DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022-23 - DIVISIONAL DEVASTATION WEEKEND!

Dolfan in NYC

The Eagles from tonight against The 49ers of the last 10-12 weeks is going to be epic if we get it next week.

Giants weren't supposed to be any good this year, so pretty happy they even made the playoffs. I'm all in on Buffalo. I wanted a Giants v Bills Super Bowl but now I will settle for a Bills v 49ers Super Bowl. Make it happen football gods.

I'd really like to see one more Daniel Jones season, this time with a good receiving core. You still can't tell if he's good or just lucky. Give him some help and let's see what he's got. Slayton & Richie James ain't it.

• Like 1

We’ve seen the real SB in the CCG before, but we might have 2 SBs this year with 1 being in the DG. Bills/Bengals. I respect the Chiefs but they’re catching a real break getting the winner of that game IMO. I just don’t know how many bullets those 2 teams can take. If 1 of them wins the SB it will be a historic run. And the Eagles/49ers needs no explanation. That game is going to be straight out of the 90s IMO. 

16 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The NFL also did stuff like alternate home field advantage for various playoff games. The 72 Dolphins had to win a road game to go to the Super Bowl. 

I forgot that the NFL had 4 playoff teams per league for awhile, so the rule was  very similar to how the MLB wild card wouldn't play the actual 1 seed if they were in the same division (meaning the Yankees and Red Sox couldn't play each other in the ALDS)

There was a video I was watching the other day that said that home field for the playoffs actually rotated by division once upon a time.

Specifically, the video was on the 1974 Vikings. That year, the top 4 teams (Vikings, Niners, Cardinals, and Redskins) were all 10-4, but because it was the NFC Central's turn to have home field, the Vikings got home field advantage that season. So, with the Wild Card rule, the Vikings played the Cardinals and the Redskins played the Rams.

Just seems a strange way of doing things, honestly.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Looks like we may be getting some snow for the Bills game. Don't think it'll be anything epic, probably just a normal snowfall. Very little wind. Games in elements are always a little more fun to watch.

Not sure about that "just a normal snowfall" part.  In Buffalo it is just another fall to them though

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Bills deciding to splurge for a new stadium without a roof is going to end up biting them in the ass between the snowstorm cancellations and bad-weather games

considering Western New York weather, it feels like the place where lake effect snow might destroy the Bills roof randomly

38 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The ways the NFL have made "what is a catch" near impossible to determine certainly has made football better.

The Shield told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

WAR IS PEACE. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. IT'S NOT A CATCH UNLESS YOU COMPLETE THE PROCESS WHEN FALLING TO THE GROUND

But really, though, don't you think the rulebook's fixation with minutae and microdetails like this drag the game's rules beyond the capacity of the human eye to accurately officiate in real time fuel this greater phenomenon of repeatedly being told what we saw happen didn't actually happen and, thus, exacerbate the problem of the officials looking bad and, to the more conspiracy minded folks among us, that the on field results are at least partially engineered?

1 minute ago, BobbyWhioux said:

The Shield told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

WAR IS PEACE. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. IT'S NOT A CATCH UNLESS YOU COMPLETE THE PROCESS WHEN FALLING TO THE GROUND

But really, though, don't you think the rulebook's fixation with minutae and microdetails like this drag the game's rules beyond the capacity of the human eye to accurately officiate in real time fuel this greater phenomenon of repeatedly being told what we saw happen didn't actually happen and, thus, exacerbate the problem of the officials looking bad and, to the more conspiracy minded folks among us, that the on field results are at least partially engineered?

So what you're saying is..... it's fixed