DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/25/2023

The Natural

I had tears in my eyes for most of the main event. That match was a fitting tribute, and I can't imagine what deep emotions both Mark and Jay were feeling through it.  The ending was perfect.

Rest of the show was really entertaining. Superb in ring. I really love the chemistry that Hook and Jungle Boy have. Another week, another amazing Bryan Danielson match. That Thatcher match next week is going to be beautifully violent. Pumped for Page/Mox 3.

Get well soon @DEAN 👊🏽👊🏽

• Like 11

Nothing wrong with the wrestling tonight, just understandably flat for the majority. That said, Storm and Soho really laid their shit in deep.

Terrific main event. Lethal a pros pro in the face of being an emotional wreck and a wonderful tribute to Jay as well as a showcase for Mark. Anyone unfamiliar with Mark would have emerged a fan after such a great match. 

Knock that shit out of the park @DEAN

Edited by matwarz
  • Like 2

First off, get well to Dean. God, hospitalization sucks. 

That was a fine show. On the Discord we were wondering how they were gonna squeeze everything in but it ended up being perfectly timed. 

Opener was hot. Andretti is gonna be pretty popular. The dual red on JAS made Sammy look like Nakamura and Jericho look like Mutoh imitating Nakamura but having to wear the kneepads. 

Darby needs to learn some llave from Angelico or subs from Danielson so as to extend his career. Buddy was a powerhouse. 

Guns/Acclaimed was... quick enough. So was the Hook match because it's supposed to be. 

Danielson/Cage told a nice little story that had an awesome follow up (after a gratingly long MJF interview) in that TIMMY THATCHER is coming all the way from NOAH to dismember Bryan. That made it aaaaaaall worth it. 

The women's match was sadly again put in the cooler spot, BUT! They kept it hot, and stiff as fuck. Ruby had to have thought "I'm wrestling Toni so I better potato her the whole time", and she sure as shit did. Finish was a little eye-rolling but overall the match was great and maybe my fave on the card. Lots of solid angle advancement on this show while also being about 80% wrestling. 

Of course I started crying as soon as I saw Lethal's face. Then Mark comes out as if nothing had happened and he was his same crazy-ass self. I think he threw in some extra "hi-ya"s because of silent spots and because it was getting big reactions. The table spot was NUTS. Then everyone in the back came out. It was very, very classy and I think way way WAY better than a ten-bell salute under the circumstances. Their video package was also incredibly sweet, too. And much love to Riccabone/Caprice! AEW, stay classy my friends. 

• Like 10

Solid show tonight. I particularly enjoyed Darby/Matthews, Toni/Ruby, and of course, the main event.

I can't imagine what Lethal and Mark Briscoe were going through. They put on a hell of a match. I loved Tony and the ROH alumni coming out after the match. The whole thing had me teary eyed. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Im in the hospital on ivs with antibiotics.  Hopefully this will all get settled.

Get well soon, chief.

I cried my eyes out during that main event. The video tribute earlier broke me, and when Lethal walked out already crying I just lost it. Then Ian had me ugly crying with his beautiful lines. And the match was great. It was wonderful.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 4

I'm curious as to what will happen with the ROH tag team championship. Will Mark get to pick a new partner and continue to defend the titles?

Personally, I'd like to see Mark vacate the tag titles and go after the ROH world title. Then, have new tag champions crowned in the first ever Jay Briscoe Memorial tag team tournament.  

• Like 6

Great show but my desire for an agent or filter for match layouts continues.

We had Reverse/Poison Ranas is the first two matches and multiple Buckle Bombs across the show.
It reminds of the scene in The Wrestler when the guys are all "You can't work the arm tonight. We're working the arm. Why don't you work the neck?"

Edit your stuff people.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm curious as to what will happen with the ROH tag team championship. Will Mark get to pick a new partner and continue to defend the titles?

Personally, I'd like to see Mark vacate the tag titles and go after the ROH world title. Then, have new tag champions crowned in the first ever Jay Briscoe Memorial tag team tournament.  

I won't lie, part of me kinda thought he was gonna hand one of em to Lethal at the end.

Must admit I chuckled at the timing of Bryan Danielson/Brian Cage with twiztor asking me about the weakest Bryan Danielson matches. I came up with Bryan/Big Ass at WWE Great Balls of Fire 2017 and Danielson/Miro from AEW Full Gear 2021. Both were better.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

My paranoid ass was sure that AEW's notorious issues with timing out shows would mean that the main would only get like 10 minutes. Especially with the beatdown after the Danielson-Cage match seeming to take forever. Thankfully they kept the therapy scene brisk, leaving time for a great Storm-Ruby match and plenty of time for the main.

I'm actually kind of putting the underwhelmingness of the match on Danielson. He didn't seem to know how to take a lot of Cage's offence. Some really awkward bumps and transitions. Cage is not a super worker but fun power sprints are in his wheelhouse and it seemed like Bryan was trying to make him wrestle a different match altogether. Next week should be great though, because Thatcher can bring the kind of match that Bryan seems mostly interested in wrestling these days.

Main event was perfect.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was thinking today Mark/ FTR Freebirds ruies.

• Like 4