DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022-23: CONFERENCE CATACLYSM WEEKEND!

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Travis Kelce choosing violence in the post game celebration 

in the scheme of things, maybe the Mayor of Cincinnati doing a Twitter video for a resolution calling Burrow Mahome's daddy was a bad sign for the Bengals?

Kelce's a Cleveland suburbs native, so if anybody is qualified to go in on Cincinnati, even if Kelce was a Bearcat in College.

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm not quite aware of this but am curious how they were annoying.  From an outsider POV there was a horrible situation where Cincy and Buffalo's coaches did the right thing and there seemed to be lots of love between both teams.  As a result while I was rooting for Buffalo I would have been happy to see Cincy go to the SB.  I feel like I'm missing something and if there's things to check out please let me know either here or PM.

But I will say as a result of the previous paragraph not being super high on Mahomes I would have rather seen Cincy go to the SB over KC.  Though looking at both games while I dig SF Purdy's injury ultimately meant the end of their season.  And KC by rights should have lost but the way Cincy was looking I think SB would have been an epic ass whooping by Philly.  At least now we have an interesting SB and while I'll be rooting for Philly I'll be fine either way as long as the game is good.

The thing is, all three top teams were hurt in some way by the NFL's reaction to the cancelled game (some more than others but no one was unscathed). Bills lost the #1 seed without losing, Bengals lost their chance at the #1 or #2 seed, KC lost homefield vs. Bills if they reached the title game. But only the Bengals coach complained (wrongly saying it was "only positives" for other teams even though the Bills lost the #1 seed) as well as the Bengals EVP, the Mixon coin flip celebration, and a few players commented on Twitter about it complaining. Point being, the Bills and Chiefs players/coaches didn't complain, just the Bengals, about a situation they were just doing the best they could with. If the Bengals players/coaches decided to use that for "motivation" (see Burrow's comments after the Bills game, Eli Apple's snipping about the Bills which is getting him cooked on Twitter right now, etc.) then good for them, but clearly they used up that energy early since they aren't going to the Super Bowl either.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The thing is, all three top teams were hurt in some way by the NFL's reaction to the cancelled game (some more than others but no one was unscathed). Bills lost the #1 seed without losing, Bengals lost their chance at the #2 or #3 seed, KC lost homefield vs. Bills if they reached the title game. But only the Bengals coach complained (wrongly saying it was "only positives" for other teams even though the Bills lost the #1 seed) as well as the Bengals EVP, the Mixon coin flip celebration, and a few players commented on Twitter about it complaining. Point being, the Bills and Chiefs players/coaches didn't complain, just the Bengals, about a situation they were just doing the best they could with. If the Bengals players/coaches decided to use that for "motivation" (see Burrow's comments after the Bills game, Eli Apple's snipping about the Bills which is getting him cooked on Twitter right now, etc.) then good for them, but clearly they used up that energy early since they aren't going to the Super Bowl either.

Thank you kindly.  I will admit that my main source for all this was the limited time I would tune into NFL Network and particularly NFL Now if I had time to watch it.  I do still feel Cincy was great dealing with the Hamlin situation and even after those articles still feel that way.  But looking at the links you posted yeah I'm in agreement with you.  That doesn't necessarily mean I'm all "Fuck the Bengals"  But it is really nice to have that perspective so I know whether my support was warranted or not.  At this point with me it's too early to tell.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That's why I feel zero sympathy for the Bengals or their fans, they went from fun underdog to cocky and annoying this year with how they reacted to the scheduling changes and then how they acted after the Bills game. Then the whole "Burrowhead" nonsense, they just were awfully full of themselves for a team with zero SB wins. I don't love KC either but it just felt like the right result this year.

Still hurt your team got trounced by Cincy eh

What an atrocious call to throw it to KC. Both championship games were awfully officiated. Of course, that’s why all those fans were there and watching at home, to see them refs throw flags real good. Peak form. The real stars of the show. 

• Like 2

Eagles vs. the long-time former head coach 

Kelce brother vs. Kelce brother

and for the first time ever, black QB vs. black QB

...and yes, sadly, somewhere in the suburbs of Philly, there's still some middle-aged white guys grumbling about how "Wentz coulda done this too if we'd given him all these weapons", long past the time when they could still hide their desire for a white QB as "reservations about Jalen's ceiling as a starting QB"...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Wait there’s actually a rationale to when they call holding? I thought it was just based on who the refs want to win

It's almost never called if the hands are inside. It's still kinda hit or miss when they go outside the body, but, yeah, high school or maybe low level college is the only spot you'll see calls for holding inside the guys shoulders

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's almost never called if the hands are inside. It's still kinda hit or miss when they go outside the body, but, yeah, high school or maybe low level college is the only spot you'll see calls for holding inside the guys shoulders

The way it's written almost every block is a hold,  but pretty much no one at any level is going to call a hold if the hands stay inside the shoulders. Its often taught to try to grab under the shoulder pads, which is technically holding but nobody would throw a flag for it. 

23 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The way it's written almost every block is a hold,  but pretty much no one at any level is going to call a hold if the hands stay inside the shoulders. Its often taught to try to grab under the shoulder pads, which is technically holding but nobody would throw a flag for it. 

That’s bullshit. They call borderline holding calls all the time on “bad” teams and let “good” teams get away with tackling DE’s

Source: Texans fan. I’m sure Lions can world agree.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

That’s bullshit. They call borderline holding calls all the time on “bad” teams and let “good” teams get away with tackling DE’s

The way its written,  it's almost impossible to legally block anyone.  The rule says you can't use your arms and hands to alter a defenders path,  which is pretty much every block that has ever happened. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Wait there’s actually a rationale to when they call holding? I thought it was just based on who the refs want to win

Always throw it on a kick/punt return if it’s longer than the normal return distance (unless he goes all the way)

Sometimes throw it on a running play to keep teams from using effective running as a rest hold and force them into more exciting passing downs

Try to avoid throwing the flag on passing plays unless it’s too flagrant for you to credibly ignore because that’s the exciting stuff

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I recall when the Lions got an OL from Green Bay. He'd gone the entire season the year before without a holding call but got called twice or three times very quickly with Detroit. He was asked what was different from the year before. And his answer was, "what do you think?" while strongly implying he was talking about his jersey. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

I recall when the Lions got an OL from Green Bay. He'd gone the entire season the year before without a holding call but got called twice or three times very quickly with Detroit. He was asked what was different from the year before. And his answer was, "what do you think?" while strongly implying he was talking about his jersey. 

Or a pass rusher somehow getting called for facemasking for the first and second time in his career in the same game...

• Like 2