, Kip goes all Lucha Libre.  Kip is weirdly OVER in Orlando.  This is some fun Lucharesu.  Gravity hits a WACKY DIVE that I've never seen before.  Oh man, Gravity translates well as a dirtbag luchadore in Big Lucha into a BUDDING UNIVERSAL STAPLE!  GRAVITY! GRAVITY! GRAVITY!  It's Dan the Dad!  It's Zack Clayton.  Dan the Dad should jump on the mic and say, "Don't forgot to take your drinks with you and throw them away because you know what comes next-  BEES!"  Jeeves Kay!  SONNY KISS!  It's Brock Anderson and Brian Pillman Jr!  Slim J CHEATS!  Jeeves Kay looks the best.  Brock Anderson looks a lot better in this, as he is now just aping his dad, which is a good guy to ape.  Nice Spinebuster by Brock!  That was kind of disjointed but good.  SERP vs Christopher Daniels!  SERP is getting in all kinds of stuff.  Angelico and Luther beat on Daniels while SERP distracts the ref!  Fun roll-up sequence!  SWEET Death Valley Driver by CD!  They finally get to the Best Moonsault Ever!  That was fun.  Ari Daivari and J Spade!  A thousand dollars to everyone in the audience if Spade wins!  TAZ is awesome already losing the thousand dollars on Draftkings before the match is even over.   Oh man, that match was wayyyyy fun.  I don't think I've seen Ultra Violet before.  It's Diamante!  Diamante beats her ass!  Violet gets some stuff in!  Triple German Suplex by Diamante for the win!  DALTON CASTLE AND THE BOYS!  LET'S BREAK SOME HEARTS!  Dalton Castle is so fucking awesome, taunting his opponents.  Castle goes total STEINER!  TWIRLING! TWIRLING! TWIRLING!  So fucking great.  OH MAN!  BEAR BRONSON!  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!  DON'T PEE, GORDLOW!  DON'T PEE GORDLOW!  Bronson gets is giant wads of offense.  Super FAT BLUE THUNDER BOMB!  NICE Backdrop Driver by Bronson!  EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX by Takeshita!  Big Knee and that's all she wrote.  That was great.  That was a big wad oif pro wrestling.  A very weird, strange and wonderful episode.  MEI! GRAVITY! J SPADE!  DALTON AND THE BOYS! And of course, BRONSON vs KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2023 at 8:20 PM, Casey said:

His time on top in TNA did him no favors, but Jarrett has always been a fun and good worker. There were a few bright spots during that time in TNA, too. As far as character stuff goes, though, it’s always been more miss than hit, but his time in AEW so far is great.

And he’s implementing house shows and gaining access to new markets, so that’s a plus as well. Net gain all around on AEW’s end when it comes to Jarrett.

I'm  getting a very Lawler in ECW from Total Nonstop Associates (see what I did there!) simple, easy effective heat!

• Like 2

It's Fuego del Sol and Juice Robinson!  ROCK HARD!  Fuego starts off getting the better of ROCK HARD!  Fuego makes a comeback!  Juice Robinson is awesome at making Fuego look like a million bucks.  Juice UNMASKS Fuego and gets the pin!  Fuego looked great.  Juice Robinson rules it.  ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENA!  I don't think I've seen Evelyn Carter before.  ATHENA RULES!  She tells a little story.  It involves ATHENA beating the hell out of Evelyn Carter.  What a fabulous ass beating,  Big Bill and Lee Moriarty crush two dudes. AFTER A WHILE!  Zack Zilla and Moriarty have a fun section.  Big Bill DOES A LITTLE DANCE!  Zack Zilla and partner get in all kinds of offense before Bill finally kills the dude.  It's Willow Nightingale, Leva Bates and Madison Rayne taking on EMI! EMI! EMI! Nyla and Marina Shafir.  Madison Rayne becomes our face in peril!  EMI smokes her with BIG CHOP!  VICKIE CHEATS!  Willow is fucking GREAT after the hot tag!  SO MUCH ENERGY!  Leva makes with some kicks that spell defeat and Nyla murdalizes her with a Beast Bomb.  Powerhouse Hobbs destroys Sal Muscat.  A ten man match!  The Dark Order!  The Best Friends!  The FIRM!  The Butcher and The Blade! Ethan Page dances!  Ethan Page doesn't let Zay say things on the mic!  Uno punches Zay in the face!  Uno becomes our face in peril though Matt Hardy is the most over babyface in the match.  The Butcher looks fucking great in this.  Ethan Page is GREAT as a heel- raking the eyes, talking shit.  Chuck makes the hot tag and backdrops Zay who screams like a little girl!  The Best Friends kill Zay!  Evil Uno hits the Twist of Page!  Uno gets killed by the Butcher and the Blade!  They have VERY elaborate finish that was really great.  Zay gets beat because Ethan Page is too worried about Matt Hardy to tag in.  That was good.  Smart Mark Sterling calls Laredo is stinky!   TAKE THEIR MASKS!  The Lucha Brothers!  ARE OVER IN LAREDO!  PENTA irritates dudes on the board!  Tony Nese is a HEAT MACHINE!  Nese and PENTA are great in the ring together.  PENTA is great as face in peril.  This match is great.  STERLING STORMS THE RING!  ALEX does things to his face!  Nese takes a Stuff Piledriver!  That was fun.

