DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/16 - 1/22/2023

Dolfan in NYC

WWE's writing of the shows is lot diffrent these days.   Not much of Vince's quirks left in the current shows. 

Happy Bobby won. 

Otis old self back is weird.

RAW is XXX next week. 30 years of RAW.

The Bloodline/Judgement Day segment was decent and makes me want to see Dom talk about his time in prison in front of Booker T and MVP.

All that leading into Solo/Ali wa snice. The match was a fun squash. Owens getting his walking tall moment at the end was done well. 

Street Profits vs. Cedric/Shelton was nice up until the MVP interference.

Omos/Elias was a perfectly fine squash. Feels like Omos is moving just a pinch better than before.

Alpha Academy vs. Priest/Dom built into a good little match with the Academy slowing going fully into the face roles due tot he crowd love for Otis.

Io/Mia was pretty solid though it also showed just little momentum any of the women involved have right now with how little the crowd cared. 

Bronson/Tozawa was a good extended squash that saw both men look good.

The 6-way elimination was generally good with the eliminations being well done. Kind of dug how Omos was used. Its interesting seeing them hint towards a return of the Hurt Business with MVP clearly wanting all of his guys together but things not getting off to a great start so far. 

• Like 2

Sorry I'm so late!  DAK motherfucking PRESCOTT!  and the DALLAS motherfucking COWBOYS!  It's Mustafa Ali!  It's Solo Sikoa!  Ali makes Sikoa look like a total killer.  Ali ducks out of the way of Solo's buttocks!  Other than that, Kevin Owens comes out and distracts Sikoa so that Ali can get in something!  Sikoa with the Samoan Spike and then Owens attacks Sikoa!  That was a fun pull apart!  Shelton Benjamin looks great in this.  Nice Lariat by Montez Ford.  Cedric Alexander attempts to murder Ford with an attempt to German Suplex him off the apron!  Angelo Dawkins makes the hot tag on a heat segment that was completely masked by commercials!  BEAUTIFUL Love Machine Splash by Montez Ford.  Crazy Toprope Belly to Belly by Benjamin.  SWEET Tope Con Hilo by Dawkins!  MVP does...something?  Nasty Knee To the Face by Alexander.  Counter to a roll up and Street Profits get the win.  That was good.  I fast forwarded through the Omos match and didn't feel the urge to go back to it.  I am filled with shame.  Dominick Mysterio and Damien Priest take on Chad Gable and Otis!  Priest and Gable are fun in the ring together.  Gable is all wacky on the mat.  Otis is AWESOME popping and locking!  GREAT Released Vertical Suplex by Priest.  That was a CRAZY Diving Headbutt by Gable.  OTIS is so OVER.  OTIS hits the Worm!  Dominick bumps BIG on the floor, taking an Exploider on the floor!  EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX by Gable!  Chokeslam by Priest on Gable as Rhea Ripley distracts the ref and Dominick covers him for the win!  That was fucking great.  Put the belts on the Alpha Academy!  It's IYO SKY!  It's Michin Mia Yim!  Mia Yim looks good in this.  Nice Missile Dropkick by IYO.  They do a bunch of stuff.  IYo leans into Yim's kicks to the face.  Nice German Suplex by Yim.  Yim hits her finisher and gets the pin!  That was perfectly fine.  I guess they are setting up SKY/KAI vs Yim/LeRae, which will be good.  It's Akira Tozawa!  It's Bronson Reed!  Reed VADERS Tozawa and IT'S FUN!  Tozawa is awesome on his comeback!  Reed cuts him off by completely murdering Tozawa.  The Shoulder off the apron was scarier than the Powerbomb into the Rail.  Reed has the best Top Rope Splash!  That was fun.  And it's a mini battle royal!  The Miz is fun making zany faces.  Baron Corbin and Seth Rollins battle it out from the top!  Finn Balor is added to it and Lashley Powerbombs everybody!  All participants hit a finisher on Bobby Lashley!  The Miz looks great in this, with the kicks and what have you.  Dolph Ziggler sells the Miz's Figure Four like Lex Luger!  Seth Rollins pins the Miz and we go to commercial!  Dolph Ziggler would be hilarious winning this.  He should go back to NXT.  That was fun.  Rollins hits a Tope.  Finn Balor hits a Tope Con Hilo!  Ziggler hits a nice Plancha!  Ziggler kills everyone until Rollins shows up to eliminate bim with a Pedrigree!  Ziggler looked good.  Lashley is selling for everybody (because he wins!  I read Evion's post!)  Lashley then starts beating the crud out of everyone.  NICE Delayed Vertical Suplex by Lashley on Balor!  Balor hits the Coup De Grace!  And is then pinned by Rollins!  Omos chucks Rollins into the Pounce Zone!  Lashley Spears Corbin for the pin!  The booking takes over as Rollins and Omos and Austin Theory do a wad of stuff to set up Lashley to hit another Spear to get the win!  That was good.  That was a good episode.

• Like 3

I know DEAN doesn't normally cover the promos but... god in heaven was this the moment of the show:

He's also incorporated the teardrop tattoo.  Just amazing. 

