DVDVR Message Board

RIP Jay Briscoe

Matt D

2 hours ago, Peck said:

https://dsp.delaware.gov/2023/01/18/state-police-investigating-two-vehicle-fatal-accident-2/

27 year old female crossed center line and hit Jay head-on. She was wearing a seat belt and died. He was not wearing a selt belt. Thankfully he did properly restrain his girls.

Not to be too patronizing to people who don’t wear their seatbelts but it just seems weird and reckless to me to drive anything without being secured. Like I know people could have had negative impressions of seatbelts growing up and people they ride with might not wear them. But it feels like you’d want something to not tossed around while driving.

• Like 3

I got to meet Jay randomly once at an ROH show in Toronto. It was during the show...he was watching from the players bench area at Ted Reeves Arena and I was standing by there. Went to go say hello, and chatted for a bit. Asked for a picture. He said no and walked away. 10 seconds later he came back with a smile and said he was busting my balls and took a picture with me. 

Jay was such a talented dude and from what I've read a dedicated father and husband. My heart breaks for Mark and their family. Such a tragic loss. RIP 🙏🏽

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Not to be too patronizing to people who don’t wear their seatbelts but it just seems weird and reckless to me to drive anything without being secured. Like I know people could have had negative impressions of seatbelts growing up and people they ride with might not wear them. But it feels like you’d want something to not tossed around while driving.

I've actually seen a surprising number of folks commenting today elsewhere online that a lot of the more rural/country -type folks in their lives don't wear them because of equipment safety concerns on the farm (for example, getting trapped under a tipped tractor) - it was the first id heard of this sort of thing, but it would certainly track. All around awful. I keep hoping for good news on the daughters.

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've actually seen a surprising number of folks commenting today elsewhere online that a lot of the more rural/country -type folks in their lives don't wear them because of equipment safety concerns on the farm (for example, getting trapped under a tipped tractor) - it was the first id heard of this sort of thing, but it would certainly track. All around awful. I keep hoping for good news on the daughters.

He might've been one of those "I want to be thrown clear from the wreckage" types as well. Which wouldn't explain why he buckled in his kids.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

He might've been one of those "I want to be thrown clear from the wreckage" types as well. Which wouldn't explain why he buckled in his kids.

Yeah, I'm too 'city folk' to even try and understand the thought process, but the sheer volume of similar comments was definitely kinda sobering (for lack of a better term).

Man, I was kind of in shock about this last night.  Don't really have much to add other than RIP Jay Briscoe.  The Briscoes were the realest mofos, 100% DIY originals and completely unique.  I didn't see as much of them as all the heads here, but I followed their entire career and still remember watching that outdoor match they had against each other a million years ago when it took me hours just to download 1 match.  And back in the EWR days I would always sign them to WWE and push them up the card

Thankfully his daughters survived.  Sadly not surprised at all that he wasn't wearing his seatbelt.  All the crazy shit he did in the wrestling and that's what gets him.  A college football player from Georgia just died in a car crash, same thing.  Hope we don't find out the other driver was on her phone, just to make it even more senseless

58 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Thankfully his daughters survived.  Sadly not surprised at all that he wasn't wearing his seatbelt.  All the crazy shit he did in the wrestling and that's what gets him.  A college football player from Georgia just died in a car crash, same thing.  Hope we don't find out the other driver was on her phone, just to make it even more senseless

She might have been passing. That is allowed in that area. It really freaked me out the first time I was in a car that did that down there.

I actually randomly met him twice when he was doing one of his weekday jobs in Delaware. Nice guy, as everyone else has mentioned.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Most put the clicker in without the belt even if that means cutting it off or ordering a separate one online. 

Lol, you probably didn’t mean this as a suggestion, but I took it as one.  Ordered spare “clickers” for my vehicles this AM.  That incessant chiming is annoying.

I used to be religious about seatbelt safety, but I had surgery about six years ago and didn’t heal up quite right from that.  Left me with some scar tissue on my right side and clipping in the seatbelt can actually cause me pain on that side.  So I got out of the habit of buckling up and now rarely do it.  I don’t recommend it, but i do it anyway and am reasonably comfortable with not buckling up.  The fine for not wearing your seatbelt is $25 in our state.  Honestly, that’s not much of a deterrent.  Probably needs to be 10 to 100 times thot if they want to deter anybody.  

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

Lol, you probably didn’t mean this as a suggestion, but I took it as one.  Ordered spare “clickers” for my vehicles this AM.  That incessant chiming is annoying.

I used to be religious about seatbelt safety, but I had surgery about six years ago and didn’t heal up quite right from that.  Left me with some scar tissue on my right side and clipping in the seatbelt can actually cause me pain on that side.  So I got out of the habit of buckling up and now rarely do it.  I don’t recommend it, but i do it anyway and am reasonably comfortable with not buckling up.  The fine for not wearing your seatbelt is $25 in our state.  Honestly, that’s not much of a deterrent.  Probably needs to be 10 to 100 times thot if they want to deter anybody.  

My wife has an ileostomy and she uses a pillow designed to fit over seatbelts for people recovering from surgery. It can fit on the harness or the lap part. Of course, if the problem is closer to the buckle area, that probably wouldn't work.

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Driver wearing a seatbelt also died, so this really seems like an odd time and place to even have this debate. 

• Like 4