• Like 3

fuego-Juice was fine, I guess being in Laredo means we get guys in masks even if they’re white dudes from Alabama, and heat for threatening to unmask them. Kind of surprised that Juice is stuck with opening YouTube shows.

Athena beats someone’s ass, always fun, nothing new.

Big Bill and Lee Moriarty look as though they’re going to squash some dudes, but it ends up being a perfectly fine, competitive match. Big Bill shows some personality and cockiness.

Women’s trios was pretty disappointing given the participants. Shafir has improved to the point of not being a total detriment to a match or her opponents. Madison Rayne in-ring continues to be the weirdest signing but since she’s mostly YouTube or JTTS it’s not a huge deal. Very little of Willow in this match, and the whole thing was just kind of there.

Hobbs squashes some dude, gives his some stiff clobbering and then hits a particularly gnarly spinebuster. The literal book stuff is weird.

10-man was chaotic, fair amount of comedy, the kind of thing to make the fans happy because they get to see Dark Order, Best Friends, and Matt Hardy wrestle. The announcers totally missed that Butcher and Blade were part of the Hardy Family not even a year ago.

Oh boy, Lucha Brothers are back.. Funny moment from Tony Nese where he has Penta in the tree of woe and instead of a dropkick or cannonball he stops short, lies on his back, and kicks him while doing bicycle knee touches. Not much of Rey Fenix in this one, but he gets some impressive air and hang time on a cutter. I assume they’re going to be one of the teams in the PPV 4-way.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

An interesting aspect of this week's Dark Elevation was that Tony joined commentary due to Mark Sterling apparently banning Paul Wright from ringside....for some reason.

They filmed that match after the Rampage taping.

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

An interesting aspect of this week's Dark Elevation was that Tony joined commentary due to Mark Sterling apparently banning Paul Wright from ringside....for some reason.

Paul Wight usually buries Sterling on commentary, so maybe Smart Mark found a loophole in the First Amendment.

I'm as far through Dark as I'm getting tonight.

