DVDVR Message Board

2023 Game Deals, Subscription Services, Etc.

Kevin Wilson

Shoot, doesn't even need to be half-off. Forty percent off is enough for me. 

I do want a Series X, but I already have a PS5 and Switch and am having a hard time justifying paying full price for a Series X. 

Nintendo should have just added these and hoped no one noticed, rather than announcing it and expecting anyone to get excited.

Four "classic" titles were added to Nintendo Switch online:

Game Boy

Kirby’s Dream Land 2
BurgerTime Deluxe

Super NES

SIDE POCKET

NES

XEVIOUS

Its like they are going out of their way to not add the games people want, very Nintendo.

The Steam Spring Sale is on and like most of the seasonal sales there's 50000 things at 20% off when you just want one thing at 80% off, but having said that I did grab Jedi: Fallen Order since it's 90% off and it's impossible to get hurt at that price point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The Steam Spring Sale is on and like most of the seasonal sales there's 50000 things at 20% off when you just want one thing at 80% off, but having said that I did grab Jedi: Fallen Order since it's 90% off and it's impossible to get hurt at that price point.

Yeah, my wishlist is full of games that I'd love to pay $9 for that are still $14-$20.

• Like 1

I’m kind of sad that Steam doesn’t have the Borderlands Legendary edition like the consoles have.

And the ultimate edition of the third game is still like $30. It’s been over three years, come on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ubisoft+ is finally coming to XBOX

HOWEVER it will be its on standalone service (by contrast EA Play comes with Game Pass Ultimate)

Ubisoft+ will cost $18 a month (for frame of reference - Game Pass Ultimate is $15 a month)

One plus for Ubisoft will be that all new releases will be available on Day 1

The list of games is as follows (side note - some Ubisoft titles will still be available on Game Pass)

Spoiler

Anno 1800 (Xbox Series X|S only)
Assassin’s Creed Rogue Remastered
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (includes Assassin’s Creed Liberation)
Assassin’s Creed Unity (Gold Edition)
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Ultimate Edition)
Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China, India, and Russia
Assassin’s Creed III Remastered
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Deluxe Edition)
Assassin’s Creed Origins (Gold Edition)
Assassin’s Creed Syndicate (Gold Edition)
Assassin’s Creed: The Ezio Collection
Battleship
Boggle
Child of Light (Gold Edition)
Family Feud
Far Cry Primal (Deluxe Edition)
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (Classic Edition)
Far Cry 3 (Classic Edition)
Far Cry 4 (Gold Edition)
Far Cry 5 (Gold Edition)
Far Cry 6 (Gold Edition)
Far Cry: New Dawn (Deluxe Edition)
Fighter Within
For Honor
Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Ultimate Edition)
Ghost Recon Wildlands (Ultimate Edition)
Grow Up
Hungry Shark World
Immortals Fenyx Rising (Gold Edition)
Jeopardy!
Monopoly Plus
Monopoly Madness
Rabbids Invasion: The Interactive TV Show (Gold Edition)
Rabbids Party of Legends
Rainbow Six Extraction
Rainbow Six Siege (Deluxe Edition)
Rayman Legends
Riders Republic
Risk
Risk: Urban Assault
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game
Scrabble
Shape Up (Gold Edition)
South Park: The Fractured But Whole (Gold Edition)
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Starlink: Battle for Atlas (Deluxe Edition)
Steep
The Crew (Ultimate Edition)
The Crew 2
The Division (Gold Edition)
The Division 2
Trackmania Turbo
Transference
Trials Fusion
Trials of the Blood Dragon
Trials Rising (Gold Edition)
Trivial Pursuit Live
Trivial Pursuit Live 2
UNO (Ultimate Edition)
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Watch Dogs (Complete Edition)
Watch Dogs 2 (Gold Edition)
Watch Dogs: Legion (Deluxe Edition)
Wheel of Fortune
Zombi

15 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Math GIFs | Tenor

Trying to keep track of how having 77 different subscriptions is saving us money

Lol,  I've decided that I'm not signing up for anything else without canceling a current subscription. There was a time where I couldn't even remember what I was signed up for,  then I got a new card and a lot of stuff lapsed. 

