DVDVR Message Board

2013 Yes/No: Pro Wrestling NOAH and Diamond Ring

Kevin Wilson

Here is where you can nominate and vote for matches from promotions listed in the thread title.  Before you nominate a match, please make sure it wasn't already nominated.  In this first post I will keep track of all the nominated matches and I will update it every few days or so which should make things easier.  Happy voting!

Nominated (through 1/12 at 01:30 PM):

1/6 KENTA vs. Takeshi Morishima - 4 yes, 0 no
1/27 KENTA vs. Takeshi Morishima - 1 yes, 1 no
1/27 Shuji Kondo vs. Taiji Ishimori - 2 yes, 0 no
2/6 KENTA vs. Toru Yano - 1 yes, 1 no
3/22 Takeshi Morishima and Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kensuke Sasaski and Katsuhiko Nakajima - 1 yes, 0 no
4/28 KENTA and Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Kensuke Sasaski and Katsuhiko Nakajima - 1 yes, 0 no
5/11 Kobashi, Mutoh, Akiyama, and Sasaki vs. KENTA, Shiozaki, Kanemaru, and Taniguchi - 5 yes, 0 no
5/12 KENTA vs. Takashi Sugiura - 2 yes, 0 no
7/7 KENTA vs. Marufuji - 2 yes, 1 no
8/4 Taiji Ishimori vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - 2 yes, 0 no
8/24 KENTA and Takashi Sugiura vs. Naomichi Marufuji and Shinsuke Nakamura - 3 yes, 0 no
10/5 KENTA vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima - 1 yes, 0 no
11/27 - KENTA and Takashi Sugiura vs. Yuji Nagata and Daisuke Sekimoto - 2 yes, 0 no

Nominating:

Kenta Kobashi/Keiji Mutoh/Jun Akiyama/Kensuke Sasaki vs. KENTA/Go Shiozaki/Yoshinobu Kanemaru/Maybach Taniguchi, NOAH Final Burning. Doubt I'll be the only person to vote for this. The legendary Kenta Kobashi's final wrestling match and it was moving to see him go out on a performance like this. That's all I wanted as a big fan of Kenta Kobashi.

NOMINATE

KENTA vs. MARUFUJI (07/07.2013)

C&P'd from the Puro Omnibus: I really like Kenta's early work on the torso, and that Marufuji was actually mindful of it through most of the match. I particularly like that when Maru would try to make come backs Kenta would just pop him in the stomache to make distance. Also KENTA just nonchalantly stepping off the apron on to Maru's chest. The apron spots almost feel like a little much, but they made since in context. Marufuji was way behind at both points(the piledriver and later the shiranui) and needed an equalizer. I also like the battle for the dive, with KENTA getting The botches were unfortunate but I don't feel like they killed the match. Particularly whatever they were going to do up top, which, while it wasn't what they planned, felt like two guys who didn't want to to let the other guy do something so they both crashed.

• 2 weeks later...

5/11 Kobashi, Mutoh, Akiyama, and Sasaki vs. KENTA, Shiozaki, Kanemaru, and Taniguchi - YES

7/7 KENTA vs. Marufuji - YES

NOMINATE:

1/27 KENTA vs. Takeshi Morishima

1/27 Shuji Kondo vs. Taiji Ishimori

3/22 Takeshi Morishima & Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kensuke Sasaski & Katsuhiko Nakajima

4/28 KENTA & Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Kensuke Sasaski & Katsuhiko Nakajima

5/12 KENTA vs. Takashi Sugiura

8/4 Taiji Ishimori vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

10/5 KENTA vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima

NOMINATING: KENTA -vs- Takeshi  Morishima 1/6
Well fuck. Who said watching 2013 NOAH doesn't pay off? The biggest complaints about their matches are usually about their length and/or layout. That's not the case here. Just two dudes who don't like each other hitting each other really hard. Strike-off segments get a pass because 1)they're awesome and 2)it wasn't a title match and 3)they are really, really awesome. Since the level of importance was a little lower they didn't go overboard with the nearfalls and Korauken bit on those which they did have and they also bothered to do a proper build up to them. Also FINISH OF THE FUCKING YEAR. No way anything tops it. Trust me, you want this.

Yes to the Kobashi retirement match

YES to Kobashi retirement tag but it's not a resounding yes. Too much Taniguchi. Way too much Taniguchi.

YES to KENTA/Morishima from 1/6

YES to KENTA/Sugiura from 5/12

NO to KENTA/Marufuji 7/7

NOMINATE - KENTA and Takashi Sugiura vs. Naomichi Marufuji and Shinsuke Nakamura; NOAH 8/24

Nakamura is a megastar in Korakuen as he teams with Marufuji to take on the two top dogs in No Mercy. The Marufuji segments kinda drag a bit but Nakamura is the highlight of this match. He works so well in this match because he has KENTA and Suguira in there and they can match him both in bravado and (to a degree) shoot ability. Way better than I was expecting it to be.

