DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/25/2023

The Natural

28 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i absolutely agree. Danielson is fucking awesome.

what do you think his worst AEW match was? how about bad matches from his WWE run?

Good question. Have to think long and hard on that. Off the top of my head, Big Cass/Ass at WWE Great Balls of Fire 2017 and vs. Miro at AEW Full Gear 2021. That was so disappointing.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Big wow. Rupp is going to be very dusty tomorrow night... and did they Photoshop Mark's front teeth?

I normally skip Jay Lethal but won't here. The Natural will be beefing in the early hours of Thursday morning. Amazing this is happening. Kudos to Tony Khan and particularly Mark Briscoe.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I normally skip Jay Lethal but won't here. The Natural will be beefing in the early hours of Thursday morning. Amazing this is happening. Kudos to Tony Khan and particularly Mark Briscoe.

I mean if they need a partner for Mark to defend the titles... 🤔

26 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So either Tony was able to stand up to the execs and told them we are getting Mark Briscoe no matter what or this is going to be some incredible bullshit that is going to pissed off a ton of people

This is so fucked up to say (so let me clarify this is NOT my personal opinion out of the gate) but I could imagine the brass thinking, "Well, Mark wasn't the one who tweeted X Y and Z..."

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So either Tony was able to stand up to the execs and told them we are getting Mark Briscoe no matter what or this is going to be some incredible bullshit that is going to pissed off a ton of people

Jay's tweets were the cause of the issues with the WB execs, so it's a really gross decision if, "well, Mark's okay on his own", even if I appreciate the opportunity for him to be there IF HE WANTS TO.  I just can't imagine him being in that state of mind a week after Jay's passing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Jay's tweets were the cause of the issues with the WB execs, so it's a really gross decision if, "well, Mark's okay on his own", even if I appreciate the opportunity for him to be there IF HE WANTS TO.  I just can't imagine him being in that state of mind a week after Jay's passing.

This wouldn’t be happening if he didn’t want it to. Getting some Bret vs Benoit vibes, and I like it. 

• Like 3

So apparently they are allowed to run the Jay Briscoe tribute tomorrow night according to Meltzer.    Strange the complete reversal from the execs.   Maybe the backlash to the unsuccessful (based on ratings)  trash known as Slap Fight made them change things.

41 minutes ago, Log said:

Has there been an actual report that anyone from WBD blocked the tribute last week or was that just conjecture based on earlier decisions regarding the Briscoes?

Awful announcing did a post about it, but their only source was what Dave said on wor. 

2 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

I have zero doubt Mark wants to be there. I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to work out his emotions in the ring, and Lethal is the perfect dance partner... a long-time friend he can trust to deliver a hell of a match on demand.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have zero doubt Mark wants to be there. I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to work out his emotions in the ring, and Lethal is the perfect dance partner... a long-time friend he can trust to deliver a hell of a match on demand.

Yeah, Lethal is absolutely the right person to put him with.  That much I totally support.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Log said:

We need Danielson/Jarrett with JJ in full-on Memphis bullshit mode. Danielson as Lawler might be a Danielson we’ve never seen. 

I was not a fan of JJ coming in but he's perfectly fine in this midcard role.

It's honestly what Jericho should have been doing with the JAS stuff from the start.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

It's an absolute shame a tragedy like this had to happen for a Briscoe to be on TV.  That exec, or whoever is behind them being blacklisted from AEW TV is an asshole, plain and simple.  

It sucks too not just only because Jay's now passed, but because (and obviously we've all covered it, and in all actuality, it's probably getting uncool to touch on any further at this point) the whole shift in belief with regard to the original thing - we're country boys who thought we were taking a stand for God, but we were wrong because God loves everyone, and now we do too- I mean, as far as apologies go (and I said this when he was alive too, so my opinion's not in any way changed or colored by his death) that's pretty fucking hard to trump in my book. I listen to this psychology podcast, and there was a recent episode about all the components an apology should have, and this one pretty much hit em all: explanation, remorse, promise to avoid, change in behavior.

So that's kind of the shit of it in my book, is that rather than run from some dumb, imagined potential PR nightmare that probably would've never materialized, they should've looked at it like an opportunity to show what real, meaningful change could look like. 

I mean, fuck 'Be A Star,' imagine if they did one of those PSAs like Eddie Kingston and Hobbs did for mental health awareness, or some of the others they've done for Pride month and Black history month? 

Legit missed opportunity. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah, The Briscoe’s are literal workers. These guys would probably still work even if they shot the ground, and a billion of dollars worth of oil, gold, Bitcoins, caviar, Frenchies, NFT’s came gushing out from under.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah, The Briscoe’s are literal workers. These guys would probably still work even if they shot the ground, and a billion of dollars worth of oil, gold, Bitcoins, caviar, Frenchies, NFT’s came gushing out from under.

That makes me wish they remade a certain TV show with the Bricsoes. The Sandy Fork Hillbillies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

A lot of people are forgetting that there was also homophobic content posted on one Mark Pugh's Facebook in 2011 that got dug up when Jay's tweet hit a few years later. Still not grounds for a lifetime TV ban and I'll still believe talent that says they are/were changed men, but the idea that Mark was a completely innocent victim of Jay's tweet isn't telling the whole story.

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I was not a fan of JJ coming in but he's perfectly fine in this midcard role.

It's honestly what Jericho should have been doing with the JAS stuff from the start.

He kinda is doing Memphis from the 80's if you think about it. A huge overloaded stable and fireballs.

As for the notion of Bryan vs. Jarrett, I only want to see it if it's Double J Double M A fighting him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

He kinda is doing Memphis from the 80's if you think about it. A huge overloaded stable and fireballs.

As for the notion of Bryan vs. Jarrett, I only want to see it if it's Double J Double M A fighting him.

Ditto.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

women’s triple threat is now just Soho vs Storm. No reason give as to why Britt is out of the match.

I'm okay with this change! I mean, I'm personally a Baker fan so its a little disappointing but I think a Soho/Storm match will deliver more than a triple threat.

• Like 1