• Slim J vs Sydal is one of those matches I never knew I wanted but it was smooth as could be. Slim J really shines as a babyface but you can't say he doesn't play this role well. Taz giving the Trustbusters grief was pretty funny. This got a ton of time and shows the real joy of Dark.
  • I'm not sure about Julia singing her own theme. There's a fine line between spooky and show choir. On the other hand, her in ring style of baiting her opponent in really makes her stand out.
  • Holy crap did JD Drake kill that guy! That finisher was gnarly too. Why are these two not in the battle royal tomorrow, huh?
  • Renegades have come a long way. I need to go check out that NWA match with them.
  • Raju calling Lexy "Lex Express" caught me by surprise.
  • Oh hey, did anyone see that second of "Bomb TV" coming soon or whatever after the Workhorsemen match? Are we supposed to know what this is?
  • tv.png
    I just saw a tweet. It's saying QTV? This a QT Marshall gimmick? Makes sense with the bowling ball in the bomb
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm running late!  NWA went on forever!  It's Slim J!  He's wrestling Matt Sydell.  Well, this should be good.  They take it to the mat!  Sydel applies the first submission.  Sydell applies the second submission.  The Trustbusters CHEAT!  Slim J applies his first submission.  It morphs into his second submission.  Slim J hits some SWEET Short Lariats.  Sonny Kiss FINALLY cheats!  Sydell KICKS to go on offense.  Nearfalls begin.  Toprope Frankensteiner by Sydell FOR TWO!  Slim J hits a move I HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE AND IT WAS AWESOME.  FOR TWO!  Jeeves Kay fucks up!  LIGHTNING SPIRAL!  That was really good.  POSTMATCH!  Trustbusters and AR Fox/Top Flight with Matt Sydell appears to be set up!  Julia Hart is wearing her Stevie Nicks hat!  Devilyn Macabre is an indie Julia Hart.  Hart is laying it in!  Hart vs ATHENA!  That was a better Hart squash.  The Workhorseman take on two dudes and I await another Malachi Crunch joke from Taz.  But it never comes.  The Good Sisters!  Awesome!  More Renegade Sisters!  They dropped the NWA Women's titles 35 minutes ago on NWA!  The NWA match was better because Pretty Empowered beat the crud out of the Renegades and not just took a beating from the Renegades.  Go watch that.  Preston Vance takes on another faux luchador.  Another fake mask is acquired.  It's Tony Deppen!  It's Caleb Konley!  This should be good.  Deppen is a ROH re-signee, I'm supposing.  Konley lays it in.  NICE Fisherman Buster by Konley!  Nice German Suplex and the Will Ospreay finisher by Deppen for the win!  That was good.  The Iron Savages make GORDLOW PEE!  PEE! GORDLOW! PEE!  There is no way Boulder is 450 pounds.  They just need to reweigh the Iron Savages now that Bronson is a more REASONABLE weight.  Boulder CRUSHES the other dudes and then both Iron Savages crush the dudes.  Hey!  It's Jora Johl!  Where has he been?  Rohit Raju gives Dale Springs and Bryce Cannon a lot of offense.  SPINNING NECKBREAKER!  NICE Brainbuster by Johl!  Johl KICKS to win!  AWESOME! BILLIE STARKZ!  EMI! EMI! EMI!  Awesome!  Billie is an irritating upstart and EMI assumes the role of nicest Arisa Nakajima on earth.  Starkz gets in a bodyslam and EMI puts the boots to her!  TRIPLE SPANKYBUTT!  Great Romero Special.  They start laying it in!  This match is fucking GREAT!  TOMBSTONE by Starkz!  FOR TWO!  Starkz takes the fucking LUNATIC bump to the apron.  EMI fucking CRUSHES her against the stage!  Backbreaker FOR TWO!  MOONSAULT FOR THE WIN!  EMI is so fucking GREAT! Jesus Christ, sign Billie Starkz already.  That match was fucking AWESOME.  It's Bhodi from Chase University!  It's Dak Draper, who was on NWA PowerrR earlier tonight.  This is fine pro wrestling.   Dak Draper is the new Al Perez.  Peter Avalon does the ode to the Beautiful People ring entrance.  The Wingmen attack the other dudes and start killing them.  Cezar Binoni is Vader-esque.  Ryan Nemeth is fun making with the Strange Style and undulating groinal region!  WINGMEN! WINGMEN! WINGMEN!  Jeff Jarrett!  PEE! GORDLOW! PEE!  Satnam Singh!  It's the Boys!  Jarrett is a HEAT MACHINE!  SATNAM STRUTS!  Okay, Satnam Singh is the greatest Squash wrestler ever.  Jarrett comes in and gives the Boys some offense.  Satnam destroys the Boys finally!  Jarrett freaks out postmatch and Satnam chucks the Boys to the floor.  BILLION STARS!  It's Tony Nese!  Trent Barretta!  This should be good.  They do a Mid-Atlantic studio match and it's awesome.  This match is GREAT.  I assume they are still best friends because they are giving everything to each other.  Trent is taking an ass beating like a KING.  Trent Backdrops to transition to offense.  This match is fucking great.  Man, Tony Nese looks fucking great in this.  Trent is the secret Wrestling Machine of AEW.  SWEET SUPERPLEX by Trent!  GREAT FUCKING TEQUILA SUNRISE SUPLEX by Trent!  GREAT K DRILLER By NESE!  FOR TWO!  Nese with the Frogsplash for TWO!  MORE NEARFALLS!  Nese wants TOO MUCH after CRUSHING Trent in the corner.  He misses the 450 and Trent destroys him for the win.  This the best WCW Saturday Night that I can remember.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tonight's Dark was an amazing thrill ride. References to Tom Zenk and Duran Duran! Tazz calling Slim J a sketchy cat! Emi and Billie practically killing each other! Tazz being annoyed by large sodas! Sketchy math regarding Bear Boulder! And of course, lots of HIP THRUSTING

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 5