DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022-23 - DIVISIONAL DEVASTATION WEEKEND!

Dolfan in NYC

both Henne and Lawrence are sorta dink and dunking it out there, which is sorta amusing since Lawrence is presumably way way better than Chad Henne

I hope that playing on grass with Mahomes ankle is better than playing on most kinds of field turf. Getting points to make it a 2 score game would be helpful and Henne's not gonna win you a game vs Trevor Lawrence short of getting a lot of luck.

If there are any certainties in life, its that coaches won't protect their players from themselves, especially in big games. I don't blame Mahomes, but either the coaches or doctor needs to say 'Hey, I know you can play, but Henne knows the offense well and can get us through this one."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

one day people will realize that QB sneaks (or in the case of KC, de facto QB sneaks) on 3rd/4th and 1 is a stupid trend

Isn't it far and away the most consistently successful play in those situations every single year?

6 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea the success rate on QB Sneaks on less than 1 is really high, I dunno if the Eagles have missed one all year.

There were a bunch of articles this week about how the Eagles basically are the master of QB sneaks now because they are taking full advantage of the gray area in the pushing and pulling rules.

And it apparently comes down all to Jason Kelce

Teams are learning they have to do it themselves until the league cracks down on the rule

The Athletic

According to TruMedia, the Eagles sneaked 32 times this season (we defined a QB sneak as a designed rush by a quarterback under center with 2 yards or less to convert) for a 90.6 percent conversion rate. That’s more than any team has sneaked in a season in this millennium (as far back as TruMedia’s data goes) and more than double the Eagles’ number from last season (14, 92.9 percent conversion). The next closest teams are the 2020 Patriots and the 2010 Jaguars with 21 sneaks each. In the three seasons that Hurts has started NFL games, teams have averaged 7.1 sneaks per season.

New York Times

The already-effective quarterback sneak changed strategically this year, thanks mostly to the Philadelphia Eagles, who executed 33 sneaks for 29 first downs or touchdowns, both figures the highest on record. Taking advantage of a long-ignored 2006 rule change that allows players to push their teammates forward, the Eagles typically surround Jalen Hurts in short-yardage situations with three compatriots tasked with shoving their quarterback through the pile like a battering ram.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There were a bunch of articles this week about how the Eagles basically are the master of QB sneaks now because they are taking full advantage of the gray area in the pushing and pulling rules.

And it apparently comes down all to Jason Kelce

Teams are learning they have to do it themselves until the league cracks down on the rule

The Athletic

New York Times

I mean, it also helps when your QB can also squat 2 of your center.

• Like 1