• Like 1

I decided to let my PS Plus Premium expire next month and drop down to Essentials. I didn't intentionally get it - I had Playstation Now and Plus so when the service launched I got it automatically. But I realized the other day I use GamePass 90% of the time, NSO 7%, and Playstation Plus 3%. I'll keep NSO since its cheap and I like the Mario Kart courses being added but I couldn't justify keeping all three of them, something had to give.

I have PS Plus Premium and NSO. I'm not sure that I use either as much as I probably should, but the way I see it, if I play at least two games a year on Premium or one on NSO that I don't have to pay for, that's good enough for me.

I just finished Tchia on Premium and I am working through Minish Cap and Fusion on NSO. To me, they've probably already paid for themselves. Maybe I need to play one more game on Premium. I'd rather pay for a subscription than spend money on every interesting game that comes out. I'd have been irritated if I'd paid full price for Tchia, which I was going to do before it dropped on PS Plus.

Funny enough, when I get an XSX, I'm not even bothering with Gamepass. I'll just buy the couple of XSX games that I want on disc (Outer Worlds 2, probably the next Fallout, whatever Double Fine does as long as it's not a Brutal Legend sequel) and then use it as a box for my OG Xbox and 360 games).

But yeah, I don't see how anyone could use all three services. NSO is unique in its offerings, so that lives or dies with how much you like those retro offerings, but GamePass and Premium duplicate one another a bit too much, Microsoft first-party offerings on Gamepass aside. 

On 4/19/2023 at 12:15 PM, SirSmUgly said:

Funny enough, when I get an XSX, I'm not even bothering with Gamepass. I'll just buy the couple of XSX games that I want on disc (Outer Worlds 2, probably the next Fallout, whatever Double Fine does as long as it's not a Brutal Legend sequel) and then use it as a box for my OG Xbox and 360 games).

As someone who has all three, you are doing this backwards.  Gamepass is superior to PS Plus Premium in almost every way, and the primary reason to even own an Xbox.  For the most part, you are going to have to pay to play Playstation games at launch, but if you have Gamepass all Xbox exclusives will be free at launch.  Unless you really want to have hard copies of Xbox games, it's a much better deal for you if you get Gamepass and pay for Playstation games as they come out.  For me, my Xbox is my main gaming system if I'm playing any game that is out for both systems, but the Playstation is strictly for exclusives.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Unless you really want to have hard copies of Xbox games

I do. I prefer physical releases for full-price games that I want at launch. 

I want to play TOW2 every few years without having to keep a subscription. Or Psychonauts 3. Or whatever. 

And when I do buy on-sale digital games, I want those games on my PlayStation now that I'm in that ecosystem. Getting Gamepass over PS Plus makes zero sense for my situation and preferences. But I'm sure it's very good for most! 

On 4/19/2023 at 11:15 AM, SirSmUgly said:

then use it as a box for my OG Xbox and 360 games

You're probably good for anything 360 you have since around half of the games released for that console work, but the number of OG Xbox games that work on Series X is around like 60ish. So, good news if you're trying to play Chicken Little. Bad news if you're trying to play hard copies of Halo 1 or 2 for some reason.

Edited by Casey

Kevin's post reminded me that I haven't touched my PS4 in almost two years yet I still pay for Plus.  It automatically renewed for 6 months so I'll unsubscribe and let it end when the time comes.  NSO gets plenty of use between the retro stuff and folks in our family plan using it.  And Gamepass is by far the number one thing I use.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

You're probably good for anything 360 you have since around half of the games released for that console work, but the number of OG Xbox games that work on Series X is around like 60ish. So, good news if you're trying to play Chicken Little. Bad news if you're trying to play hard copies of Halo 1 or 2 for some reason.

It was about a ninety-game list for OG Xbox compatibility on 360. Did it go down? I recall Halo CE and Halo 2 being backwards compatible on 360.

I guess they want you to buy that Halo legacy collection instead.