NOMINATE - KENTA and Takashi Sugiura vs. Yuji Nagata and Daisuke Sekimoto; NOAH 11/27

KENTA and Nagata HATE THE FUCK out of each other and that's really awesome and all, but Sekimoto and Sugiura going at it puts this match over the top for me. Sekimoto really shined in this match in a way he didn't really get to in any of his Global League matches and I think it's more because the pairing of him and Sugiura works so much better. They can match each other with strikes and brute force, the latter of which KENTA couldn't do in their singles match.

YES to the Kobashi retirement for all the reasons everyone else will YES it

YES to Kondo/Ishimori.1/27 I either YES'd this or nominated it on the old board so YES again here. brutal match with a guy I never cared about before (Ishimori) giving a surprisingly convincing, hard-won performance as the underdog who just won't quit, no matter how huge of an ass whooping is being dished out but Kondo, who is always great. a clear homage to the classic Marufuji vs Takaiwa title match from back in the early days of NOAH.

big NO to KENTA/Morishima from 1/27. I must have missed something with this one. thought the match was heatless, directionless, and had an awkward finish that probably sounded better on paper. zero chemistry between two guys who have been working together for over a decade. I'll have to see the 1/6 match and see what they did differently. 

conversely a big YES to Ishimori/Sabre Jr. thought it was a super fun juniors match and stood out from the typical excessive NOAH juniors style because of Sabre's freaky cool submission stuff. Sabre doesn't seem entirely comfortable in his roles as the cocky British heel (I get the feeling NOAH wants him to be their version of Devitt) but what the character lacks in charisma is more than compensated by his intensity in the ring. I marked out for the spot where Ishimori went for a leapfrog and Zach caught him mid-air by the lef and dropped him down into an ankle hold (that's how I remember it going down anyway/ feel free to correct me!). this is a match-up I'd like to see develop into an ongoing rivalry. . 

also, 
people will probably shit on me for this but I'm nominating 

2/6 KENTA vs TORU YANO (GHC title): there are two very obviously bad things about this otherwise awesome match, one very forgivable and one I'm willing to admit is stupidly unforgivable. 
FORGIVABLE FLAW; the: the fact that Yano is reeeeealllllly sssssslllllooooowwwww on his feet. he tries valiantly to keep up with KENTA during all the crazy rapid-fire exchanges that have kind of been KENTA's signature over the years, but he looks hokey and oafish doing it, almost like he's being deliberately goofy. maybe it was intentional comedy? may as well, right? it's not like anyone came into this one expecting Yano to keep up with KENTA every step of the way and start busting out avalanche-style Oni Koroshi's (I wish), why not just draw attention to their difference in size and mobility? that's what they do here, and it varies between silly and weirdly amusing. business-exposing as it is, it's fun watching Yano try his damndest to move like a luchadore
UNFORGIVABLE FLAW: the stupid table spot where KENTA jumps off the top rope, onto Yano, who is already KO'd, precariously lying down in the audience area. so you have KENTA, who is The Champ and clearly ranked much higher than his portly underdog challenger, and for some reason The Champ he feels that Yano is such a threat to his still-young title reign that he needs to not only beat him unconscious outside the ring but to also RISK HIS (KENTA's) OWN SAFETY by leaping from the top rope onto Yano with a double-stop onto the cement floor. this is all after he's already just nailed Yano with a table bump, mind you. it's the kind of dopey backyarder excess that makes people dismiss KENTA and his spot-crazy peers/imitators outright, and it bothered me a lot in this match. 

THOSE FLAWS ASIDE: the match is pure wild fun and people should really give it a chance. Yano must have studied the KENTA/SUWA epic from back in the day or something. he just keeps irritating the HELL out of KENTA and KENTA keeps firing back and with each beating the crowd just wants KENTA to draw more and more blood, and with each of Yano's sneaky evasions the crowd just hates him more and more. plus a few legit well-timed near falls that, should the entire world have gone topsy-turvey during the closing moments of this match, could have served as a halfway-believable Yano title win. it's a novelty title match for sure, and certainly a flawed one, but one I'm willing to gush about and nominate on here. 

Yes to KENTA/Sugiura vs Nakamura/Marufuji-Sugiura and Nakamura are wonderful and will punch each other in the face if necessary. KENTA's awesome at just striking people really hard and Marufuji held his own too. Interpromotional hate is the best.

YES to 1/6 KENTA vs. Takeshi Morishima. Very cool how they tease early on that KENTA might be in over his head trying to trade with Morishima before having him overcome that size difference through the power in his strikes and sheer determination. Sets up really well for his heavyweight reign. Also doesn't hurt that they spend the match mauling each other starting from the opening bell.