He's absolutely going to yell at Rhea one day to let him fight his own battles and get obliterated.  That's going to rule. 

• Like 1

What I caught of Hayes/Trick vs. Apollo/Axiom was pretty fun.

Alba/Sol was nice while it lasted. kind of like how they are working their way to an Alba heel turn and likely team with Dawn. The later segment with the KCs was a decent setup for all of it.

Gallus vs. Briggs/Jensen was solid-good. The back sell by Jensen was good and I dug how it all eventually built into the big spot removing him from the match. 

Thea/Feroz was short but nice while it lasted. Kind of like the idea of Elektra trying to lure in Feroz under her wing. 

The Waller & Bron interviews with Vic were well done and generally solid. The cage match actually feels like something big.

Bate/Javi was a good showcase for Bate with Javi still getting his moments to shine.

Roxanne/Lyra vs. Toxic Attraction was good. Kind of surprised at how much they squeezed in action and story wise. The Cora interferenc elate in made sense, and I loved Roxanne's massive grin when Jacey accidently hit Gigi. Really nice overall.

The world is fucking awful.  Let's enjoy some professional wrestling.  The Viking Warriors are awesome.  Sheamus and Drew McIntyre are such a feelgood tag team.  Holy Shit!  We have a contender for match of the week because they beating the hell out of each other.  Man, they are laying it in.  This match is fucking great.  The VR dude with hair is the Booker T of the tag team.  AWESOME Michinoku Driver by Drew.  VR makes a comeback on Drew!  Be-haired VR is fucking awesome in this, selling GIANT moves.  Sheamus tags in and he and bald dude beat the living fudge out of each other.  BHVR hits an AWESOME Toprope Splash FOR TWO!  Sheamus kicks BHVR in the head and gets the pin.  That match was fucking GREAT!  It's LA Knight!  My fast forward works!  It's Los Lotharios and Hit Row!  Oh man, I fear for Top Dollah!  I hope he keeps it in the ring.  Ashante the Adonis is our worker of Hit Row.  Los Lotharios can't possibly win this.  Oh!  I forgot that Hit Row had a heel turn.  They CHEAT to win.  Poor Los Lotharios.  Let's see if Imperium and Brawling Brutes can touch the assbeating of the first tag match.  This is more of a regular pro style match than an assbeating.  Butch was Ricky Morton while we were in commercial break, and make the hot tag to Ridge Holland.  Holland IS babyface Lex Luger!  Kaiser is the Booker T of this tag team.  Vinci is also the Booker T of his tag team.  Vinci hits a GNARLY Brainbuster on the floor!  Holland goes total Steiner which we need to watch because of his history.  Imperium hits a Doomsday Device VARIATION!  That was good.  That was high caliber professional wrestling.  It's the Maximum Male Models!  VINCE IS BACK!  It's Legado del Fantasma!  This is kind of the Factory vs the Trustbusters.   Except there is no Slim J or QT Marshal.  MMM are actually more of old WCW tag team, High Voltage.  LdF wins!  I think this is first time they have actually won.  That was one GREAT tag match and one REALLY GOOD tag match so I guess HHH is still hanging on to power.  Everything else was kinda crappy, but YEAH- Viking Raiders vs Sheamus/ Drew McIntyre was DEFINITELY my WWE match of the week.   IMPERIUM/ BRAWLING BRUTES was also REALLY GOOD!  That was fun.

• Like 3

My DVR fucked up and I had to record the show an hour in. Luckily there was a Spanish replay on one of the Fox sports channels. Have to say even in WWE Spanish announcing just sounds so excitable. I enjoy it despite understanding damn near none of it. 

Anyways, Drew/Sheamus vs. Viking Raiders was pretty damn good giving you exactly what you want with the teams dropping bombs when they weren't just beating the shit out of each other. Its a shame this was the first match instead of the finals.

Hit Row vs. Los Lotharios was solid while it lasted.

Imperium vs. Brawling Brutes was good stuff. not the bomb dropping brawl we had earlier, but good solid tag wrestling. Holland is coming around nicely and seems a bit more confident than he did last year when the team started. The chemistry between him and Bitch gets better and better. 

Legado del Fantasma vs. MMM was short but decent enough. I'm happy to see MMM get tv time though I wish it was less wrestling and more the fantastically dumb segments they do. I really hope they just convince Tyler Breeze to come back and join MMM.

FInal segment with the Bloodline and KO was a solid moment in KO's favo.

• Like 3

Unsure if it goes here or the general thread one forum up, but the NXT Instagram has posted entrance clips from a recent house show with Bron / Lyra / Roxy v Waller / Toxic Attraction (The Toxic Attraction Effect) and the heel entrance has Waller gyrating to the point where I almost cracked up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cns4eixhSRY/

(Previous NXT House Show shenanigans have included Bayley and Balor swapping entrances, doing the lift from Dirty Dancing, an entire team doing Nakamura's sprawl, and a Sami / Bayley v Breeze / Banks tag that I'd absolutely love to see. )

We also have Trick Williams pinning a referee. https://www.instagram.com/p/CnsyG6KBQox/

Edited by Iron Moose
  • Like 2